ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

14 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I never get the point about music sounding dated. Either I like it or not. I think somebody who doesn't enjoy music that much, lets say the general radio listener, he may be used to the modern, up-to-date songs, because he gets, lets say directed, and he just listens to what gets some airplay in radio

But proper music fans who enjoy specific genres? With rock n roll my favorite music has its origins in the 60s, 70s and 80s. 

And while I listen to some hip hop too, specific hip hop, that's music from the 90s or early 2000s. I'm basically listen to dated music all the time. 

Dated? WTF! It's either good or not good.

100% agree. I never really understood this concept either. You like it or you don't. Pink Floyd made a new version of their 1987 album A Momentary Lapse of Reason. They tried to clean the 80s out of it. But you know what? I prefer the original. It may sound “dated” to some (particularly the snare drum), but it’s part of the album, the sound, the era, the magic, everything. It would be something like a re-recorded Appetite. Does AfD sound dated? Hell no, it’s perfect, and that’s not nostalgia or fandom talking here. The 1987 PF album can’t sound dated; it’s from a certain era and it’s awesome the way it is. It’s supposed to sound exactly like that, and it’s great. 
Besides, with that logic, 2021 music would sound dated in some time too, and we could also say that e.g. the old bluesmen sound dated, or maybe Elvis or the Stones, and we should re-record it, no? Sheesh. 

• Like 2

If they truly have a new song they would have released it now...it would be the best way to go. Businesslike

But, if you have nothing you take something old and make it look like new

A secondhand-song.  Same Same but Different. 

53 minutes ago, jfk_32 said:

If they truly have a new song they would have released it now...it would be the best way to go. Businesslike

Agreed. 
I really think Absurd is just a standalone single to promote the tour resuming and to keep fans interested. They might release an updated version of ‘Hard School’ too but I won’t be holding my breath for a new album any time soon, despite what Beta has said.

14 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am with you.. I love everything about Get In The Ring... 

It has drive, gradation, balls, backstory… the rant, the guitar, the atmosphere. One of the most GNR-defining songs from that era, even if it was basically just a one-off thing that was not to ever be played live. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

It has drive, gradation, balls, backstory… the rant, the guitar, the atmosphere. One of the most GNR-defining songs from that era, even if it was basically just a one-off thing that was not to ever be played live. 

This is the song that got me into GnR. I wasn't necessarily into rock or metal back then and I was still to find my 'thing', but a girl at school gave me a bootleg cassette of UYI2 and said I had to listen to it. I vividly remember lying in bed, reading a book, listening to the album on my Walkman not really paying attention to the music and then GITR came on... I was like WTF is that??

From that moment forward, I was hooked.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

15 hours ago, GNFNRUK said:

It’s not just that though. The placement of the vocal track in verses 1 & 2 sounds like it’s been pasted in the wrong place over the music too. Even if I hadn’t heard previous versions I’d still think the ‘screaming fucking banshee’ line comes in too early.

That's because the banshee part really was pasted in the wrong place in the 1st and 2nd verse. This is an obvious mistake, because live Axl has the timing right and always sings it like in verse 3. Okay, some might want to point out now that Axl has had so many timing issues over the past years, but the only timing issues here are with the copy/paste job in the released version. Some tech guy screwed up...

• Like 1

I had two more people reach out to me on this song.. I woke up to a text from my cousin saying "New Guns song is poop".. I gave him a quick history of how it was tracks from different bands over the years. He then said "Oh really, that scream is horrible" and then said "That's absurd they patched it all together" lol

My friends cousin who is a Die Hard Guns fan since we were kids. Sent me a message on facebook yesterday asking what I thought of it.  He just said he "wasn't a huge fan of it" and that "it didn't make Chinese so it should have dies a long time ago". 

Aside from here and online, I have yet to hear from one person that likes the song..

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think Absurd sounds like nu metal.

It's not. There's no hint at nu metal at all. No chromatic riff, no absurdly low tuning, no overdistorted guitars. 

