ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

53 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I find it interesting that some people are still chocked that the band is releasing material written during the CD era even though EVERYTHING has pointed towards that being the case since the reunion started. 

1.) They've played more than half of CD on the tour.

2.) Axl said in 2016 that he's shown Slash and Duff CDII material that they liked.

3.) Slash has on several occasions (in regards to how he felt about playing CD songs live) said that he didn't think it was weird since he rejoined a band that has existed without him for 20 years. 

With these three things in mind, why would Slash and Duff want to throw out material written without them being in the band if they like it? I can only speak for my self but releasing something like Absurd or Hard Skool must feel a whole lot better from an artistic standpoint than trying to make a SCOM 2 or release a boring and unimaginative classic rock inspired song like every other legacy band does. Just my take though :shrugs:

I can see slash and duff not caring about reworked CD material because there’s not that much money to be made from writing credits these days, touring is where the $$$ are hence the Never ending tour and no album.

49 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

totally agree.  I think of it like this.... your wife gives you a pair of pants that she originally bought for her ex boy friend.  you could say you don't like them out of spite, or tell the truth that you really like them and wear the shit out of them.....

.......until 3 weeks later when you realize there is alot more room for your shlong.  then you find out she took the pants to a tailor to make the crotch much more roomier and then you realize that she's been lying to you when she says your tallywhacker is the biggest she's ever had.

not that this happened to me recently or anything like that.  lol

That’s the best thing I’ve heard in a while 😀😂😂

• ABSUЯD 2

One of the really interesting components here is the band’s strategy. It’s incredible to release a single that may or may not be connected to anything other than the tour. But it also makes sense in 2021. If you play a song live, most your fans are going to watch the cell recoding on YouTube. 

didn’t a former manager of the band say in an interview something to the affect that songs are basically free to the band. The tour is where the money is.  And then the same person said he could see a few singles released and then an EP. im not versed enough to make this up. Just thought I read it somewhere.

So the artwork and the signature on the single stand out. Because it seems like branding we will see again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

The original version had its own charm TBF. And it IS odd hearing Absurd without it.

It was probably a situation similar to Riad. Remember that artist who claimed Riad's intro on the final version was his?? They probably took out the intro from Absurd to avoid anything like that again.

But I'm a big fan of the intro too and the industrial guitars.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, suckerpunched03 said:

Awesome story. 

quick follow up, does your dad like the song now ? 

He still likes it, but it’s so much different in a small live setting like we were in. The song sounds 1000 times better when you’re right there in the mix. I can understand why Axl likes it so much, but I don’t know if he realizes how much better it sounds in a small intimate setting compared to playing it over a set of regular speakers.

• GNFNR 1

I recorded a cover of the song on my YouTube channel, if anyone is interested in check how to play it on a guitar. Not posting the link here though.

45 minutes ago, grogmug said:

My first GN’R concert was at the House of Blues on December 29, 2001. I was 17 years old and my father accompanied me to Vegas, because he knew how much I wanted to see them. He wasn’t into GN’R as much as I was, but as soon as Silk Worms came on with Buckethead and Finck tearing it up on guitar, he was hooked. It ended up being his favorite song performed that night. He has been asking about this song every year since Vegas and I kept telling him it hasn’t been performed and probably won’t be ever again. Since the official release, he can’t believe that they took Bucketheads parts out and switched the song up. I mean, I understand with Slash being back in the band, and it does sound good, but I got used to the original version and was hoping they would keep it that way, as our ears originally heard it. I guess being there and hearing it live changes your perspective on things..In a live setting, the synth and guitars worked back then and being against the rail at 17 years old, the song blew my mind. It’s kind of cool that they still released it two decades later, after my first show, as the first single. My father was pumped as well…just wanted to share my connection with the track and all of the history behind it.

Back then it didnt have much Buckethead on it, but I guess you're right. Did you/your dad checked the Vegas 01 DVD?

I also remember to read fan reviews for the two Vegas shows in late 2001. A LOT of people said both Silkworms and OMG were the highlight of the shows.

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Yes, Slash's communications team certainly need a pay rise after everything they've done.

Not really. Everyone’s knows Slash. Everyone loves Slash. Always been that way. Sure PR might’ve helped him move up the ladder on these greatest guitarists ever polls by reminding them but Slash’s career speaks for itself 

I'm sure this has been answered but are the vocals on this song new or from 2000/01? Also I wonder if this opens up the possibility of releasing other Chinese Democracy era tracks like Atlas Shrugged or the General that didn't make the cut.

You could argue that the band could've slowly released these songs through singles and EPs years ago. I also have to wonder if Axl took notice of the reaction to the leaks a few years ago and saw that there was genuine interest and even positive reaction to a good portion of the material.

24 minutes ago, mystery said:

I'm sure this has been answered but are the vocals on this song new or from 2000/01? Also I wonder if this opens up the possibility of releasing other Chinese Democracy era tracks like Atlas Shrugged or the General that didn't make the cut.

You could argue that the band could've slowly released these songs through singles and EPs years ago. I also have to wonder if Axl took notice of the reaction to the leaks a few years ago and saw that there was genuine interest and even positive reaction to a good portion of the material.

They don't sound new, right? I think it's the same from that oldass demos, apart from the word Absurd, which appear to have been recorded more recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Propaganda said:

It was probably a situation similar to Riad. Remember that artist who claimed Riad's intro on the final version was his?? They probably took out the intro from Absurd to avoid anything like that again.

But I'm a big fan of the intro too and the industrial guitars.

The  intro was awesome from  a dynamic stand point because the mystic of what you're about to hear keeps building and then the thunderous drums come kick in and it's just rocking from there on out 

• ABSUЯD 1