ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

31 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

Everyone I play this song for just hates it.  It’s rubbish. Was rubbish back in 2001 when they performed it at RIR and is even worse 20 years later.  It’s just so embarrassing that this is the first song together after all these years and they couldn’t even write a song about being back together again.  

Where is The General?  Where is Crash Diet? Where are all the other Big Guns we heard Axl had up his sleeve?  If this is it then we are about to get a terrible album of B side crap that was shelved 20 years ago. 

this song is only appreciated by angry men living in their mom’s basement. GNR is embarrassing themselves. 

I agree totally. We need to remember that Axl has done a great job hiding the fact that he peaked creatively in the late 80s.

5 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Far too much negativity on here at the moment. Guns n Roses just officially released a new song. Who cares if it is 20 years old. Just enjoy it. Live life.

But that’s just it!  It’s not a new song! It’s a 20 year old cut and paste hack job with the lyrics “pussy full of maggots”.  What is there to enjoy?!

Just now, megaguns1982 said:

I agree totally. We need to remember that Axl has done a great job hiding the fact that he peaked creatively in the late 80s.

It was all Izzy. 

6 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I like the middle bit. Just wish it was a bit longer. Could have been a good intro as well, if extended and building up into the killswitch riff.

I know that I will be in the minority but I actually miss the intro. That was a nice build up to the main song. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

But that’s just it!  It’s not a new song! It’s a 20 year old cut and paste hack job with the lyrics “pussy full of maggots”.  What is there to enjoy?!

It was all Izzy. 

Izzy is what’s missing here, I believe that now more than ever.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

It was all Izzy. 

I love Izzy, but it wasn't all him. Since you think Axl is so replaceable, please show the evidence of the other guys coming up with genius level stuff without him over the last 25 years. It doesn't exist. That should be a clue to you that maybe it was a team effort and maybe Axl was actually an important part of that team effort. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I love Izzy, but it wasn't all him. Since you think Axl is so replaceable, please show the evidence of the other guys coming up with genius level stuff without him over the last 25 years. It doesn't exist. That should be a clue to you that maybe it was a team effort and maybe Axl was actually an important part of that team effort. 

If GnR fans are expecting "genius level stuff" then I hate to say it but we will be sorely disappointed. Einstein only wrote E=MC2 once. Sometimes "alright" is good enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

If GnR fans are expecting "genius level stuff" then I hate to say it but we will be sorely disappointed. Einstein only wrote E=MC2 once. Sometimes "alright" is good enough.

Oh for sure. I think all of them were pretty much creatively finished by 1991. 

If they were to write all new songs from scratch (my ideal scenario, preferably an acoustic album - and the CD era material with the original musicians in a box set), I agree that they would need Izzy. Not because Axl, Slash and Duff are incapable of writing something good on their own, but because Izzy's presence would make it all simpler, as he has the ability come up with basic song structures for the others to built on.

But since, as it seems, it will be mostly CD era material, it doesn't make a difference.

Does anyone seriously expect AFD2 or UYI3? It’s not happening. They’re out of their prime. CD fans will find this to be the potential holy grail of course, but I promise you these 3 are not going to write another AFD in their 50’s and 60’s. Few artists replicate their prime this late. The fact that Guns took an artistic risk is awesome- they still have some creative juices flowing in them.

• Like 4

Here's the problem with Axl's songwriting skills between 1999-2021...WHAT THE F#$K IS HE SINGING ABOUT?   His lyrics and songs are not relatable and just a bunch of gibberish. 

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and girls are pretty - EVERYONE GETS THAT

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games, we got everything you want, honey we know the names - EVERYONE GETS THAT 

Her hair reminds me of a warm safe place where as a child I'd hide - EVERYONE GETS THAT 

Hard school - WTF is that? 

Pussy full of maggots - Such a lovely everyday thing 

My sense of rejection, is no excuse for my behavior, you pulled the gun, that shot a crucified my savior - Um...ok, what? 

Axl tries to be so deep and meaningful and in the end, it's the simple stuff that people can relate to that has the most meaning and power in music.   When you finish listening to AFD you know what the band stands for and what they are trying to say.  After Chinese D, it's like, WTF was all that shit?  Some very cool stuff, but nothing means anything.  It's all over the place.   But hey, way to win back the fans with pussy full of maggots! 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Does anyone seriously expect AFD2 or UYI3? It’s not happening. They’re out of their prime. CD fans will find this to be the potential holy grail of course, but I promise you these 3 are not going to write another AFD in their 50’s and 60’s. Few artists replicate their prime this late. The fact that Guns took an artistic risk is awesome- they still have some creative juices flowing in them.

To be fair, the risk was Chinese Democracy and that’s where these songs originated from. I will say choosing this song in itself to be their first statement is something as well. 

These people aren’t living hand to mouth on the sunset strip any more. They aren’t dealing with new found fame and the perils that come with it. They’ve gone through divorces/breakups and have little to add that hasn’t been said 

Axl typically writes from his experiences. What experiences has he had recently that are relatable? If we’re going hear anything that’s actually new, that will be the hurdle 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

To be fair, the risk was Chinese Democracy and that’s where these songs originated from. I will say choosing this song in itself to be their first statement is something as well. 

These people aren’t living hand to mouth on the sunset strip any more. They aren’t dealing with new found fame and the perils that come with it. They’ve gone through divorces/breakups and have little to add that hasn’t been said 

Axl typically writes from his experiences. What experiences has he had recently that are relatable? If we’re going hear anything that’s actually new, that will be the hurdle 

Dude, everyone in the world can relate to breaking up with a loved one...reuniting with old friends...finding your self again after a shitty period.  It's like Axl isn't mature to capture that...we get pussy full of maggots.  

