How rock ruled in 1991 — and why it's dead 30 years later

Say what you want but fun to read and remember the rock to grunge era.  Some GnR tid bits too.  - https://nypost.com/2021/08/12/how-rock-ruled-in-1991-and-why-its-dead-30-years-later/

There was so much anticipation for Guns N’ Roses’ follow-up to their mega-selling debut, 1987’s “Appetite for Destruction,” that Axl Rose’s gang decided to release two “Use Your Illusion” albums separately and simultaneously.

“It was one of the first real event releases, where people were counting down the days until the albums came out,” said Unterberger. “People were lining up around the block at Tower Records at midnight.”

• Like 2

Parker said today’s takes on the genre feel too derivative. “I’m sorry — it’s gonna take more than Greta Van Fleet [who are often compared to Led Zeppelin] to save rock ‘n’ roll. I think they’re talented, but what they’re doing is so copyist. It’s not innovative. If rock ‘n’ roll is gonna come back, it’s gonna come back with something that sounds new.”

LOL. that guy ain't heard the new album.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Original said:

Say what you want but fun to read and remember the rock to grunge era.  Some GnR tid bits too.  - https://nypost.com/2021/08/12/how-rock-ruled-in-1991-and-why-its-dead-30-years-later/

There was so much anticipation for Guns N’ Roses’ follow-up to their mega-selling debut, 1987’s “Appetite for Destruction,” that Axl Rose’s gang decided to release two “Use Your Illusion” albums separately and simultaneously.

“It was one of the first real event releases, where people were counting down the days until the albums came out,” said Unterberger. “People were lining up around the block at Tower Records at midnight.”

Not the first though....30 years ago today actually:

https://fb.watch/7kYFw5UbM5/

Just now, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah, but compared to what it used to be in the zeitgeist/culture…it hasn’t been in a great place for 15+ years.

In the mainstream, perhaps, but there have been a huge amount of great rock bands I've come across in the past 15 20, 30 years. 

In short these articles read to me like "rock isn't on TV all the time anymore" and that's fine, but rock music is alive and well though. It's just not the preferred format of mainstream music. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

In the mainstream, perhaps, but there have been a huge amount of great rock bands I've come across in the past 15 20, 30 years. 

In short these articles read to me like "rock isn't on TV all the time anymore" and that's fine, but rock music is alive and well though. It's just not the preferred format of mainstream music. 

Yeah that’s true. I think it’s said a lot because people want it to make a comeback to at least be one of the preferred/popular genres again. Considering the recent things that have taken its place in the hierarchy of music..I can’t say I blame them.

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Not the first though....30 years ago today actually:

https://fb.watch/7kYFw5UbM5/

And he didn't say it was. He said: “It was one of the first real event releases,".

But yeah. Those were the days. 1991 was an amazing year in music. To me, my favourite (at least of the ones I was actively around for). Finally getting MTV and all those great albums that were dropped that year.

22 minutes ago, felixGNR said:

can you recommend some bands?

Any specific subgenres you're into? 

11 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah that’s true. I think it’s said a lot because people want it to make a comeback to at least be one of the preferred/popular genres again. Considering the recent things that have taken its place in the hierarchy of music..I can’t say I blame them.

I hear ya. I wish rock was at the forefront of everything too but it's just not right now. That's OK though, I still find plenty of it and I'm sure it'll return to the top of the heap one day. Plenty of room for everything out there :)

24 minutes ago, Mansin Humanity said:

shame, IDLES, Fontaines D.C., Post Animal, Kikagaku Moyu, Black Midi, Thee Oh Sees, Pond, Pottery, King Gizzard - most of the innovative and exciting new rock these days is in the post-punk or psych space. Pretty much every band that is hailed as the new rock-n-roll saviors are mad boring to me.

To be honest a lot of those bands you mention are incredibly boring to me- especially the first couple! I've never been so bored by bands as those two over-hyped acts!

You're totally right though- there's so much out there, for all tastes. 

12 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

To be honest a lot of those bands you mention are incredibly boring to me- especially the first couple! I've never been so bored by bands as those two over-hyped acts!

You're totally right though- there's so much out there, for all tastes. 

If I dish it out I gotta take it! I'll give you that IDLES' last album wasn't great, but agree to disagree on the others.

• Like 1

It depends. Rock as in 70s or 80s style is completely dead. It's outdated. Modern rock is still very popular, it tends to be more indie rock, or punk/post punk that are heavily in. 'Classic' rock isn't coming back in flavour or style. Bands like deep purple, acdc, van halen. times have changed too. songs about going out scoring chicks with the lads aren't a thing now. Plus there's too much choice. there'll never be another beatles, nirvana, GnR etc because the scene is so diluted and we are not fed what to like.

There's positives and negatives with that. No superstar bands, but lots of bands that would have never had any fans will do ok because of playlists or recommended bands/artists on streaming apps. I love classic rock, but when I hear a new band play classic rock, i'm bored as hell. I don't feel that way intentionally. Modern bands I like are more aggressive and relevant lyrically. Idles, Bob Vylan, fever 333. For me it's been the opposite, streaming has allowed me to discover artists I never knew about from the 70's 80s' 90s (i'm 31) like generation X, reel big fish, new york dolls, puddle of mud, johnny thunders etc 

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

And he didn't say it was. He said: “It was one of the first real event releases,".

But yeah. Those were the days. 1991 was an amazing year in music. To me, my favourite (at least of the ones I was actively around for). Finally getting MTV and all those great albums that were dropped that year.

I never said he didnt......seriously bro?

• Haha 1