ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

1 hour ago, hollywood_democracy said:

I think they made most of it back with CD's sale to Best Buy—so BB took a majority of the loss :D

Not their best buy. Can you still find CD on CD or 2xLP at $0.99 or is it sold out/used for landfill by now?

1 hour ago, Liva said:

wonder if anyone knows what this means.  On Spotify below the song ABSURD is says "2021 Guns N' Roses, under exclusive license to Geffen Records"

ChiDem says "2008 Geffen Recods"

AFD Super Deluxe says "2018 UMG Recordings, Inc." and "A Geffen Records Release: This Compilation 2018 UMG Recordings, Inc."

The Spaghetti Incident says "1993 Geffen Records"

Wonder what that means on who has control over the music and future releases.  Did GNR become its own label under Geffen?  Anyone with industry knowledge know what this means, if anything

It means that GnR own the copyright (and I'm guessing the masters also) but it's being distributed through Geffen. 

3 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Well they aren't going to find anybody to take that deal this time 🤣🤣

Altho Walmart did have an exclusive version of the greatest hits LP

Walmart and Target are doing a LOT of exclusive vinyl lately. The thought did cross my mind that maybe they'd do something with a GN'R album. 

• Like 1

Great to hear 'new' music from the band. An official release is brilliant although personally i really don't like the song. Never have. It's Absurd. 😉 

Silkworms is just weird. Anyway, good news that the machine is in motion and hopefully we get much much more in the near future and this is just a small taste of what is to come. 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, betterman said:

I dod not get the Video comment from Meegan - have they actually shot a new music video for Absurd?

In that case I guess the video will be out way before a new single

I’m fairly certain she was just referring to the video with the Medusa lady that was released last Friday. 

Delayed posting about Absurd, due to wanting to give it a decent chance before reacting (think my first listen was through my phone speakers lol).

Anyways, after multiple proper listens, I dig it. By no means best work, but it's aggressive and simple. My main criticism would be Axl's high pitch screams that are really clean - don't like these at all and it sounds a bit lame. Other than that, enjoy the track, enjoy the punk vibes, and enjoy it played loud.

Fingers crossed this opens the flood gates now for them and lets them understand that shit doesn't have to be better than AFD and the like - just release shit as a band please.

Also - bit of a bitter taste seeing as it's Silkworms and thus not new or anything, but I can see past that for now. If they did an album of predominately old rehashed songs with Duff and Slash adding their pieces and continuing to rely on old vocals I'd feel a bit ripped off.

Final note - glad it was the furthest thing from a ballad too.

• Like 1

Was watching a few vids from Detroit on youtube and this one popped up on shuffle.. I tried to give it a shot and it is still so bad.. 

The riff is so boring.. If you can call it a riff.. The dubbed it screams sound awful.. The fact that he just sings the same verse 3 times almost doesn't qualify it as a song.. The industrial slow part is abysmal.. That part should have been 100% re-written..

The only bright spot is the melody of the verse I guess and I don't hate the lyrics.. I got some enjoyment out of the hand gesture he made while saying "Pussy full of maggots" as well..

Just a perplexing attempt at a comeback song...

While the delayed lyrics is an artistic choice that adds to the overall ‘chaos’ of the song - it’s a little irritating and detracts from the overall punch IMO.

Also - I listened to the live version from Detroit and the little solo duels back and forth between Slash and Fortus definitely add to the song and it’s lacking in the studio version.

But overall I like it. It’s aggressive and doesn’t take itself too seriously. And it ticks the box of getting something ‘new’ on this tour. It is what it is….

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

Also - I listened to the live version from Detroit and the little solo duels back and forth between Slash and Fortus definitely add to the song and it’s lacking in the studio version.

Definitely agree with this. The lead guitar work live is much better and more aggressive/impactful than on the record. The lead work on the single actually sounds a bit tame and uninspired to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

I still can’t believe GN’R can’t even cut and paste a song together.  That editing mistake on the first two verses is hysterical. I could mix this song better using Audacity.  Song sucks. 

It was probably intentional. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fozzie Bear said:

That wasn’t intentional, it’s not sung that way live

That's not a strong argument. There are literally dozens of details and bits that Axl sings a different way than the studio counterpart. I'm not talking about the quality of the vocals, of course, just that he changes many things in the vocal melodies compared to the studio versions, so the fact that he doesn't reproduce that detail live doesn't mean that it's not intentional on the studio version.

• Like 2