ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

For those of you (like me) who don't like the lower quality downloads of Apple or Amazon, you can get Lossless music at 7Digital. They also have higher quality compressed music at 320 kbps instead of the 256 kbps version at Amazon or Apple. 

320 kbps MP3 is $1.29
16 bit FLAC is $1.79    https://us.7digital.com/artist/guns-n-roses/release/absuяd-explicit-17308459
24 bit FLAC is $2.29    https://us.7digital.com/artist/guns-n-roses/release/absuяd-explicit-17308447

Personally I buy the 16 bit FLAC versions and then convert them to Apple Lossless for iTunes and iPhone usage. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

For those of you (like me) who don't like the lower quality downloads of Apple or Amazon, you can get Lossless music at 7Digital. They also have higher quality compressed music at 320 kbps instead of the 256 kbps version at Amazon or Apple. 

320 kbps MP3 is $1.29
16 bit FLAC is $1.79    https://us.7digital.com/artist/guns-n-roses/release/absuяd-explicit-17308459
24 bit FLAC is $2.29    https://us.7digital.com/artist/guns-n-roses/release/absuяd-explicit-17308447

Personally I buy the 16 bit FLAC versions and then convert them to Apple Lossless for iTunes and iPhone usage. 

It's in MQA on Tidal as well. I don't know a ton about HQ digital audio just yet, but I'm not sure if MQA is as good as the sources you listed. It did sound awesome from Tidal through my system last night though. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

It's in MQA on Tidal as well. I don't know a ton about HQ digital audio just yet, but I'm not sure if MQA is as good as the sources you listed. It did sound awesome from Tidal through my system last night though. 

MQA is pretty damn good. Of course it requires a subscription to the service, haha. I'm still pretty old school. I don't listen to music often enough to use a subscription service, so I prefer to buy the music instead of subscription streaming. I really like 7Digital because the prices are pretty competitive with the likes of Apple & Amazon, even though 7Digital is offering much higher quality music. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I was late to the game on the Beta thing. I didn't see/hear about her comments until way late yesterday. 

Her comments are unbelievable, uncalled for and really make the band look bad. 

Beta makes it sound like it isn't a joke from Axl. Maybe they really think it is a HUGE song and they want to protect Axl from negative comments?

6 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

MQA is pretty damn good. Of course it requires a subscription to the service, haha. I'm still pretty old school. I don't listen to music often enough to use a subscription service, so I prefer to buy the music instead of subscription streaming. I really like 7Digital because the prices are pretty competitive with the likes of Apple & Amazon, even though 7Digital is offering much higher quality music. 

Right on. I only have a Tidal subscription because I get a huge discount from being a Third Man Vault member. I get the highest tier membership for $5, so that's definitely worth it. 

I do need to start looking into other services though, so thanks for the heads up! 

5 minutes ago, ThePreacher said:

Beta makes it sound like it isn't a joke from Axl. Maybe they really think it is a HUGE song and they want to protect Axl from negative comments?

Probably, yeah. The thing I don't get is her insulting people over facts. It IS a 20 year old song that's been reworked. That's just a fact and Beta telling people something vile like "the world would be a better place without you" doesn't change that 

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not being over dramatic when I say I was stunned at her comments. 

Like you said, the general vibe around GN'R is so positive over the last few days. Even people who don't love the song are excited. Leave it to TB / Beta to completely misread the situation, see only the bad, then react poorly. 

Oh well.....at least all of us on this forum are having a great time :)

This just highlights how amateur TB are as a management team. The first big and positive step GNR have taken by releasing a song and adding positivity among fans and beta goes and shows why the previous years before it were a shambles. 

• ABSUЯD 2

15 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

320 kbps MP3 is $1.29

I paid £10 all in, trying to find a 24 bit. Tidal charged me £4.60 for something that I thought was 24 bit FLAC, but turned out not to be the case. Ended up finding the 24 bit elsewhere for more than half the price. 

You're welcome, Team Brazil!

• ABSUЯD 2

23 hours ago, gnr5 said:

Radio is still the number one source to find new artists, this is by a study (no i do t have the link smartasses)

radio isnt dead

Anecdotally, I still discover new shit on the radio while driving.  I had a subscription to SiriusXM for a long time and was on Hop Hop Nation and Alt Nation quite a bit. 

• ABSUЯD 1

I must say that Silkworms was always meh for me. not anything noticeable (but also not anything I would hate). but this version is kinda cool to me. I like the guitars (no matter who plays them), it has kinda punk vibe in it, it's energic. which is pretty absurd, compared to the overall feeling from the old version, which was kinda bland and drowning in electronics, which had kinda opposite effect.

so yeah, I consider this more or less a lol yolo joke release, which is kinda entertaining. it works surprisingly fine for me, especially after a number of listenings of high quality version, which seems to better reveal some subtle tones, which are more buried in the mix of Youtube for example.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not being over dramatic when I say I was stunned at her comments. 

Like you said, the general vibe around GN'R is so positive over the last few days. Even people who don't love the song are excited. Leave it to TB / Beta to completely misread the situation, see only the bad, then react poorly. 

Oh well.....at least all of us on this forum are having a great time :)

Exactly. It doesn't really matter whether some of us individually aren't keen on the track. There's always been a handful of GNR songs I tend to skip. I'm happy for those who do like it but mostly just happy that it's kicked a bit of life into the creative side of the band and also the fandom.

• GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I love CD, this ain't that (not for me anyway). :lol:

I just mean in general.. The CD fans are excited about all Axl's leaks and such finally being released. It seems like the fanbse is about to get split up again.  The reunion brought a lot of fans back and I don't think it was so they could hear Slash record his replacments parts on songs he had nothing to do with.  I good portion of the people I associate are rock fans and I don't know one of them that was into CD or likes this song.  I just got a text 10 minutes ago saying that Absurd was the first song on his spotify station this morning and he couldn't give it a thumbs down because he still wants to hear GnR on his station. 

