ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

There is no 'joke' release. That sounds like fans who don't like the song being in denial because they can't believe their favorite band put out a tune that they don't like. This is like when a band releases an album with a bad mix and the fans just swear that the 'real' mix will be released later, which is entirely nonsensical.

It's the first release since 2008, it has artwork and a visualizer, and it's been played live twice now (with much gusto from Axl, by the way). Beta is defending it online.

You might not like it, but it's not a joke or a throwaway - it's their new song, and one they stand behind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not being over dramatic when I say I was stunned at her comments. 

Like you said, the general vibe around GN'R is so positive over the last few days. Even people who don't love the song are excited. Leave it to TB / Beta to completely misread the situation, see only the bad, then react poorly. 

Oh well.....at least all of us on this forum are having a great time :)

What's being misread?  In what possible way are things going poorly?  The internet is a toilet but the #1 song on streaming services?  That should speak for itself.

Overall, this seems to be a fairly well run promotion campaign.  I've been finding copies of as many of the leaks as I could over the years, and I've never thought of Silkworms as anything but Silmworms.  From making sure that all of the articles referenced a "new" song called Absurd (the name had to come from the band, right), to the unexpected release.  Good times!

See.  The Taylor Swift model can and should work for GNR.

Edited by Spike Killer

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I totally get that argument, but it's fine with me. 

I remember Van Halen fans being all up in arms about that approach for A Different Kind of Truth. 

That album is in my Top 3 VH albums and I couldn't care less how old or reworked the songs are that make up the album. 

Russ, I'm glad someone brought this up, because I've been thinking about that a lot this morning.  Fantastic album; honestly should have gotten infinitely more attention than it did.  For any fan of hard rock, please do yourself a favor and check it out.  I can put that on at any time over the past nine years, and it still blows me away.

That said, for me, the direct comparison doesn't hold, and, I'll tell you why:  For all the talk about Diamond Dave's vocals, brothaman re-recorded everything contemporaneously; he didn't use the vocal takes from the 1978 Gene Simmons demos.  In many cases, he wrote all new lyrics.  In other words, he put the damn work in.

Same for the band.  All fresh recordings, new arrangements, in some cases, and, most importantly, a few brand-new tunes sprinkled in.

Forget Absurd.  Gettin' heated all over again to blast that album...smokes!

Some of the best playing of Ed & Alex's career

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I totally get that argument, but it's fine with me. 

I remember Van Halen fans being all up in arms about that approach for A Different Kind of Truth. 

That album is in my Top 3 VH albums and I couldn't care less how old or reworked the songs are that make up the album. 

I think you have to separate the hardcore fan experience from the real world. Most people haven't heard Silkworms. We can only speculate how it went down, but if I was a betting man, I would guess that maybe Slash heard it, liked the vibe and wanted to add his own touch to it and Axl was happy enough with the final result to finally put it out as an official product. There's no denying the riff and lead work Slash added to the mix really transform the song from the original electronica/Prodigy vibe to more of a traditional punk-rock number, so to my ears, the change in vibe is creative enough to warrant this as a worthy release.

Edited by Towelie
  • ABSUЯD 2

2 minutes ago, Spike Killer said:

What's being misread?  In what possible way are things going poorly?  The internet is a toilet but the #1 song on streaming services?  That should speak for itself.

Overall, this seems to be a fairly well run promotion campaign.  I've been finding copies of as many of the leaks as I could over the years, and I've never thought of Silkworms as anything but Silmworms.  From making sure that all of the articles referenced a "new" song called Absurd (the name had to come from the band, right), to the unexpected release.  Good times!

See.  The Taylor Swift model can and should work for GNR.

I agree with you, but obviously Beta doesn't lol. She's choosing to see only the negative comments and then react to them in the worst way possible 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I was late to the game on the Beta thing. I didn't see/hear about her comments until way late yesterday. 

Her comments are unbelievable, uncalled for and really make the band look bad. 

Beta randomly answered me on a comment from 15 hours or so prior on meegans Instagram. Found it kinda odd but also cool at the same time someone answered me

3 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Russ, I'm glad someone brought this up, because I've been thinking about that a lot this morning.  Fantastic album; honestly should have gotten infinitely more attention than it did.  For any fan of hard rock, please do yourself a favor and check it out.  I can put that on at any time over the past nine years, and it still blows me away.