I'm sorry, their journey to this point should have inspired an EPIC NEW ALBUM...not cut and paste redos of 20 year old songs Slash and Duff had no part in. 

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I wouldn't totally rule it out, I found Slash wrote some of his best ever riffs on WOF, which was not too long ago. I mean, that album is all you would ever want from a Slash album, and he was like 30 years into his career by then. If he somehow gets that same energy going for new GNR stuff, that alone would create an album worth listening to, nevermind Axl and Duff being there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fozzie Bear said:

Here's the problem with Axl's songwriting skills between 1999-2021...WHAT THE F#$K IS HE SINGING ABOUT?   His lyrics and songs are not relatable and just a bunch of gibberish. 

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and girls are pretty - EVERYONE GETS THAT

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games, we got everything you want, honey we know the names - EVERYONE GETS THAT 

Her hair reminds me of a warm safe place where as a child I'd hide - EVERYONE GETS THAT 

Hard school - WTF is that? 

Pussy full of maggots - Such a lovely everyday thing 

My sense of rejection, is no excuse for my behavior, you pulled the gun, that shot a crucified my savior - Um...ok, what? 

Axl tries to be so deep and meaningful and in the end, it's the simple stuff that people can relate to that has the most meaning and power in music.   When you finish listening to AFD you know what the band stands for and what they are trying to say.  After Chinese D, it's like, WTF was all that shit?  Some very cool stuff, but nothing means anything.  It's all over the place.   But hey, way to win back the fans with pussy full of maggots! 

I think Hard School lyrics are pretty straightforward, especially compared to a lot of the other Chinese recordings. 

"All cautions made, every chance was given. No effort spared to save what we had. All in good faith, I would not hesitate to extend myself and lend you my hand! But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way. Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away. Too Hard School and you thought you were here to stay. If that were true, it wouldn't matter anyway!" 

2 minutes ago, Flayer said:

As much as so many people on here hate it, it’s been getting some surprisingly positive critical reception.

“High octane rocker … neo-punk” https://www.musicradar.com/amp/news/guns-n-roses-absurd-single

“Explosive” https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme.com/news/music/guns-n-roses-release-explosive-new-track-absurd-3012768%3famp

“Mixes some of that energy from the Chinese Democracy sessions along with the fiery material that marked the band’s raucous early years.” https://www.spin.com/2021/08/guns-n-roses-new-song-absurd/

“Heavy handed guitar solos and bombastic drums” https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-absurd-song

”Rose’s voice is deep and booming and the band is quite aggressive, laying into a rolling groove…” https://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-new-song-absurd-live/

I personally have always enjoyed this song, but I can’t help but see this as a sign of corruption in the music press, or perhaps cowardice. Whether you like the song or not, Absurd would not rank in the top five tracks if it were on Chinese Democracy. It would struggle to even place in the top ten.

That album got savaged and dismissed as a joke by much of the music press, while the self-proclaimed ABSURD is being received with a tone of respectful seriousness across the board.

Quite simply, Chinese Democracy was released when Axl Rose was out of favor with the label, the press, the industry at large. Now he did the reunion, now he’s back in favor, now Absurd gets good press. So do all the live shows since the reunion, even when his voice sounds horrible, while you can go back to concert reviews from 2010 when his voice was at its peak and find critics dissing it.

The press are cowards, by and large. They lavish praise on whoever the industry favors at any given moment and heap scorn and derision on those who have displeased the powers that be. This is true on all things. I’d just never really thought of it before in the context of the music business.

Wow, that was a lot of work.  Just read the YouTube comments on GN'Rs official posting of the song.  Everyone hates it. 

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I think Hard School lyrics are pretty straightforward, especially compared to a lot of the other Chinese recordings. 

"All cautions made, every chance was given. No effort spared to save what we had. All in good faith, I would not hesitate to extend myself and lend you my hand! But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way. Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away. Too Hard School and you thought you were here to stay. If that were true, it wouldn't matter anyway!" 

Isn't Hard School Axl talking SHIT to Slash? 

Just now, Fozzie Bear said:

Wow, that was a lot of work.  Just read the YouTube comments on GN'Rs official posting of the song.  Everyone hates it. 

That’s my point, there’s a big disconnect between what the fans are saying and what we’re hearing from the music publications, which makes me doubt that the critics are really judging the music on its merits.

1 minute ago, Flayer said:

That’s my point, there’s a big disconnect between what the fans are saying and what we’re hearing from the music publications, which makes me doubt that the critics are really judging the music on its merits.

Dude, nobody cares about 4 journalist opinions anymore who are all hoping to get Axl interviews lined up.  Media are all shills now. 

2 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

Isn't Hard School Axl talking SHIT to Slash? 

I would assume so. Slash seems like the most obvious target for the lyrics. And yet Slash is doing soundchecks of the Hard School song before live shows on the current tour. Hopefully they give us a final studio version of it pretty soon, with Slash adding some improved guitars compared to the old demo. 

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I would assume so. Slash seems like the most obvious target for the lyrics. And yet Slash is doing soundchecks of the Hard School song before live shows on the current tour. Hopefully they give us a final studio version of it pretty soon, with Slash adding some improved guitars compared to the old demo. 

I bet Slash hasn't even heard the lyrics. HAHA

"So Axl, what's this song about?"  - Slash 

"I'm sorry for you!" - Axl