ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

1 minute ago, 19AT5 said:

I think the original is better overall... sans the intro which is totally unnecessary. Bizarrely the Axl lines in the chorus of the new version I quite like... and a lot of folk don't. I think on the new version, the Slash guitar lines actually compliment fairly well and there's a wee bass run which Duff plays that I quite like. Just gonna call it though... drums are meh! I won't go as far to say I'm digging Absurd, but I will at least give it the time of day and allow it to try and win me over. I saw a line from somebody on this forum which I quite liked around GNR have just released the most un-GNR song possible and that that itself is quite cool and ambitious. I'm kinda in that camp too, regardless of whether I like the track or not! If that makes any sense at all. 

I agree, the old intro was way long and unnecessary. I think Brain's drums would sound better if they were higher in the mix on the Absurd version. The guitars sounds too high as well. Though Josh's drums (I presume they are Josh's) are absolutely killer on the village version, especially as the long ass intro ends.

My ideal version would be with the intro from the Bumble leak (close to the Absurd version) with Slash and Fortus' solos (presumably Fortus solos with Slash on Absurd) but with the missing chorus from the 2001 shows put back in. I'm sure there's some kickass mixes that are similar to this with Buckethead, that would be my "holy grail" Silkworms mix. I would bet there's some 2001-2004 versions of that out there somewhere...

Years ago I heard someone associated with the band say Buckethead improved Silkworms with a solo, and they apparently enjoyed it on their iPod. 

20 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I agree, the old intro was way long and unnecessary. I think Brain's drums would sound better if they were higher in the mix on the Absurd version. The guitars sounds too high as well. Though Josh's drums (I presume they are Josh's) are absolutely killer on the village version, especially as the long ass intro ends.

My ideal version would be with the intro from the Bumble leak (close to the Absurd version) with Slash and Fortus' solos (presumably Fortus solos with Slash on Absurd) but with the missing chorus from the 2001 shows put back in. I'm sure there's some kickass mixes that are similar to this with Buckethead, that would be my "holy grail" Silkworms mix. I would bet there's some 2001-2004 versions of that out there somewhere...

Years ago I heard someone associated with the band say Buckethead improved Silkworms with a solo, and they apparently enjoyed it on their iPod. 

THIS is when Melissa can shine….she could probably remix it in the way you suggested as she is clearly adept at that.

Then we’d have a fourth version 🤣.

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Didn't go top 100 in the UK. Charts announced today and was keeping an eye out to see if it would chart. It didn't. :(

Yeah it was #1 ok the ITunes rock chart the day it came out and now a week later…it’s not even in the Top 100. Good grief.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Ach you're likely pal, but fuck it... we've been presented wae beans on toast unexpectedly, but if we had had the chance, we'd likely have taken pasta! Haha!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

THIS is when Melissa can shine….she could probably remix it in the way you suggested as she is clearly adept at that.

Then we’d have a fourth version 🤣.

I'll be sure to ask her, or Brain, assuming they are not too busy with each other at the time. ;D

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes.

And the original version wasn't nu metal or industrial either. It was electronica/electro-punk. Some people just tend to label anything that's synth driven or using samples as industrial or nu metal.

It's not that it's nu metal but the song would definitely have fit in very well with what was popular back in the mid to late 90s into the early 2000s.  Just like Oh My God isn't nu metal but had a very similar vibe and sound and fit in really well onto the End of Days soundtrack full of Powerman 5000, Korn, Limp Bizkit and Rob Zombie.

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

It's not that it's nu metal but the song would definitely have fit in very well with what was popular back in the mid to late 90s into the early 2000s.  Just like Oh My God isn't nu metal but had a very similar vibe and sound and fit in really well onto the End of Days soundtrack full of Powerman 5000, Korn, Limp Bizkit and Rob Zombie.

Yes, Oh My God musically had some of that vibe.

Not Silkowrms, though. It was influenced by other things that were popular at the time (The Prodigy, mainly), but not that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I gave the old HOB 2001 version of Silkworms a listen for the first time in probably over a decade, and yeah, they improved it big time.

I still really enjoy the older version, and quite honestly was expecting Slash to make CD material boring, but I actually really enjoyed what they did with it. 

20 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes.

And the original version wasn't nu metal or industrial either. It was electronica/electro-punk. Some people just tend to label anything that's synth driven or using samples as industrial or nu metal.

#truth

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Listening to Shooter Jennings show on Outlaw Country 60 on Sirius radio just now... he played it! 🍻 First time I’ve heard it in the wild besides me clicking play on my phone...

Aw man I keep hoping to hear it on Sirius. I just missed being in my car at that time lol