ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

I like it. I don't have a problem with releasing songs from 1999-2006 period either. But it just makes me think, why is it almost 2022 that we are hearing this? We've heard that 2 albums were basically done in 2006. Then again in 2010. then again in 2015. Why approaching 2022 are these songs only just being released? Who sits on an album for 22 years. It's mind boggling. We should be bored of hardschool absurd etc by now, not desperate to hear them! Axl, you are one peculiar cat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I like it. I don't have a problem with releasing songs from 1999-2006 period either. But it just makes me think, why is it almost 2022 that we are hearing this? We've heard that 2 albums were basically done in 2006. Then again in 2010. then again in 2015. Why approaching 2022 are these songs only just being released? Who sits on an album for 22 years. It's mind boggling. We should be bored of hardschool absurd etc by now, not desperate to hear them! Axl, you are one peculiar cat. 

you are asking why, why, why all over - when the answer is very simple - this is GNR. it's astonishing that you still haven't realised that everything is wrong here and nothing goes by logic or anything even remotely related to that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I know, right? It's ABSUЯD!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I could see that. The main riff does have a bit of a VR feel to it.

I think this just highlights how important Slash's feel is to the overall Guns N' Roses sound. Just his playing and attack on the riff, not to mention the solos, really help elevate the song - and it's a song he didn't even write.

I agree. Without Slash it's just not the same.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There are really some similarities to this. It even has "Absurd" in the lyrics

It's gone now, what was it?

1 hour ago, avahland said:

A little bit OT
Could The plague be next to be released (or at the new album) ?

When I look at the concert intro I do see some elements that point in that direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor

I think the plague doctor has more to do with the pandemic. Would be cool if they finished that song and released it too though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I read the comments at the Steve Hoffman forum. Mostly negative (as is evident by the poll), but not as much as I expected.

The two main groups of negative comments are those who think that it's just a bad song and those who say that it's not too bad, but it doesn't sound like GnR/is a failed attempt by GnR to be something else.

Surprisingly, some from the second group think that it sounds more like VR than GnR - and it's not the only place I've read similar comments.

I've also read many comments, there and elsewhere, pointing out that Axl is trying to sound like John Lydon in PiL or that his singing on Absurd is definitely influenced by PiL. Although I doubt that Axl had mostly PiL in mind (probably more the Prodigy and English punk in general), to me it's rather a compliment.

Off topic I know, but one of the answers on the Steve Hoffman forum on the Absurd page is someone saying their favourite GnR song is the version of the Garden without Alice Cooper... does that version exist?!

Surprisingly, some from the second group think that it sounds more like VR than GnR - and it's not the only place I've read similar comments.

For some reason that went through my head earlier on today. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of an album sounded that more VR than GNR especially on any CD era songs that’s been worked on. VR’s sound at the time was more modern at the time compared to CD IMO. I think it would work now as well. 

• Like 1

I read the comments at the Steve Hoffman forum. Mostly negative (as is evident by the poll), but not as much as I expected.

The two main groups of negative comments are those who think that it's just a bad song and those who say that it's not too bad, but it doesn't sound like GnR/is a failed attempt by GnR to be something else.

I've also read many comments, there and elsewhere, pointing out that Axl is trying to sound like John Lydon in PiL or that his singing on Absurd is definitely influenced by PiL. Although I doubt that Axl had mostly PiL in mind (probably more the Prodigy and English punk in general), to me it's rather a compliment.

Yes, he sound more Prodigy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

What’s ironic is that they could release a song tomorrow that sounded just like Appetite and get blasted for it sounding too much like their classic material, or at best “in the vein of their earlier work, but not as good.” This band could release Rocket Queen tomorrow, for the first time, and people would say “eh” because they don’t realize that part of loving a song or a band is that it’s tied to a time in your life. And so when people say they want an album that sounds like Appetite, they mean they want to return to the time in their lives when they discovered that album.

absolutely.

9 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

What’s ironic is that they could release a song tomorrow that sounded just like Appetite and get blasted for it sounding too much like their classic material, or at best “in the vein of their earlier work, but not as good.” This band could release Rocket Queen tomorrow, for the first time, and people would say “eh” because they don’t realize that part of loving a song or a band is that it’s tied to a time in your life. And so when people say they want an album that sounds like Appetite, they mean they want to return to the time in their lives when they discovered that album.