That said, for me, the direct comparison doesn't hold, and, I'll tell you why:  For all the talk about Diamond Dave's vocals, brothaman re-recorded everything contemporaneously; he didn't use the vocal takes from the 1978 Gene Simmons demos.  In many cases, he wrote all new lyrics.  In other words, he put the damn work in.

Same for the band.  All fresh recordings, new arrangements, in some cases, and, most importantly, a few brand-new tunes sprinkled in.

Forget Absurd.  Gettin' heated all over again to blast that album...smokes!

Some of the best playing of Ed & Alex's career

I hear all of your points. You're totally right. It's a loose comparison on my part but I think it holds to a certain extent. 

However, I obviously couldn't agree with you more on what a monster album aDKoT is. It's just a huge, huge album that deserves more attention. Like you said, some of Ed & Al's best playing ever 

• Like 2

There's something deliciously ironic about some the original guys re-uniting, only to re-record a dated industrial rock tune that is exactly the style of tune that caused them to all abandon ship all that time ago.

You KNOW how petty and vindictive Axl can be.  Bet he's sittin' there with a sh*t-eating grin thinking, "Got 'ya!"

Axl playing the long con, y'all...He finally won! :awesomeface:

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 2

1 hour ago, Gold top 78 said:

This just highlights how amateur TB are as a management team. The first big and positive step GNR have taken by releasing a song and adding positivity among fans and beta goes and shows why the previous years before it were a shambles. 

Axy Waxy's Mommy is online defending his feewings from those dirty meanies! :bitchfight:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I hear all of your points. You're totally right. It's a loose comparison on my part but I think it holds to a certain extent. 

However, I obviously couldn't agree with you more on what a monster album aDKoT is. It's just a huge, huge album that deserves more attention. Like you said, some of Ed & Al's best playing ever 

If gnr come out with an album as good as A different kind of truth my mind will explode. I'm hoping this is a tattoo scenario and that the rest of the songs are absolute killers🤞 I even grew to liking Tattoo over the years🤣 it took years though, so sorry Beta / Absurd it's gonna take time

https://www.loudersound.com/features/our-first-reaction-to-the-new-guns-n-roses-single-absuyad

This review is astonishing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Personally I would not want new vocals from Axl on these old songs. His voice is not as good 20 years later than it was in the late 90's or early 2000's. I haven't listened to the Van Halen album you guys are discussing, but the idea of a much older David Lee Roth doing new vocals does not sound good to me...especially if he already had "prime" vocals recorded back in the day. 

• ABSUЯD 1

Hey, at least she didn't tell you that the world would be a lot better place without you in it like she did to some other guy. All because he pointed out facts regarding the songs lineage lol

She said that to someone who claimed Axl used autotune and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a response to more things that guy has said. 

Still, Beta shouldn't bother to respond to shit posts and trolls. 

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

4 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

There's something deliciously ironic about some the original guys re-uniting, only to re-record a dated industrial rock tune that is exactly the style of tune that caused them to all abandon ship all that time ago.

You KNOW how petty and vindictive Axl can be.  Bet he's sittin' there with a sh*t-eating grin thinking, "Got 'ya!"

Axl playing the long con, y'all...He finally won! :awesomeface:

that is also why I consider it a joke release, or maybe more specifically an "insider joke" (he even said that in the live show before they played it first).

and also as a funny joke towards the diehard fans of classic GNR - they universally hate anything which doesn't have Slash on it (just because it doesn't have Slash on it and doesn't sound like 80's hair metal), so they just went out with the most different/weird/modern sounding song they had, while it has Slash prominently playing all over it and the song itself is more or less meh.

if this is not a successfully executed trolling maneuver towards some bitter oldschool fans, then I don't know what else. me personally, I had a really good laugh over this and got amused :D

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

She said that to someone who claimed Axl used autotune and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a response to more things that guy has said. 

Still, Beta shouldn't bother to respond to shit posts and trolls. 

While I agree that there are some shit posts and trolls for sure, she seemed to go off the rails on anyone who has negative things to say. 

