ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

41 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

It's definitely intentional. Stops being as noticeable after a few listens but is rather jarring at first. 

Agree.

And it is only jarring because it is different to what we are used to.

Both versions work fine. If anything the "new" way starting a beat earlier has more impact. 

1 minute ago, alangarcianr said:

Whats The correct lyrics?

Screaming fucking Virgin or banshee?

and in the second verse 

fucking little schemer lost yourself inside the art?

Screaming fucking banshee and fucking little schemer lost yourself inside the art yeah 

5 hours ago, NachoLZ said:

I miss all this part:

What can I do? With a bitch like you
You know that it's true
All I have I ask of you
I'll be dammed
If it's not true
A bitch like you

Was that really the words? Always heard “with all I am / I ask that you all be damned”

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

It is curious as to why he didn't bother to write a proper second and third verse. Repeating the same verse on a loop does seem very lazy.

Lots of songs repeat lyrics or verses.  It isn't uncommon at all.  I'm not sure why people are surprised that a GnR song does.  Especially given the style of song

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

Wow, really? I'm even more convinced that Slash likes the song now. 

Anybody who follows Slash on Instagram knows he likes the pussy full of maggots lyric lol

Edited by Bitchisback
  • Like 2

So I just listened to the Ron Bumblefoot Thal remix that leaked in 2019 (I think) and even the main riff is the same! So Slash didn’t even have to write his own riff. This song gets lazier and lazier by the second. Watch this be the only song we get now for another 5 years too 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

1 hour ago, Packersfan#4#12 said:

One of my favorite live versions of this song is from RIR 2001. 

Never liked this song previously as I thought the lyrics were juvenile and stupid. However, after the official release l revisited the leaks, and love the 2001 version of the song for what it is..........a bloody good rock song. 

Edited by jimisbatman

3 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

So I just listened to the Ron Bumblefoot Thal remix that leaked in 2019 (I think) and even the main riff is the same! So Slash didn’t even have to write his own riff. This song gets lazier and lazier by the second. Watch this be the only song we get now for another 5 years too 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

The riff is just the synth part in the Village discs version played on guitar. It isn't something Bumblefoot came up with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The riff is just the synth part in the Village discs version played on guitar. It isn't something Bumblefoot came up with.

That’s a fair enough point. It just seemed to hammer it home more to me that there is absolutely NOTHING new about this song. Well, Duff’s bass, I guess. I kinda preferred Ron’s solos to Slash’s too 😬 

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I guess we have to agree to disagree. To me the guitar work sounds all different compared to the Bumblefoot version (which I found barely listenable).

Agreed on this, didn't enjoy the Bumble version at all. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I guess we have to agree to disagree. To me the guitar work sounds all different compared to the Bumblefoot version (which I found barely listenable).

I agree. The Bumble mix IS barely listenable but only because it’s panned to one speaker/headphone for some reason. What he actually plays is good I think. I love his style though. I think as I’ve got older I’ve come to prefer players like Buckethead and Bumblefoot to Slash though, so that’s another thing.

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Lots of songs repeat lyrics or verses.  It isn't uncommon at all.  I'm not sure why people are surprised that a GnR song does.  Especially given the style of song

I like Absurd a lot, but I think it could benefit from having different lyrics in the second verse. That is my only gripe with the song. The third verse could be the same as the first to nicely wrap/round things up. 

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

I hope not. I'm calling it now, that Hardschool will be released Nov/Dec 2021, album 2023 lol

I don’t think we’re getting an album but do agree that there will likely be a few other standalone singles while they’re touring and ‘Hard School’ will probably be the next one. I think Duff and Slash will just touch up some of the previously recorded CD era material like they’ve done with ‘Absurd’.

Absolutely nothing indicates that Axl has been anywhere near a recording studio for years and the fact that ‘Absurd’ has a 21 year old vocal track on it just reinforces these fears. I mean you’d think he’d have added SOMETHING before they released it in 2021 but it’s literally as if he said to Slash and Duff: ‘I did my work 20 years ago, just go and record over that’. He probably knows that any vocal he lays down now, even in the studio, will be far inferior to a vocal he laid down 20 years ago so he’s thinking ‘why bother?’.

Slash and Duff are guys who LIKE recording. They actually put studio albums out more often than once every 15 years so it doesn’t surprise me that it’s just those 2 who are doing the studio work now.

Sorry to be the pessimist but that comes with the territory of being a GNR fan! Obviously I hope I’m proven wrong but I'm almost willing to bet we won’t get a full album before 2025, if at all, but will get a few remakes like Absurd.

Edited by GNFNRUK

30 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

I don’t think we’re getting an album but do agree that there will likely be a few other standalone singles while they’re touring and ‘Hard School’ will probably be the next one. I think Duff and Slash will just touch up some of the previously recorded CD era material like they’ve done with ‘Absurd’.