100% which is why I'm not subscribing to any of that.  Really, the only legacy band that is spared from this kind of scrutiny is AC/DC and that's because all their songs follow the same riff heavy formula, it's their brand and it works. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:27 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

Yeah it just sucks though because Brian May's solo is awesome and would love to have it still on the official release

I understand that. I just don't care about the "offensive to women" bullshit so many people keep going on about

Oh, their music, at least that on the earlier albums was heavily misogynistic. It's personal choice to be offended or not, but you can't deny the intent was there. It's So Easy, Anything Goes, Rocket Queen, Pretty Tied Up are not exactly love songs.  On the flip side of that, Axl has penned some amazing love songs, so labeling them is a challenge. But there is certainly some anger there.

59 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

It's gone now, what was it?

It's still there (official video). Religion II by Public Image Ltd.

34 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Off topic I know, but one of the answers on the Steve Hoffman forum on the Absurd page is someone saying their favourite GnR song is the version of the Garden without Alice Cooper... does that version exist?!

I know only the one with the drum machine from the West Arkeen tapes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

100% which is why I'm not subscribing to any of that.  Really, the only legacy band that is spared from this kind of scrutiny is AC/DC and that's because all their songs follow the same riff heavy formula, it's their brand and it works. 

Yup - and even AC/DC is only half spared. There are some moments on Power Up that are just as solid as anything they've ever done, but because it's a later-era release, people won't give it as much respect.

Your average 'casual' music fan seems to think in silly, cliched thoughts like "there is only a finite amount of inspiration available in all musicians - and that the well of creativity is usually dried up after 3/4 albums" or "you have to be fucked up and on drugs to write classic material." It's just bullshit. Metallica has moments on its latest album, such as 'Spit Out The Bone,' that are just as good as their 'peak era' work. But because they're older, it's hard for people to wrap their head around that. Bruce Springsteen has written some of his finest songs in the last 10 years and he's fucking 70.

Guns n' Roses will forever be tied to Appetite and the Illusions because people, for some reason, don't want to believe that there can be quality, worthwhile, even 'classic'-worthy material outside of a band's peak popularity.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Maybe is confused with "Garden of Eden"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Good post

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Yup - and even AC/DC is only half spared. There are some moments on Power Up that are just as solid as anything they've ever done, but because it's a later-era release, people won't give it as much respect.

Your average 'casual' music fan seems to think in silly, cliched thoughts like "there is only a finite amount of inspiration available in all musicians - and that the well of creativity is usually dried up after 3/4 albums" or "you have to be fucked up and on drugs to write classic material." It's just bullshit. Metallica has moments on its latest album, such as 'Spit Out The Bone,' that are just as good as their 'peak era' work. But because they're older, it's hard for people to wrap their head around that. Bruce Springsteen has written some of his finest songs in the last 10 years and he's fucking 70.

Guns n' Roses will forever be tied to Appetite and the Illusions because people, for some reason, don't want to believe that there can be quality, worthwhile, even 'classic'-worthy material outside of a band's peak popularity.

The bands don't help the situation when they tour a new album and 99% of the performance is old/classic material. I noticed that was the case with AC/DC when Axl toured with them. One song from the new album, while the other 99% of the show was the classic AC/DC stuff. So it's a never-ending cycle.

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

The bands don't help the situation when they tour a new album and 99% of the performance is old/classic material. I noticed that was the case with AC/DC when Axl toured with them. One song from the new album, while the other 99% of the show was the classic AC/DC stuff. So it's a never-ending cycle.

I could argue that goes both ways though. I wish casual fans would stick around for the new songs, rather than going to take a piss or grab a beer. Performers can feel when the air gets sucked out of the room (I've been there...) when something no one knows gets played.

• GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I could argue that goes both ways though. I wish casual fans would stick around for the new songs, rather than going to take a piss or grab a beer. Performers can feel when the air gets sucked out of the room (I've been there...) when something no one knows gets played.

It definitely goes both ways. Like I said, it becomes a never-ending cycle. Only way to beat it is to come up with incredibly catchy material and force the audience to listen to it by playing all of the new material live, and not getting bullied into playing 90% classic hits.