The best Live version of "Welcome To The Jungle"

2 hours ago, willl said:

This is what I think too. I was 16 or so when I first saw that gig on VHS in 01 and just seeing that sea of people bouncing up and down when GNR started Jungle gave me goosebumps.

The exorcist intro just before the song was really cool too :headbang:

Maybe not my favorite in terms of the actual performance, but the energy at that show was unmatched. I love that in the House of Blues and Rock in Rio videos, you can tell Axl was truly surprised and humbled by how big of a response the new band received. 

22 minutes ago, alangarcianr said:

Coachella 2016 is on my personal top 5 list. Flawless performance

Especially for the moment, Axl doesn’t always have the best pro shot performances but he nailed that one. The scream was unreal. 

Again I have to say please check out Cincinnati 2016 Jungle if you haven’t already! I get goosebumps watching it 

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Same. First row. Was epic when Axl came down for better and Finck for nightrain. Got to touch him like a 14 year old groupie

SAME! When he was slapping hands and enjoying himself. Also, Madagascar where he scalded the band and went classic Axl, good times. 

Goooood times!

• Like 4

The first one that comes to mind is the 1988 music awards for sure..

Not the greatest but 2016 versions were some of the best from this lineup. There was one I watched a ton.. I think it was when they first started doing the extended breakdown and you didn't really know when Axl was going to come in.. The suspense was cool and he could still nail it when he re-enetered with the "you know where you are".    I wish we could have 2016 Axl back with the improved tempos of teh current tour. 

• Like 1

Rock Am Ring wins for Axl's best performance I think. Not only is the scream top notch but it doesn't kill any of his momentum for the rest of the song unlike say the VMAs or RIR 2001 where the screams were top notch but the performances themselves winded and weak. Rock Am Ring is the whole package.

That being said, I never cared for how any of the incarnations of Guns between 2001-2014 played the verses of Jungle. The portmanteau of Slash's and Izzy's parts in the last repeat before the vocals start never sounded right to my ears (I've seen lots of tabs and covers make that error over the years, but there are two distinct parts). Slash also plays the verses as single notes with improvised licks which adds some groove and nuance that I feel got lost along the way.

So on that note, instrumentally I dig a lot of the versions from 1992. Argentina, Chicago, Paris - all terrific. Generally I prefer Steven (and even Frank) on the Appetite stuff, but I always though Matt had a nice laid back groove on Jungle.

VMAs 1988 is indeed a banger all around as well.

28 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Rock am ring is a overrated show (not even on top10 from 2006 tour), but I accept the fact that it was a pro shot.

No. It’s a top 10 show for sure. They played a Chinese Democracy heavy set, they were tight, enjoying themselves and allowed to let loose with no curfew. It was one of their best.

23 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

No. It’s a top 10 show for sure. They played a Chinese Democracy heavy set, they were tight, enjoying themselves and allowed to let loose with no curfew. It was one of their best.

Rock Am Ring was in the beggining of that tour. Axl`s top perfomances were from the middle to end.

NovaRock Festival, Greece, Download (both Ireland and UK), London, Newcastle, Manchester, Toronto, San Franisco, 3 LA Shows and much more were MUCH better than Rock Am Ring.

edit: sorry, i`ve just read that you WERE in that show. Didn`t meant to be disrespectul.

Edited by ChrisMaciel
  • Like 1