ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

47 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

You do make a good argument, and history would suggest your on the money...... However I pray your wrong for the selfish reason of me longing for a follow-up to CD for the last 13 years, whatever that looks like.

Or, as gnr fans, is our only hope for new material, in hoping collectors have a falling out with each other and leak stuff? 

20 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Not saying it's proof he's been in the studio, I just wanted to lay that ongoing conspiracy theory to rest that Axl would refuse to record new vocals because they "will be far inferior". RTR proves he can record them, and record them even with that midrange rasp which he didn't use on CD and is not doing at live shows.

But I think you missed the post in the new album thread where Beta confirmed to a fan (in portuguese) that Absurd is a song from the new cd. That still doesn't mean it will actually come out, but it does mean there is a new album already, and it confirms we're closer than ever and Axl has again started "looking very seriously what he's doing in that regard". I'm expecting Hard School to be released sometime this year and also possibly the album, if not then in 2022 at the start of the new leg. Not sure they would put out an album just before they're going to be inactive for like 8 months.

I really do hope you’re both right as I would love to be proven wrong and for a new GNR album to finally be released.

I certainly did miss any post regarding Beta confirming a new album. I’m not really sure how much involvement she has with the band these days but hopefully she would know if they had recorded an album. It’s certainly a positive thing if she says they have. Again, if and when it will see the light of day though is anyone’s guess.

I also want to point out that I would 100% be on the ‘new album is coming’ hype train, if the single they released had been a new song written with Slash & co rather than a remake of Silk Worms with the original vocal take. The song just really feels like a lazy, easy release from Axl.

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

I probably should have addressed the ‘rock the rock’ thing since I’ve seen that used as an example of Axl being in a recording studio recently before.

I just honestly don’t think a 2 minute recording for a cartoon hints that he’s been in the studio laying vocals for a FULL album. Axl does little one off easy cash grab things like this from time to time. Remember during the 9 year wait for ‘Chinese Democracy’ when he randomly decided to do voice work as a radio DJ on Grand Theft Auto San Andreas?!

His track record for creative output musically has shown us that he either hates recording new music or does it very privately and is too much of a perfectionist to release it. Either way, Axl is not a guy who puts out albums and I don’t expect one from him any time soon. Again, would love to be proven wrong since he’s one of my favourite songwriters ever, but I won’t be.

I see ‘Absurd’ as nothing more than something to promote the ongoing never ending tour (since it coincides with it resuming) and a little gift to fans who are desperate for a ‘new’ song from the band. 

Beta confirmed Absurd would be part of the new album.

Although Axl may not have visited a studio in recent years to lay down vocals "for a FULL album", there is plenty of evidence suggesting that over the years he has recorded enough vocal parts for at least one new album. We know this from the numerous quotes, the leaks of unknown songs with vocals, the fact that he recorded new vocals to unknown songs before the release of CD, his own mentions, and industry rumours about a record having been finished for quite some time now, etc.

4 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

I certainly did miss any post regarding Beta confirming a new album. I’m not really sure how much involvement she has with the band these days but hopefully she would know if they had recorded an album. It’s certainly a positive thing if she says they have. Again, if and when it will see the light of day though is anyone’s guess.

She might not be formally part of TB anymore, but she is just as close on Axl as she has even been and still works with him daily. This is as close to getting it directly from Axl as possible. I put more weight on Beta saying this than if any one did, besides Axl, including Caram and Fernando. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Beta confirmed Absurd would be part of the new album.

Although Axl may not have visited a studio in recent years to lay down vocals "for a FULL album", there is plenty of evidence suggesting that over the years he has recorded enough vocal parts for at least one new album. We know this from the numerous quotes, the leaks of unknown songs with vocals, the fact that he recorded new vocals to unknown songs before the release of CD, his own mentions, and industry rumours about a record having been finished for quite some time now, etc.

It’s still weird though if they’re using old vocal takes and building new tracks musically around them. I mean, that’s what Queen and the Beatles did in order to release new music, but after their lead singers had died! If they do it all this way I think it will sound rather odd, Absurd SOUNDS like a cut and paste job and there’s really no need to make a whole album that way when your lead singer is alive and well.

Also, when you say ‘leaks of unknown songs with vocals’ which ones are you referring to? I thought the only other songs with full vocal tracks (not scratch vocals) that had leaked were ‘Hard School’, ‘Eye On You’, ‘Perhaps’, ‘State of Grace’ and ‘Atlas Shrugged’. I haven’t heard any ‘unknown songs’ with vocals I don’t think and I thought I was up to date with all the leaks.

2 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

It’s still weird though if they’re using old vocal takes and building new tracks musically around them. I mean, that’s what Queen and the Beatles did in order to release new music, but after their lead singers had died! If they do it all this way I think it will sound rather odd, Absurd SOUNDS like a cut and paste job and there’s really no need to make a whole album that way when your lead singer is alive and well.

You find it weird that Axl chose to not re-record the vocals on Absurd? Why should he? If perfectly good vocals exist there is no need to re-record them, and frankly I am happy because (1) his voice was better 20 years ago (can you imagine him trying to sing the ending to Grace or the screams in Eye today?) and (2) because if the album will have to wait on Axl finishing new vocals it might take additional  years before we get to hear it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You find it weird that Axl chose to not re-record the vocals on Absurd? Why should he? If perfectly good vocals exist there is no need to re-record them, and frankly I am happy because (1) his voice was better 20 years ago (can you imagine him trying to sing the ending to Grace or the screams in Eye today?) and (2) because if the album will have to wait on Axl finishing new vocals it might take additional  years before we get to hear it. 

I don’t just mean ‘Absurd’ though, you were talking about a full album being made up from old Axl vocal takes from 20 years ago, and yes I would find that rather odd. 

Even with Absurd I think it’s lazy that he didn’t do ANY vocal overdubs, record an actual chorus for the song or additional verses for verse 2&3. It basically sounds like a fan made remix you’d find on YouTube complete with out of sync vocals pasted in the wrong place on the first 2 verses. It sounds exactly like what it is, a cut and paste job and no matter how much better his vocals were back then, a whole album put together like that will not sound good IMO.

22 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I think people need to look at it this way:

a) the fact any music was released is a good thing

b) the song is probably just "okay" and there is an element of immediate pre-release high, which is fine

c) if you like Silkworms and / or Absurd (I refuse to use a backwards R) then great (for the record I like it)

d) if you hate Silkworms and / or Absurd then that's also fine

e) whether you like it or hate it what is clear is that Slash and Duff's contributions elevate the song and make it sound more "GnR", so imagine what they can do with the rest of the "locker" if they can do that to a song as divisive as Absurd

I don’t downright hate the song, but to me, it’s a B-side that could have been released on some re-edition etc. Considering all the other songs’ names we’ve heard to date, considering the two boys are back (capable of creating amazing new tunes, undoubtedly), considering a new album could contain some 14 tracks, give or take, and considering the band is not getting any younger and we can’t expect them to be releasing one record after another within the following years, I see putting Silkworms – not exactly your typical GN’R material – on a comeback record as a waste of space, that’s all. This album will be very important for the fans etc.; they’ll show the music world whether they still got it, and every tune counts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Silkworms/Absurd sucks, and i honestly think a lot of people are on a post-release high, lol. I don't blame anybody though, because the GN'R fanbase is essentially the Ethiopia of music fandoms. It would be a terrible shame to see this song replace others, as i honestly think it is the weakest out of everything we've heard from the CD sessions (instrumentally and vocally, though Slash and Duff are obviously welcome additions). 

I do agree with you overall and I've been really thinking about how much I hated Silkworms against how much Absurd seems to have grown on. 

I have no doubt other factors than the music are in play. Just the fact that GN'R released music certainly has something to do with it. The way it was done is another factor. 

However, I really do seen to like the cut. Almost no one else in my life does lol, but I dig it for whatever reason. I do hope theres better tunes on the way though. 

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I do agree with you overall and I've been really thinking about how much I hated Silkworms against how much Absurd seems to have grown on. 

I have no doubt other factors than the music are in play. Just the fact that GN'R released music certainly has something to do with it. The way it was done is another factor. 

However, I really do seen to like the cut. Almost no one else in my life does lol, but I dig it for whatever reason. I do hope theres better tunes on the way though. 

Post-release high is one thing and certainly in effect, but to me the new version is a very different song from the one played in 2001. It is much more of a rocker now. The feel is very different. 

• Like 1

I enjoy Absurd as much as I enjoy hearing "You wanna step into my world!" when I let UYI II play too long.  After hearing the kind of music this version of the band makes together when playing their jam parts on stage in between songs, you would hope that the first thing they put together would be something better than this.  If Axl can't record in the same voice he used to nail the ACDC tour 5 years ago, fine.  He can sing the lower octaves and would still sound good. 

I won't be disappointed if they choose to leave this one out of the set at my next show (Atlantic City), if it is not cancelled/posponed. 

27 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I wonder how much money Geffen is willing to let Axl have to record a new album tbh. They might be the ones saying look we gave you 14 million already, you already have all this stuff recorded. We aren't giving you another 14 million lol

I think they made most of it back with CD's sale to Best Buy—so BB took a majority of the loss :D

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hollywood_democracy said:

I think they made most of it back with CD's sale to Best Buy—so BB took a majority of the loss :D

100% correct. Best Buy is the ones who ultimately got screwed by the cost of Chinese Democracy. 

• Like 1

wonder if anyone knows what this means.  On Spotify below the song ABSURD is says "2021 Guns N' Roses, under exclusive license to Geffen Records"

ChiDem says "2008 Geffen Recods"

AFD Super Deluxe says "2018 UMG Recordings, Inc." and "A Geffen Records Release: This Compilation 2018 UMG Recordings, Inc."

The Spaghetti Incident says "1993 Geffen Records"

Wonder what that means on who has control over the music and future releases.  Did GNR become its own label under Geffen?  Anyone with industry knowledge know what this means, if anything

1 minute ago, Liva said:

wonder if anyone knows what this means.  On Spotify below the song ABSURD is says "2021 Guns N' Roses, under exclusive license to Geffen Records"

AFD Super Deluxe says "2018 UMG Recordings, Inc." and "A Geffen Records Release: This Compilation 2018 UMG Recordings, Inc."

Wonder what that means on who has control over the music and future releases.  Did GNR become its own label under Geffen?  Anyone with industry knowledge know what this means, if anything

Let's send up the @Blackstar signal!

7 minutes ago, Liva said:

Geffen is under the UMG umbrella. They are essentially one in the same. Nothing too strange there 

Licensed is interesting. At some point Axl/GNR did start to fund their own recording sessions after UMG stopped (which those other CD songs were possibly worked on). Some type of deal had to be struck for that to happen. Then you get into whether GNR is/was given another advance for a Slash/Duff album as they are still under that contract. 

Interesting to ponder, but too convoluted to guess upon without seeing the contracts