It's totally OK for people to not like this song just like it's OK for people to love it. Different strokes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

If gnr come out with an album as good as A different kind of truth my mind will explode. I'm hoping this is a tattoo scenario and that the rest of the songs are absolute killers🤞 I even grew to liking Tattoo over the years🤣 it took years though, so sorry Beta / Absurd it's gonna take time

https://www.loudersound.com/features/our-first-reaction-to-the-new-guns-n-roses-single-absuyad

This review is astonishing 

Yes, Tom!  We've got another fan here....Tattoo was a grower for me, too.  Having said that, I'll always contend that Blood & Fire was the absolute PERFECT lead single (Band history in the song, "Look at all of the people"...bit, "Told 'ya I was comin' back:, etc.).  In my alternate universe, that song gets released, and VH rockets back into general prominence.  Ah, well...

To swing it back to GN'R, yes, let's hope they've got the goods to deliver a stunner.

3 minutes ago, zombux said:

that is also why I consider it a joke release, or maybe more specifically an "insider joke" (he even said that in the live show before they played it first).

and also as a funny joke towards the diehard fans of classic GNR - they universally hate anything which doesn't have Slash on it (just because it doesn't have Slash on it and doesn't sound like 80's hair metal), so they just went out with the most different/weird/modern sounding song they had, while it has Slash prominently playing all over it and the song itself is more or less meh.

if this is not a successfully executed trolling maneuver towards some bitter oldschool fans, then I don't know what else. me personally, I had a really good laugh over this and got amused :D

I think it's hilarious. The word "ABSURD" is a pretty good description for how a lot of GN'R fans might feel about this song. The word "ABSURD" is also a pretty accurate description of the GN'R saga the last 25 years. Slash & Duff recording on a very industrial sounding track when they quit the band in the first place because they didn't agree with Axl's industrial preferences...ABSURD!!!

• ABSUЯD 1

17 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Didn't Axl said something about Jimmy Iovine telling the songs and the album needed more work and that comment jeopardized the confidence he had on the album?

Yes, he said something like that in 2001 (without mentioning Iovine's name), but it doesn't mean that he submitted a finished album and the label sent it back:

Axl: And the record companies also kept wanting to help to make the record better, and so every time we'd think we would have the right songs or the record, then somebody would say that – you  know, someone would think that we could maybe make it better, and so then we would start over again. So we kept collecting songs, and kept recording and recording...

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3079-2001-01-22-rock-pop-fm-argentina-interview-with-axl

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Yes, Tom!  We've got another fan here....Tattoo was a grower for me, too.  Having said that, I'll always contend that Blood & Fire was the absolute PERFECT lead single (Band history in the song, "Look at all of the people"...bit, "Told 'ya I was comin' back:, etc.).  In my alternate universe, that song gets released, and VH rockets back into general prominence.  Ah, well...

To swing it back to GN'R, yes, let's hope they've got the goods to deliver a stunner.

For me it's Big River and you and your blues. But blood and fire was such a kick in the head of a song! Amazing. Bullethead, China Town... relentless!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I think it's hilarious. The word "ABSURD" is a pretty good description for how a lot of GN'R fans might feel about this song. The word "ABSURD" is also a pretty accurate description of the GN'R saga the last 25 years. Slash & Duff recording on a very industrial sounding track when they quit the band in the first place because they didn't agree with Axl's industrial preferences...ABSURD!!!

Neither quit primarily over the direction of music. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Gotta say that, that was the funniest part of the whole thing. Slash is gonna have to amend his book.

I don't know if Duff was as opposed to the industrial direction seen as he stayed up to 1997

3 minutes ago, zombux said:

zombux, you're one of the people I've enjoyed conversing with on here over the years when I pop around now & again, and I'm really grateful for the effort you've put into organizing info for the fanbase, but, brother, you just won the non-existent award for creative writing with this one here! LOL

Not saying Axl isn't a sociopath-level thinker capable of pulling something like this off, but, if he actually did?  Yowza!

Like you said, thanks for the laugh, bubba.  That would be some next-level, tin foil Alex Jones right there.  HAHA  Too much

• Thanks 1

Lol can’t believe they released Silkworms. So many memories. 

How they came to this decision… who fuckin knows… just another crazy chapter in the batshit insane novel of gnr. The general public will tear this song to shreds.

let it be known that I submitted this definition of silkworms to urban dictionary back in the olden days. 
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=silkworm&amp=true&defid=2222554

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Neither quit primarily over the direction of music. 

It was a major factor in the tension that existed. Axl didn't like Slash's old school classic rock ideas. Slash & Duff didn't like Axl's industrial ideas. Throw in Axl's dictatorial behavior and the implosion makes a ton of sense.