Since you like CD, what it is that you don't like about it?  To me it sounds like it fits right in on that record. 

• Like 1

Does anyone think the decision to release Absurd was only made very recently? I know it’s hard to tell with just the one show in 2020 but considering it was only Hard school that was on the alt list I think if it wasn’t for COVID then Hard school would’ve come out first. Was Absurd maybe recorded during lockdown and once they listened to it they just said “fuck it just go with Absurd first “ ? (Probably for a laugh ) 

it just seems to have come from nowhere 

8 minutes ago, alfierose said:

but mostly just happy that it's kicked a bit of life into the creative side of the band

Funny how everyone sees things different.. I don't see this as being the slightest bit creative for this lineup... To me it seems quite the opposite.. They literally just re-recorded guitar parts that were already written and recorded by another incarnation of the band. 

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

I just mean in general.. The CD fans are excited about all Axl's leaks and such finally being released. It seems like the fanbse is about to get split up again.  The reunion brought a lot of fans back and I don't think it was so they could hear Slash record his replacments parts on songs he had nothing to do with.  I good portion of the people I associate are rock fans and I don't know one of them that was into CD or likes this song.  I just got a text 10 minutes ago saying that Absurd was the first song on his spotify station this morning and he couldn't give it a thumbs down because he still wants to hear GnR on his station. 

Since you like CD, what it is that you don't like about it?  To me it sounds like it fits right in on that record. 

I'm not sure how to describe it really. For me it doesn't have any kind of hook or real chorus. Slash's work has improved it a bit but it's still a bit too 'screechy noise' to my ears. That said I do like Shacklers and Chi Dem and can see how it's sort of an evolution (or forerunner?) to the sound of those songs. 

I'm just not overly keen on the industrial sound generally with a few notable exceptions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Funny how everyone sees things different.. I don't see this as being the slightest bit creative for this lineup... To me it seems quite the opposite.. They literally just re-recorded guitar parts that were already written and recorded by another incarnation of the band. 

That's bad wording on my part, I don't disagree with you. I was trying to find a way to describe the side of the band that is separate from just the greatest hits touring machine.

• Like 1

I totally get that argument, but it's fine with me. 

I remember Van Halen fans being all up in arms about that approach for A Different Kind of Truth. 

That album is in my Top 3 VH albums and I couldn't care less how old or reworked the songs are that make up the album. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

this lineup is not there for creativity purposes... I hoped all people managed to realise that within the 5 years, but some still expect them to actually create something, instead of endlessly milking the casuals for AFD with a dash of UYI.

I'd not be so naive :) the last time this band went through creativity phase is around 2000, and literally nothing (besides some overdubs and re-recordings) has been made since then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

For the most part you can see it is mostly fans of CD that are into it and excited. The rest of the world and fans aren't..

I personally love Chinese as an album, and supported that entire period by seeing them around a dozen times over the years., but, this song?  I've thought it was atrocious since watching the Rio gig via RealMedia player back in college. 

Don't get me wrong, plenty of gems from that period they could polish off.  In fact, if the plan is to simply re-release unfinished CD demos with grafted parts by Duff & Slash glued on, they're almost better off using vocal takes from twenty years ago, anyway.  

I just can't believe that this is what they stepped out with first.

1 minute ago, oneway23 said:

Don't get me wrong, plenty of gems from that period they could polish off.  In fact, if the plan is to simply re-release unfinished CD demos with grafted parts by Duff & Slash glued on, they're almost better off using vocal takes from twenty years ago, anyway.  

I just can't believe that this is what they stepped out with first.

I believe that is what is the most likely to happen (if anything, of course).

and I also believe that this was indeed just a joke release, because why not.

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think the first step is satisfying Axl's desire to finish the Chinese project. Get a full album released of Chinese Leftover tunes, hopefully by end of this year. Then you move forward with legitimately brand new stuff in 2-3 years.

Personally I really liked the addition of Slash & Duff onto Silkworms. I think those guys made it a better song, even if it's arguably a song that could never be truly saved in the first place. Given the contributions of Slash & Duff on this track, I am excited to see what those 2 guys can do for songs like Hard School and others. 

4 hours ago, jettesnel said:

So why was it on CD back in 2000? The record company didnt want Silkworms on the comeback album, thats why it wasnt on CD. Im sure Axl likes Silkworms/absurd, so does I to some degree.

What's the source for that? There is no confirmation, as far as I know, on any specific songs being rejected by the label. There was Bob Ezrin who had been hired by the label as an advisor and said that Axl had only two good songs, but there's no proof that Axl submitted an album to the label and they sent it back (or that the label did so with any particular songs).

8 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

Does anyone think the decision to release Absurd was only made very recently? I know it’s hard to tell with just the one show in 2020 but considering it was only Hard school that was on the alt list I think if it wasn’t for COVID then Hard school would’ve come out first. Was Absurd maybe recorded during lockdown and once they listened to it they just said “fuck it just go with Absurd first “ ? (Probably for a laugh ) 

it just seems to have come from nowhere

Yes, I think this is really plausible.

• ABSUЯD 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

What's the source for that? There is no confirmation, as far as I know, on any specific songs being rejected by the label. There was Bob Ezrin who had been hired by the label as an advisor and said that Axl had only two good songs, but there's no proof that Axl submitted an album to the label and they sent it back (or that the label did so with any particular songs).

Didn't Axl said something about Jimmy Iovine telling the songs and the album needed more work and that comment jeopardized the confidence he had on the album?