Use Your Illusion Box Set

On September 17, UYI will be turning 30 years old.

Do you think it will be possible to launch a Box Set?

What tracks could you have besides the two remastered albums?

I think it could include remastered songs from the sessions like A Beer and a Cigarete, Crash Diet, Ain´t Going Down, Down In The Street, tour merch and so on.

Axl sold Crash Diet away and all of the other Hell House songs like Too Much Too Soon and Bring It Back Home are likely still owned by West Arkeen’s estate, which the band has had issues with in the past, I think.

Also in wake of Absurd’s release and HardSkool on the way, I think it’s safe to say the band is prioritizing new music now over a UYI box (which is a good thing, imo).

troc said recently that he now thinks the UYI box will be next summer (if it still happens). So it looks like they’re gonna be a year late with it, like they were with the AFD one.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • GNFNR 1

Crash Diet is a song from like before AFD was made, would be random as fuck to put it on a UYI anniversary. The only "new" song I can see us getting is Aint Going Down and some unreleased live versions / demos. The real treasure from that era are the pro shots / video documentary anyway, not the songs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Crash Diet is a song from like before AFD was made, would be random as fuck to put it on a UYI anniversary. The only "new" song I can see us getting is Aint Going Down and some unreleased live versions / demos. The real treasure from that era are the pro shots / video documentary anyway, not the songs.

there are also some cover songs that didn't make it onto the TSI album. It would even be epic for there to be recordings from the post-TSI era, such as recordings with Zakk or Izzy's compositions (DBTO), according to Sorum by the end of 1994 they had a recorded album to be released, however it is already another era.

please no box set!

the AFD box set is horrible. GNR did (past tense) like three real albums (AFD , UYI, CHIN) and unless you're into bootlegs (I am) that ain't much music to spend your life to. As a kid, way before going online, I used to wear down a few copies of AFD on vinyl, tape, cd, mp3, flac , etc. When they released the remaster in 2018 it just sucked. The sound quality wasn't any better than a good old tape on a proper home system, but the music sounded different. And we ain't talking covers or re-recordings. It was just irritating. Everything that I was used to wasn't there. Like somebody was purposely trying to fool me selling me a chinese imitation of a video console that I used to own as a kid, and I'm looking at it going "damn, I could have sworn I remembered it differently. it's not an original, it's a clone. that's so close yet so far away". It's like you wanna get Playstation 1 in 2021 but you find PSX classic under your xmas tree.

oh and did I mention it's overpriced? and stick those lame ass patches and posters up your ass.  a thousand bucks? kiss my fakkin ass. and you dare to deem yourself a street punk band. fakk you and your 100 000 bucks a month divorce allimonies . not from my pocket you won't celebrate 30 years of UYI with a fakkin Silkworms re-release and a boxset

2 hours ago, PHARAO97 said:

On September 17, UYI will be turning 30 years old.

Do you think it will be possible to launch a Box Set?

What tracks could you have besides the two remastered albums?

I think it could include remastered songs from the sessions like A Beer and a Cigarete, Crash Diet, Ain´t Going Down, Down In The Street, tour merch and so on.

Best read this thread!

Edited by DTJ80

3 hours ago, whatashame said:

please no box set!

the AFD box set is horrible. GNR did (past tense) like three real albums (AFD , UYI, CHIN) and unless you're into bootlegs (I am) that ain't much music to spend your life to. As a kid, way before going online, I used to wear down a few copies of AFD on vinyl, tape, cd, mp3, flac , etc. When they released the remaster in 2018 it just sucked. The sound quality wasn't any better than a good old tape on a proper home system, but the music sounded different. And we ain't talking covers or re-recordings. It was just irritating. Everything that I was used to wasn't there. Like somebody was purposely trying to fool me selling me a chinese imitation of a video console that I used to own as a kid, and I'm looking at it going "damn, I could have sworn I remembered it differently. it's not an original, it's a clone. that's so close yet so far away". It's like you wanna get Playstation 1 in 2021 but you find PSX classic under your xmas tree.

oh and did I mention it's overpriced? and stick those lame ass patches and posters up your ass.  a thousand bucks? kiss my fakkin ass. and you dare to deem yourself a street punk band. fakk you and your 100 000 bucks a month divorce allimonies . not from my pocket you won't celebrate 30 years of UYI with a fakkin Silkworms re-release and a boxset

Lol playa, I didn't buy any of that, but am glad the extra material got put on spotify!

Are we positive that "Ain't Goin' Down No More" is the only outtake original outtake from the Use Your Illusion era? I mean, perhaps there are a few other previously unreleased original songs that the guys would be willing to throw out there on a reissue if/when the time comes. Or perhaps they would use any previously unknown material on a new album (which does seem to be inching close to reality with "Absurd" getting a release).