UYI/Absurd Theory

If this has been mentioned before or not in the correct place remove/delete.

The 1st thing I thought when seeing the cover for the single Absurd was the style/font that was similar to the UYI era. Also the G’N’FN’R logo from the UYI era on the single cover.

Since this year is the 30th Anniversary of the double LP, do you all think there is a chance that their will be an anniversary edition and is Absurd linked to this. Or possible a UYI 3 & 4 along with re-release remastered  of UYU I & II…?

Since there is no promotion of any kind of release before the September 17th 2021 date (maybe dude to the pandemic) this is probably not be the case. But who knows….https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Guns+N+Roses+Absurd&client=safari&hl=en&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj6hIvtyrPyAhXihv0HHWWcDHwQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=326&bih=481&dpr=2#imgrc=9PxMaPd0f30xnM

No. Absurd was written 9 years after UYI was released by a completely different version of the band. More likely just continuity in fonts that they use. Hardschool has also been sound checked several times and is on the setlist. Who knows why they chose absurd or whether it's linked to a new album or a stand alone release or what. But it definitely has zero to do with UYI. 

I'm still wondering about this rumoured UYI Box set. All we have is wishful thinking from a couple of die hard Fans (plus the fact that an AfD Box set was released) 

We have zero evidence about such a release...

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

No. Absurd was written 9 years after UYI was released by a completely different version of the band. More likely just continuity in fonts that they use. Hardschool has also been sound checked several times and is on the setlist. Who knows why they chose absurd or whether it's linked to a new album or a stand alone release or what. But it definitely has zero to do with UYI. 

Yeah, I understand it was written later. Was just throwing out random scenarios. Since the style of the single art work is a lot like UYI era art work. So wondered if there is a clue of what’s coming up? 

Also, UYI had some pretty whacked songs, so making part 3 with Absurd featured feels like it could fit well. Just a thought….

23 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

I think it makes sense. I'd be shocked if they're doing a whole album, easier to just do UYI anniversary with a few new songs.

Wouldn't "new songs" on a UYI re-issue would be stuff like Ain't Goin' Down, Down On The Street & Beer And A Cigarette?

Beta saying Absurd "will be on the CD" indicates they're doing an album, or maybe an EP, but it doesn't have anything to do with a UYI anniversary.

• Like 2

Just now, Sosso said:

I'm still wondering about this rumoured UYI Box set. All we have is wishful thinking from a couple of die hard Fans (plus the fact that an AfD Box set was released) 

No, we know the record label has approached @troccoli about possible content and ideas, so it's at least being discussed as a potential release officially. 

Just now, allwaystired said:

No, we know the record label has approached @troccoli about possible content and ideas, so it's at least being discussed as a potential release officially. 

I think those plans were cancelled because of the poor AfD "Locked & Loaded" sales.

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

Wouldn't "new songs" on a UYI re-issue would be stuff like Ain't Goin' Down, Down On The Street & Beer And A Cigarette?

Beta saying Absurd "will be on the CD" indicates they're doing an album, or maybe an EP, but it doesn't have anything to do with a UYI anniversary.

Did she not say "on CD" rather than "on the CD"? I thought that was a strange thing to say, and did make me wonder if a re-issue of Chinese may be an option. 

Just now, Sosso said:

I think those plans were cancelled because of the poor AfD "Locked & Loaded" sales.

I haven't heard that - when did that surface? 

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I haven't heard that - when did that surface? 

That's just my observation. Why would they release other $1000 box Sets with the risk of selling half of them on discount? 

Edited by Sosso

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Did she not say "on CD" rather than "on the CD"? I thought that was a strange thing to say, and did make me wonder if a re-issue of Chinese may be an option. 

I don't know, I didn't save the screenshot, she might've said "part of the cd" or something like that. But it didn't seem like it was part of a reissue (plus Axl introduced it as a new song)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

She said it will be "part of the CD." See reliable translation here:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sosso said:

That's just my observation. Why would they release other $1000 box Sets with the risk of selling half of them on discount? 

What do you think the label’s cost per unit was for the stuff that was thrown into the box? Lithos, banners, buttons, etc?? They’re probably still making $ at 399 and they certainly made $ breaking open some boxes and releasing the vinyl. It’s just that they also capitalized on people buying them at the full price

Maybe a UYI reissue won’t be a 1k box, but there definitely will be a high priced option with a bunch of extra stuff if they do decide to release one. 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Beta is deranged/uninformed/stupid/dishonest enough to call a UYI anniversary disc a CD as if it's new.

Just now, Sosso said:

They'd be mad to release another $1000 set, but there's all sorts of other options. Reasonably priced with decent content it would do fine. 

I've not heard anything about it not happening, just that it was being officially looked at and there had been no further updates one way or the other. 

48 minutes ago, Sosso said:

14 minutes ago, surforia said:

Maybe they use the same font because the UYI version of the band has the same big 3 (after Izzy left) as there is right now, and that version of the partnership owns that font/logo?

But isn't that very font used also on the AFD cover (and other GnR stuff)?

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos
  • Like 1