ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I looked up the numbers on Spotify, Writing on the Wall is at 5.1 million streams and Absurd is at 1.2 million streams but like you said the Maiden song has been out for a month already. I still think that for having been out for less than 2 weeks more than 1 million streams is really good, esp for an artist that isn't Taylor Swift/Olivia Rodrigo/etc. Let's see how many streams Absurd has a month after release.

I wasn’t sure what to make of the 1 million views on YouTube and 1.2 million streams on Spotify. It sounds really good, but I’m still not sure. Sweet child reached 1 billion streams on Spotify right around the same time Absurd was released. It has since received 5 million streams. So a 34 year old song has about 4 million more streams than Absurd. Not sure what my point is, I know sweet child is an all-time classic, but it just makes me feel like 1 million streams isn’t as impressive as it first sounded.  For what it’s worth, I dig Absurd, I’m just glad to have something “officially released from GNR. I do wish they would’ve kept the silkworms chorus though

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

Thanks for this, very interesting. First thought was, their free, awesome, release music and hold the rights. Then I'm reminded its gnr, and nothing is ever this straight forward. 

It’s impossible to tell without the contract. Most likely it’s been renegotiated countless times. We know that UMG stopped funding their sessions during Chinese Democracy. GNR had to fund it on their own to finish the album. That opens a ton of questions on its own 

They could very well still owe the label albums and aren’t out of their deal, but at the same time have control of some part of their masters as well  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-guns-n-roses-guitarist-ron-bumblefoot-thal-remembers-recording-his-parts-for-song-that-became-absurd/

Nothing new as such, but interesting to hear him mention. 

Would love to know how many others he worked on!

Bumble did say more than once that he worked on 30 tunes including Chinese.

I think it's likely there are at least 15 unreleased tunes that were completed by Bumble.

edit: forgot he also did some work on Oh My God so at the very least 14 unreleased tracks that I assume were ready to be released years ago.

Edited by Rovim

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Just noticed this.

It's the same as with SMKC's latest record:

"© 2018 Snakepit Records, LLC under exclusive license to Roadrunner Records, Inc. for North America and South America."

Slash released it under his own label and licensed it to Roadrunner for distribution.

So it looks like that GnR have released it independently and licensed it to Geffen for distribution, which means that they own the recording and not the label.

[On youtube it says that it's licensed by UMG, but most likely that's not UMG the record label, but UMG  Publishing that has Axl's publishing (meaning the rights from songwriting, sync and mechanical royalties, etc. - I think Slash and Duff still have their own publishing).] 

This is very interesting, because it could mean that GnR are free from the contract with the label.

Yeah, that's how I interpreted it, too. 

The the question is, would the likelihood of new music increase if the band is released from the label, or decrease? :)

10 hours ago, Pele said:

Mixture of opinion (presented as fact)

Well, could you stop presenting your opinion as facts? It is fucking annoying to have a wanna-be insider presenting spurious theories as facts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Guns N Roses don’t have hardcore fans and/or a lot of fans in South America? I’d be a little surprised if that official Absurd video has 10 million views by its 1 year anniversary next year, let alone its 1 month anniversary. 

Oh absolutely it’s hardcore etc….but Maiden in SA is like nothing else. Complete and utter devotion…totally mental.

12 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

2 weeks later Absurd is still crap to these ears.... I’ve tried it a few times and it’s still tripe. 

1.5 million views of the first original track by a band in 13 years. The new Iron Maiden tune has 10 million views. That says a lot. 

If you look at the officially released singles by GNR, this surely ranks the worst. Shadow of your love, even though an oldie, was far better than this. 

Amongst the couple of music heads and GNR heads I know, I haven’t heard anything positive about this track. “It’s a joke right” , “it’s not sexy” and “I turned it off after a minute, twice” were some of the comments made. 

I’m glad they got SOMETHING, out there, and I hope an album follows, but this track ain’t great.

(Again, only my take on it. Music is like food, what I eat others might not like and others eat what I might not like, it’s why there’s such a variety of music, all tastes are catered for, and absurd isn’t to my taste) 

Light my Fire has been mentioned by some posters in this thread @Pele is this a cover of the Doors track? I never thought of Guns covering this track, but I could see it being brilliant. I’m intrigued!!

Absurd is better than the Maiden single. Not joking. And I'm a fan of both bands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

“She’s not my mother, Toodd”

🎶🎵 Hooooooooowwwww, listen mother fucker to the song that should be heard!” 

😂😂

And the hoooww doesn’t have one trace of rasp in it… gets annoying after the second time hearing it. 

I don't think is THAT Bad. It's not on the standars of a GUNS N ROSES song. Just like Chinese Democracy (not GNR either) so makes sense that a leftover wouldn't be that good. BUT it rocks more than any other Chinese's song and maybe I Even enjoy it and that's because of Slash. I take Anything if he is on board. If he can breathe life into Chinese leftovers imagine what he can do if they write something fresh

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They just shared this on their official facebook page.. It is getting absolutely destroyed by 99% (no exaggeration) of the comments from fans on their own page. The world really doesn't wanted regurgitated CD era crap..

Well, the majority of people on GNRs social media probably felt that exact same way about CD and would slate anything new the band put out. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They just shared this on their official facebook page.. It is getting absolutely destroyed by 99% (no exaggeration) of the comments from fans on their own page. The world really doesn't wanted regurgitated CD era crap..

I don't follow anything to do with GN'R on social media, so I went to have a look just now. 

A ton of people are trashing it for sure. A few people saying they liked it but what's funny to me is all the people responding when someone says they like it. 

Not sure why people have to reply in hopes of convincing someone to not like it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I imagine (and apologies for this in advance) that a lot of GNR fans are rather, how shall we put it, 'stuck in their ways' now. Anything less than a COMPLETE rehash of the past (i.e. SCOM part 2 or something) would be greeted badly. 

Also, there's the fact that GNR have made themselves FIRMLY about nostalgia for a long time now, which always attracts dullards. There's no wonder when they've set the stall out like that for so long that if they do something that isn't identical to the sound they made in the 80s/90s people will dislike it. 

Not saying that's the reason EVERYONE dislikes it of course, just suggesting that these two factors will be coming into play pretty heavily. 

I agree that's part of the problem. Add to the mix Axl choosing to release one of the least commercial, divisive songs in his catalogue and it goes a long way to explaining the reaction.

Part of me thinks Axl wouldn't give a fuck anyway.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, that's how I interpreted it, too. 

The the question is, would the likelihood of new music increase if the band is released from the label, or decrease? :)

Well, could you stop presenting your opinion as facts? It is fucking annoying to have a wanna-be insider presenting spurious theories as facts.

It would most likely increase and creates a bunch of flexibility with what they could do with live releases and special projects.

I don’t think they’re free from their label deal and obligations though. The label isn’t going to turn down an option that we know exists.  Especially with a reunited GNR. Its possible this has more to do with who funded the recording and who owns the masters 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 中国民主 said:

Interestingly, I conducted a very elaborate and lengthy study on this very question, going through a dizzying number of comments on various social media platforms and analyzing them with renowned psychological and neurological experts and the result was that they're being assholes.

Ahhh, OK. I greatly appreciate your in depth analysis! 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I imagine (and apologies for this in advance) that a lot of GNR fans are rather, how shall we put it, 'stuck in their ways' now. Anything less than a COMPLETE rehash of the past (i.e. SCOM part 2 or something) would be greeted badly. 

Definitely think this is a thing. I still see people commenting that it's missing Izzy and I'm like we need to move on lol. 

• Like 2