The riff and the solos are fairly simple pentatonic based in E minor. You can mix Whole Lotta Love with Absurd and it would fit the scale. 

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I never get the point about music sounding dated. Either I like it or not. I think somebody who doesn't enjoy music that much, lets say the general radio listener, he may be used to the modern, up-to-date songs, because he gets, lets say directed, and he just listens to what gets some airplay in radio

But proper music fans who enjoy specific genres? With rock n roll my favorite music has its origins in the 60s, 70s and 80s. 

And while I listen to some hip hop too, specific hip hop, that's music from the 90s or early 2000s. I'm basically listen to dated music all the time. 

Dated? WTF! It's either good or not good.

I used to think that music could be dated. But I guess it's much more something about the recording quality and technique. I mean, you can def try to recreate some specific sound from the 80s drums now, but now this is a conscious choice, not just the limitation of the gear available.

8 minutes ago, A.J. said:

That's because the banshee part really was pasted in the wrong place in the 1st and 2nd verse. This is an obvious mistake, because live Axl has the timing right and always sings it like in verse 3. Okay, some might want to point out now that Axl has had so many timing issues over the past years, but the only timing issues here are with the copy/paste job in the released version. Some tech guy screwed up...

Like many, many people already said: it's obviously not a mistake. The fact that it was present on previous demos may be clue enough that they would have at least 12 years to correct that. And it fits. It's odd timing, but it's not wrong.

Also, Axl never sang the YCBM bridge in the same way as the studio. By your logic, the UYI version was an "obvious mistake" too.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, A.J. said:

Just because he sings it on time live doesn’t mean the studio is wrong. Just means it would be extremely difficult and annoying to sing it that way live every night 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jfk_32 said:

I disagree. If they are not ready to release an album it makes sense to release SOMETHING to conjure up some buzz for this tour

Absurd is just priming us for a big gun like Hardskool.

I wonder if other songs on the next album are spelled funny. Seems to be a theme. 

After hearing Absurd's guitars, I believe the next album (CD2 with Slash and Duff) may even sound better than it did with BBF. I hope they keep some Robin and Bucket.

• Like 1

I had a wee joint last night on the balcony whilst having another listen to Absurd. There's some weird as fuck phrasing going on with the vocals that is a going to annoy me. However, I then stuck on the studio version of Silkworms, and pretended I wasn't listening to GNR. And to my complete surprise I kinda enjoyed it. Intro is a bit overblown but I was kinda getting the groove after a few listens. Perhaps I've been too harsh on this after all! I mean I've long been a big fan of Oh My God so it seems reasonable I'd enjoy Silkworms. But hey ho. And that concludes my utterly pointless update! Haha!

• Like 1

I listened to the Village version of this song in my vehicle last night on the way home from work. That one sounds better mixed than the new one. I have not listened to Absurd in my vehicle yet, maybe I'll burn all studio versions and some of the remixes to see how they all compare. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I listened to the Village version of this song in my vehicle last night on the way home from work. That one sounds better mixed than the new one. I have not listened to Absurd in my vehicle yet, maybe I'll burn all studio versions and some of the remixes to see how they all compare. 

I think the original is better overall... sans the intro which is totally unnecessary. Bizarrely the Axl lines in the chorus of the new version I quite like... and a lot of folk don't. I think on the new version, the Slash guitar lines actually compliment fairly well and there's a wee bass run which Duff plays that I quite like. Just gonna call it though... drums are meh! I won't go as far to say I'm digging Absurd, but I will at least give it the time of day and allow it to try and win me over. I saw a line from somebody on this forum which I quite liked around GNR have just released the most un-GNR song possible and that that itself is quite cool and ambitious. I'm kinda in that camp too, regardless of whether I like the track or not! If that makes any sense at all. 

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

do we know chart positions for it in the UK and USA in particular? 

Rock songs barely ever chart any more. It’s all about what kids listen to on their phones for free.

Absurd made No.45 on the download chart and 48 for overall sales but that’s not enough to get near the ‘official’ top 100 chart these days.

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-downloads-chart/

• Like 1