Absolutely nothing indicates that Axl has been anywhere near a recording studio for years and the fact that ‘Absurd’ has a 21 year old vocal track on it just reinforces these fears. I mean you’d think he’d have added SOMETHING before they released it in 2021 but it’s literally as if he said to Slash and Duff: ‘I did my work 20 years ago, just go and record over that’. He probably knows that any vocal he lays down now, even in the studio, will be far inferior to a vocal he laid down 20 years ago so he’s thinking ‘why bother?’.

Slash and Duff are guys who LIKE recording. They actually put studio albums out more often than once every 15 years so it doesn’t surprise me that it’s just those 2 who are doing the studio work now.

Sorry to be the pessimist but that comes with the territory of being a GNR fan! Obviously I hope I’m proven wrong but I'm almost willing to bet we won’t get a full album before 2025, if at all, but will get a few remakes like Absurd.

You're right with "why bother?" but why bother when the vocal of Absurd is just shouting? It's pretty useless, if you listen to the vocals, he could re-record that no problem anytime. Did people completely forget about Rock The Rock from 2 years ago? Those vocals were way harder, complete with classic Axl screams. Way more difficult melody than the "melody" in Silkworms lol.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

14 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

Well Axl did record vocals for Rock the Rock so thats one recent time his gone into a studio and did vocals. Hopefully his been recording something else new with the band

53 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're right with "why bother?" but why bother when the vocal of Absurd is just shouting? It's pretty useless, if you listen to the vocals, he could re-record that no problem anytime. Did people completely forget about Rock The Rock from 2 years ago? Those vocals were way harder, complete with classic Axl screams. Way more difficult melody than the "melody" in Silkworms lol.

51 minutes ago, vloors said:

Well Axl did record vocals for Rock the Rock so thats one recent time his gone into a studio and did vocals. Hopefully his been recording something else new with the band

I probably should have addressed the ‘rock the rock’ thing since I’ve seen that used as an example of Axl being in a recording studio recently before.

I just honestly don’t think a 2 minute recording for a cartoon hints that he’s been in the studio laying vocals for a FULL album. Axl does little one off easy cash grab things like this from time to time. Remember during the 9 year wait for ‘Chinese Democracy’ when he randomly decided to do voice work as a radio DJ on Grand Theft Auto San Andreas?!

His track record for creative output musically has shown us that he either hates recording new music or does it very privately and is too much of a perfectionist to release it. Either way, Axl is not a guy who puts out albums and I don’t expect one from him any time soon. Again, would love to be proven wrong since he’s one of my favourite songwriters ever, but I won’t be.

I see ‘Absurd’ as nothing more than something to promote the ongoing never ending tour (since it coincides with it resuming) and a little gift to fans who are desperate for a ‘new’ song from the band. 

Edited by GNFNRUK

1 hour ago, GNFNRUK said:

You do make a good argument, and history would suggest your on the money...... However I pray your wrong for the selfish reason of me longing for a follow-up to CD for the last 13 years, whatever that looks like.

Or, as gnr fans, is our only hope for new material, in hoping collectors have a falling out with each other and leak stuff? 

14 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

I probably should have addressed the ‘rock the rock’ thing since I’ve seen that used as an example of Axl being in a recording studio recently before.

I just honestly don’t think a 2 minute recording for a cartoon hints that he’s been in the studio laying vocals for a FULL album. Axl does little one off easy cash grab things like this from time to time. Remember during the 9 year wait for ‘Chinese Democracy’ when he randomly decided to do voice work as a radio DJ on Grand Theft Auto San Andreas?!

His track record for creative output musically has shown us that he either hates recording new music or does it very privately and is too much of a perfectionist to release it. Either way, Axl is not a guy who puts out albums and I don’t expect one from him any time soon. Again, would love to be proven wrong since he’s one of my favourite songwriters ever, but I won’t be.

I see ‘Absurd’ as nothing more than something to promote the ongoing never ending tour (since it coincides with it resuming) and a little gift to fans who are desperate for a ‘new’ song from the band. 

Not saying it's proof he's been in the studio, I just wanted to lay that ongoing conspiracy theory to rest that Axl would refuse to record new vocals because they "will be far inferior". RTR proves he can record them, and record them even with that midrange rasp which he didn't use on CD and is not doing at live shows.

But I think you missed the post in the new album thread where Beta confirmed to a fan (in portuguese) that Absurd is a song from the new cd. That still doesn't mean it will actually come out, but it does mean there is a new album already, and it confirms we're closer than ever and Axl has again started "looking very seriously what he's doing in that regard". I'm expecting Hard School to be released sometime this year and also possibly the album, if not then in 2022 at the start of the new leg. Not sure they would put out an album just before they're going to be inactive for like 8 months.