5 Killer Album Closers

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Nice picks. Loving The Alien is beautiful. 

TBH, you could've picked any GNR album closer for this list, Rocket Queen, Coma, YCBM (lets pretend My World doesn't exist). 

And of course, Purple Rain... does it get any better?

I started out trying to pick obscure / lesser known closers but how could I not include Purple Rain?? 

As far as GN'R goes, Don't Cry Alt actually closes UYI II but I get your point :)

And yeah, I think Loving The Alien is massively underrated 

Just now, RussTCB said:

I started out trying to pick obscure / lesser known closers but how could I not include Purple Rain?? 

As far as GN'R goes, Don't Cry Alt actually closes UYI II but I get your point :)

Ah shit, I did wonder if I was right with YCBM. We're both wrong really, as it's My World, which totally invalidates its potential inclusion on this list, lets face it. :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Ah shit, I did wonder if I was right with YCBM. We're both wrong really, as it's My World, which totally invalidates its potential inclusion on this list, lets face it. :lol:

No, in my world (no pun intended) My World doesn't exist haha

But yes, in reality, UYI II is disqualified from the discussion. 

6 minutes ago, alfierose said:

When was the last time we heard Prostitute? I don't think it's been part of the reunion tour so far has it?

I don't know how many times they've played it but I do know they played it in Detroit in late 2017. 

I was on a work trip and missed that show. I told my wife it wasn't a big deal because they wouldn't do anything special. About half way through the show, she sent me a snapchat of them playing Prostitute and said "Dammit, I'm sorry you're missing this" lol

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 1

Prostitute is a great album-ender. I remember before any of us heard it, the description was "fire and ice." That's a pretty good way to describe it. The piano outro is a good way to finish an album. That being said, I think Rocket Queen is an even stronger album-ender. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

November 29, 2017 at The Forum, Inglewood, CA, USA.

I know we (mostly on my end) snip at at each other a lot, but I really admire the GN'R knowledge you always know off the top of your head, or at least have quick access to because of all the work you put into your site :)

7 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Quite a few years back now then. Probably why I've forgotten. It's a great song, possibly not the right vibe for a show where people are pumped which is maybe why it doesn't get aired too much.

My wife likes Chinese a lot and even she said "it wasn't a big deal, it actually sucked the energy out of the show for a minute" lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Prostitute is a great album-ender. I remember before any of us heard it, the description was "fire and ice." That's a pretty good way to describe it. The piano outro is a good way to finish an album. That being said, I think Rocket Queen is an even stronger album-ender. 

I totally agree on RQ. Outside of the inclusion of Purple Rain here, I was just looking to do some more obscure tracks. Otherwise, RQ would be one of the first ones I'd go to. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I totally agree on RQ. Outside of the inclusion of Purple Rain here, I was just looking to do some more obscure tracks. Otherwise, RQ would be one of the first ones I'd go to. 

I think the final 2-3 minutes of Rocket Queen is GOAT level stuff, not only in GN'R Land but in the history of rock and roll. You will not find more passionate vocals from Axl in any other GN'R studio recording. The lyrics are spot on and the instruments are phenomenal from Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Stevie. It's awesome. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

18 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I think the final 2-3 minutes of Rocket Queen is GOAT level stuff, not only in GN'R Land but in the history of rock and roll. You will not find more passionate vocals from Axl in any other GN'R studio recording. The lyrics are spot on and the instruments are phenomenal from Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Stevie. It's awesome. 

Totally agree. Thanks to some comments in this thread and on YouTube, I'm already planning a follow up video with some more mainstream choices :)

• Like 1

Nice video man!

I dug VR when they were active but little known fact is that Loving The Alien is not only a fantastic closer, it’s also my Fav VR track and is still in my playlist.

Prostitute is a good closer as well.  I like what you said about it and I really wish people would take that record and give it a spin for what it is because it is a great album in its own right.  Yes it’s a departure from what people think of GNR as sounding but that’s the point isn’t it?

Thanks for sharing the video, I love to hear your insight into music.

• ABSUЯD 1

The Piano at the end of Prostitute is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. A fitting end to a truly great record.

Also, I disagree with your opening statement. One minor change was required, which I have added below! :lol:

"Album closers are a big deal. They are the last word on an artists statement that they're making for the next two, three, fourteen years until they make their next record..."

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

Nice video man!

I dug VR when they were active but little known fact is that Loving The Alien is not only a fantastic closer, it’s also my Fav VR track and is still in my playlist.

Prostitute is a good closer as well.  I like what you said about it and I really wish people would take that record and give it a spin for what it is because it is a great album in its own right.  Yes it’s a departure from what people think of GNR as sounding but that’s the point isn’t it?

Thanks for sharing the video, I love to hear your insight into music.

I didn't know that about Loving The Alien being one of your favorites, but obviously I agree. I remember hearing Contraband for the first time and liking it, then getting to the end and being like "WHOA" through the entire last track. 

And I agree of course about Chinese. If a lot of people gave it an honest chance, they'd find a lot they'd dig. 

12 minutes ago, Dean said:

The Piano at the end of Prostitute is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. A fitting end to a truly great record.

Also, I disagree with your opening statement. One minor change was required, which I have added below! :lol:

"Album closers are a big deal. They are the last word on an artists statement that they're making for the next two, three, fourteen years until they make their next record..."

Everything about that fading outro on Prostitute is perfect, piano included. 

And haha, yes, that's my bad on the wording in the video. I always forget you have to include a caveat for those artists who chose to go decades between sharing their art lol

• GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

Great take on Loving the Alien!!!! I always thought he was talking about Heroin here "Sometimes is all the time, And never means maybe". Chilling song indeed.. Also thought for sure when you said Gn'R it was going to be Rocket Queen.. No need to re-state your reasons. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Great take on Loving the Alien!!!! I always thought he was talking about Heroin here "Sometimes is all the time, And never means maybe". Chilling song indeed.. Also thought for sure when you said Gn'R it was going to be Rocket Queen.. No need to re-state your reasons. 

Thanks and I'm glad someone else had a similar take on that song. I know I said this in the video, but that song read to me like a "Down In A Hole" moment as soon as I heard it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Nice video mate. It's fucking crazy to me that Better is your favourite GNR song.

I don't know why but I often subconsciously envision you as having a haircut similar to Paul from Tekken, except not quite as high and bright red. :lol:

Good lowkey vibe btw.

Haha my hair was actually shoulder-ish length in the first couple of videos on the channel. 

Not Tobias quality hair, but still lol

Thanks for watching and the compliments on the vibe. Just trying to put some positive, fun out into the world ') 

10 hours ago, Towelie said:

Nice picks. Loving The Alien is beautiful. 

TBH, you could've picked any GNR album closer for this list, Rocket Queen, Coma, YCBM (lets pretend My World doesn't exist). 

And of course, Purple Rain... does it get any better?

You Could Be Mine wouldn't work. Between that and My World is Don't Cry (alt lyrics). I fully agree that YCBM would've been a good closing song 👍.