ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

52 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They just shared this on their official facebook page.. It is getting absolutely destroyed by 99% (no exaggeration) of the comments from fans on their own page. The world really doesn't wanted regurgitated CD era crap..

Just had a look myself and you're right... it is getting utterly slated big time! Ooooooft, burn! I think you're right though, the vast majority of people are not really interested in regurgitated CD leftovers, bar a few hardcore fans. The test would be... how many new GNR fans will Absurd attract? If you have option of Absurd vs Jungle... how many people are really gonna side with Absurd?! (Bar undoubtedly a few folk here!)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I just hope Axl doesn’t think “well, no one likes new music, lets just not release anything else”.

He *would* come to that conclusion after dropping Silkworms as the first single with Slash since the first Bush administration. And I'm a fan. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

You know what would be hilarious and woefully not outside the realm of possibilities? If tomorrow they drop "Spiders" a re-worked OMG with Slash and Duff. You think people are upset right now? 

They could release their whole back catalog re-recorded and I would be a happy camper :headbang:

• Like 1

Just now, jekylhyde said:

They could release their whole back catalog re-recorded and I would be a happy camper :headbang:

Oh, I agree, I love OMG....And I love Slash and Duff.....It's a win win for anyone who isn't in a perpetual state of waiting to complain about something. I just think it'd be funny how everyone will absolutely freak.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think a lot of the negative "this doesn't sound like GnR" reactions on social media have more to do with Axl's voice than the musical style. For most people the GnR sound is Axl's voice and Slash's guitar. CD didn't have Slash. This one has Slash, but not Axl's "signature voice" that people recognize.

People have a problem with it  most likely because they expect better. This tune is barely a “real” song with no interesting narrative and the half brained repeating of Absurd as a chorus. There’s other material they have that could actually impress/please people so I’d recommend they get to releasing it. Absurd was okay (but mediocre) as a first taste type of release but if that’s all they got planned…the person making the plans is a F’ing idiot. Unfortunately we know who that person is and how idiotic their decision making can be.  😑 

• Like 4

I wish the next single would be something bold like The General.  Don't get me wrong, Hard Skool is a "safe" second single that I'd be more than happy to hear, but this genre is (sadly) not charting in any real way in 2021 anyway. Might as well keep people on their toes with complex tracks.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I hope Axl has a crazy scream over the side part in hard school. That’d make a fucking awesome bridge

that song will get streams and radio play

Don't bet on hearing any of this stuff on the radio, no matter how great it ends up being.  Some nostalgia based classic rock stations may give it some love just for the novelty of playing a "new" GNR track, but I don't see it being a cultural phenomenon, certainly not the way many of us were hoping for Chinese Democracy in the early 00s. 

My advice to everyone is just enjoy the miracle of new GNR recordings with Slash, Duff & Axl as fans. 

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I imagine (and apologies for this in advance) that a lot of GNR fans are rather, how shall we put it, 'stuck in their ways' now. Anything less than a COMPLETE rehash of the past (i.e. SCOM part 2 or something) would be greeted badly. 

Also, there's the fact that GNR have made themselves FIRMLY about nostalgia for a long time now, which always attracts dullards. There's no wonder when they've set the stall out like that for so long that if they do something that isn't identical to the sound they made in the 80s/90s people will dislike it. 

Not saying that's the reason EVERYONE dislikes it of course, just suggesting that these two factors will be coming into play pretty heavily. 

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I agree that's part of the problem. Add to the mix Axl choosing to release one of the least commercial, divisive songs in his catalogue and it goes a long way to explaining the reaction.

Part of me thinks Axl wouldn't give a fuck anyway.

Both the posts nail it. Some folk just want SCOM V2 and WTTJ V2 and anything else is unacceptable. Never mind the fact that across all the albums there is a variety of styles etc…it’s not really a stretch they could have a track like this…..releasing it was ballsy but as Towelie says….Axl (and the others) won’t give a fuck that some folk don’t like it.

The dissenters are always the loudest….I only post here re GNR but if I did post on their social media I’d be saying I like it. Comments on a social media post don’t represent the vast breadth of the GNR fan base.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

People have a problem with it  most likely because they expect better. This tune is barely a “real” song with no interesting narrative and the half brained repeating of Absurd as a chorus. There’s other material they have that could actually impress/please people so I’d recommend they get to releasing it. Absurd was okay (but mediocre) as a first taste type of release but if that’s all they got planned…the person making the plans is a F’ing idiot. Unfortunately we know who that person is and how idiotic their decision making can be.  😑 

Have you considered this is the only song Axl feels confident enough to sing live?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

It’s impossible to tell without the contract. Most likely it’s been renegotiated countless times. We know that UMG stopped funding their sessions during Chinese Democracy. GNR had to fund it on their own to finish the album. That opens a ton of questions on its own 

They could very well still owe the label albums and aren’t out of their deal, but at the same time have control of some part of their masters as well  

The label stopped funding the CD project in early 2004. So it's possible that it doesn't own the masters of what was created after that and until the release of CD. However, the vast majority of the songs, including Silkworms, were created before that. Unless the various versions and re-recordings, full or partial (e.g. same vocals/different instruments) of the same songs count, which I don't know. If the re-recordings count, it means that this new, partly re-recorded version, is not owned by the label.

There's the possibility that Axl/GnR has bought the master recordings of the CD leftovers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think a lot of the negative "this doesn't sound like GnR" reactions on social media have more to do with Axl's voice than the musical style. For most people the GnR sound is Axl's voice and Slash's guitar. CD didn't have Slash. This one has Slash, but not Axl's "signature voice" that people recognize.

This is exactly what I feel. The lyrics are...well they're lyrics. But there's no trace of that classic Axl casual fans know and love. Rock The Rock showed me that he can still get a good enough grasp of it to show publicly if he wants to. 

Musically I love it. It's become more guitar driven. It's got, what is immediately clear as day, Slash on it. 

I'd be curious to hear general public perception of Hardschool. Once Axl gets to the chorus I really hope that old fans will go, "Yes. THAT'S Axl. He's back."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gunner55 said:

This is exactly what I feel. The lyrics are...well they're lyrics. But there's no trace of that classic Axl casual fans know and love. Rock The Rock showed me that he can still get a good enough grasp of it to show publicly if he wants to. 

Musically I love it. It's become more guitar driven. It's got, what is immediately clear as day, Slash on it. 

I'd be curious to hear general public perception of Hardschool. Once Axl gets to the chorus I really hope that old fans will go, "Yes. THAT'S Axl. He's back."

Yeah, in retrospect, they should probably drop Hard Skool, like, yesterday. :lol: