This band is on f'n fire right now

• Tom-Ass changed the title to This band is on f'n fire right now

Watched a few videos on YouTube today. Band does sound good. I’ve always been more of an Axl guy than a Slash guy but I’ve come away from every reunion show I’ve been to (4 so far) more blown away by Slash and the band than Axl. I wonder if the change in energy is about new music. Guess we will find out soon. 

• Like 3

Compared to the previous leg they do sound much better without click and pyro now.

Saw a video of ISE from the last show and Axl was smiling and waving at the crowd all the time, good stuff. He does improve a little with every show as usual, but imo his singing still far from worth what they charge for tickets right now.

Still not too impressed with Slash yet, though he is less sloppy than before, it feels like the "it" somehow is still missing. I enjoy Richard's guitaring more at the moment, it's a shame he is so low in the mix and gets so few solos, he's really good.

Less going through the motions (or maybe just better acting), however, things are looking up a bit.

I didn't want to, but I think I'm gonna see them one more time when they come to Europe next year.

Edited by adamsapple

From what some people are saying it does seem an improvement....but of the two videos I've watched one of them was 'Deadhorse' which was absolutely dreadful, so I think we might be going a bit overboard with the praise just because this leg isn't as bad as we feared! 

There seem to be an awful lot of people slagging off these performances too, so I don't really know. I'm not watching crappy YouTube footage personally, so I imagine the truth lies somewhere in between? 

Slash has definitely been the driving force and I hope he's looking a lot less bored than he did on the last run. The break has maybe done him a lot of good. 

I’m really glad some people seem to be enjoying this tour. Personally, I can’t get enthused over the ‘new’ song and performances ranging from dreadful to merely decent.  I had no plans to see them in Europe in 2020 and this hasn’t changed my mind for 2022 (if these even happen).

• Like 2

I've been watcing more clips lately than the last few years but I'm not really impressed. I'm not trying to slag them off but Axl's singing is just not up to par and probably never will be again. Frank is awful, I just don't understand how he has managed to keep his position for 15 years. 

As far as Slash goes, I like him a lot, I think he's really eye-catching but I must admit I don't know what some people are raving about. Too much noodling for my taste. He may have been stoned out of his mind during their heyday but his playing back then was, in my opinion, far superior.

That being said, I still enjoy some of the videos and I wish the tour continues to go well.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

The band is definitely way tighter. I think the slower tempos have helped the songs find their groove again. While I've never had a problem with Frank, it seems like he's toned down his flourishes and extra fills so I feel like that also helps with the overall sound. I think that's probably a welcome change for those who considered his drumming a weak spot. Close your eyes when Jungle kicks off and it could easily be a UYI tour version.

The set list is better. Yes, it's mostly the same and I'd like to see those extra covers disappear forever considering how many actual GNR songs remain on the options list, but nevertheless I think the set is stronger. A lot of the fat has been trimmed so while I'm unable to attend a show this tour I feel like the pacing comes across better now.

Then there's Axl...

I'm not going to shit on him. He's clearly giving it his all and this tour is the most talkative and happy he's been in a long time, perhaps ever. It's long been a running joke on the forum but he is genuinely looking less bloated and cracking jokes. :lol:

I just really wish he'd reconsider his approach to some of the songs. No shame in being unable to do some of it anymore at his age.

YES!

Axl said last time about Absurd: "Even if you don't like the song, we're gonna play it anyway", or "see it isn't a spoon full of sugar":lol:

• Like 1

People talk about YouTube not being comparable to being at a gig, but the videos I've seen of the past couple of shows get me way more pumped than the actual gig I went to in Guadalajara in 2019. I'm actually considering seeing them again from watching these clips which is the opposite of how I felt after walking out of my last concert. Credit where credit is due.

• Like 1