You ain't been mindfucked yet
Let's do it (3x)
Oh my distorted smile
Guess what I'm doing now

these lyrics are far superior in prose

how the fuck did Duff and Slash agree to this - they are distorted 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Lol! I'm nearly 36 and all my favorite musicians are dinosaurs. "It sucks" has no effect on me anymore.  I'm loving it, and honestly just in awe that Slash morphed Silkworms into a rowdy guitar driven track. 

Just like Locomotive this is all Slash in both left and right channels. This song received maximum Slash and I love it now too

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4

On 8/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, Norespect1982 said:

I’m sick of the “Absurd is a cut a paste job” bollox. You only think his because you heard and got used to the various demo versions throughout the years. How many times does a band release a song where you have heard various demo versions beforehand? This never happens. If you listen to Absurd with fresh ears forgetting about previous versions it is a very cohesive song with all the elements complimenting each other. The song rips, it is aggressive as fuck and I love it.

It’s not just that though. The placement of the vocal track in verses 1 & 2 sounds like it’s been pasted in the wrong place over the music too. Even if I hadn’t heard previous versions I’d still think the ‘screaming fucking banshee’ line comes in too early.

I’m glad you enjoy Silkworms/Absurd but to me it’s the worst song released under the GNR name outside of ‘My World’. That’s my honest opinion, I’ve never liked the song though and this new version doesn’t do it for me either. It’s just repetitive drivel to my ears. 

• ABSUЯD 1

About ABSURD

Few days ago I send the song to my friend that I grew up with. He is musician and he sold me in 1994 AFD vinyl with banned cover for a 2 join* and 5 beers (good old teenage times :))))

his father was also musician so he grew up with diverse kind of music. Now he likes Rammstein, Linkin park, Behemoth and also punk rock from 80's-90's (just to introduce you about him)

i didn't tell him nothing about the background of the ABSURD that we all know here, just told him ,,new GnR song"

he really liked the song, different approach, new sounds and new sound of gnr, it really rocks he said, straight ,,punch in the face" punk attitude! And he said he would be glad if they release album in similar fashion  

I also remembered when VR released Contraband. Many of my friends who liked a little bit heavier/darker sound than GnR were amazed by the riffs, guitars and they especially praised Matt's drumming :)

so whatever gnr releases in near future, it will get new fans, I am sure. We, the old ones, we will not change our love about them. 
and I for sure, do not want another AFD or UYI, well not in that kind but something on "steroids"... like I felt with Contraband :)

10 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

it has a great slash riff to it for sure 

I always thought that Duff brought that riff :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

It’s not just that though. The placement of the vocal track in verses 1 & 2 sounds like it’s been pasted in the wrong place over the music too. Even if I hadn’t heard previous versions I’d still think the ‘screaming fucking banshee’ line comes in too early.

I’m glad you enjoy Silkworms/Absurd but to me it’s the worst song released under the GNR name outside of ‘My World’. That’s my honest opinion, I’ve never liked the song though and this new version doesn’t do it for me either. It’s just repetitive drivel to my ears. 

I find My World to be a better overall track. It tells a story and begs a question. Whereas Absurd has no redeeming qualities with the exception of Slash’s riffs. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

The placement of the vocal tracks is what makes it rock. It shouldn't work, but somehow it does.

49 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

I find My World to be a better overall track. It tells a story and begs a question. Whereas Absurd has no redeeming qualities with the exception of Slash’s riffs. 

agreed - my world actually sounds ok towards the end atrocious beginning but after trhere is somthing there 

absurd is absolute shite all round everything about it except for the fact that axl was actually crazy enough to perform it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

agreed - my world actually sounds ok towards the end atrocious beginning but after trhere is somthing there 

absurd is absolute shite all round everything about it except for the fact that axl was actually crazy enough to perform it 

All around? Even Slash's solos? Don't lie to yourself. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

I swear to god I like My World better too. But I have always said I liked My World.. It is way down my list of Gn'R tracks but I like it.. I literally liked every song they released up until the SFTD cover.. That isn't saying I would have wanted them to record another song anything like My World though. I just thought it was a cool one off wacky closer..

And those aren't Slash's riffs on Absurd.. He is playing shit someone else wrote.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I don't know what's stranger anymore.

That the first Guns N' Roses song featuring Slash since 1994 (unless you count Shadow of Your Love) is Silkworms.

Or that the guy who once called Slash a cancer not only made amends with him but allowed his guitar to be the main feature of a throwaway track written by the man who called the fanbase a bunch of dildos.

I'm still counting me enjoying ANY variation of Silkworms as the strangest thing in all of this lol. 

I'm glad other people have posted about the differences between Silkworms and Absurb because I do not ever want to hear the original again, even just to check out the differences. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about it and it's kind of funny how Chinese Democracy sounded dated in 2008 but would have fit right in if it was released in 2000 like it was originally planned.

And here we are 21 years later and that nu-metalish sound is making a strong comeback.  Bands like Code Orange, Fever333 and Bad Wolves are all starting to break out who totally have that sound.  Even Limp Bizkit played a huge crowd at Lollapalooza and there is huge buzz about them again.

And here's GnR dropping Absurd right as that sound is starting to blow up again.

8 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I've been thinking about it and it's kind of funny how Chinese Democracy sounded dated in 2008 but would have fit right in if it was released in 2000 like it was originally planned.

And here we are 21 years later and that nu-metalish sound is making a strong comeback.  Bands like Code Orange, Fever333 and Bad Wolves are all starting to break out who totally have that sound.  Even Limp Bizkit played a huge crowd at Lollapalooza and there is huge buzz about them again.

And here's GnR dropping Absurd right as that sound is starting to blow up again.

Good points here.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

I never get the point about music sounding dated. Either I like it or not. I think somebody who doesn't enjoy music that much, lets say the general radio listener, he may be used to the modern, up-to-date songs, because he gets, lets say directed, and he just listens to what gets some airplay in radio

But proper music fans who enjoy specific genres? With rock n roll my favorite music has its origins in the 60s, 70s and 80s. 

And while I listen to some hip hop too, specific hip hop, that's music from the 90s or early 2000s. I'm basically listen to dated music all the time. 

Dated? WTF! It's either good or not good.