Best show with Buckethead and 2000 lineup?

I've recently been watching bootlegs kinda cronologically (and reviewing them), right now I'm at the Buckethead era and I'm wondering about which show do you guys think was the best of this lineup. Axl's voice was mostly weak (it has a different kind of Mickey) but the lineup was cool and there was excitement in the air. HOB 2001 and Rio 2001 are classics, Leeds 2002 is pretty cool, Albany has a very interesting and long Axl rant about Slash and Duff and perhaps Bucket's best Nightrain solo. I haven't checked Boston, Chicago or New York MSG and I don't really want to watch all three if they're going to be very similar, which one's the best? Any good show I forgot to mention?

• Like 1

House of Blues 2001, Rock in Rio III, Leeds, Pukkelpop, Boston and MSG are all personal favourites of mine. Axl's voice is really clean, but you can tell there is power and control behind it.

Rock In Rio's performance of November Rain is the definitive version in my opinion.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, North Korean Democracy said:

I've recently been watching bootlegs kinda cronologically (and reviewing them), right now I'm at the Buckethead era and I'm wondering about which show do you guys think was the best of this lineup. Axl's voice was mostly weak (it has a different kind of Mickey) but the lineup was cool and there was excitement in the air. HOB 2001 and Rio 2001 are classics, Leeds 2002 is pretty cool, Albany has a very interesting and long Axl rant about Slash and Duff and perhaps Bucket's best Nightrain solo. I haven't checked Boston, Chicago or New York MSG and I don't really want to watch all three if they're going to be very similar, which one's the best? Any good show I forgot to mention?

Is there a video bootleg of MSG? Obviously MAG is the best of the tour. 

14 minutes ago, North Korean Democracy said:

My top3 shows from 2002 are Albany, MSG and Leeds. Boston is a cool bootleg (soundboard), but I don’t like that show too much.

5 hours ago, North Korean Democracy said:

Detroit 2002 was notable for a few reasons. One of which is a rare performance of Riad. 

Anothe thing of note is that the show was cut short due to a version of Patience that was so bad, it made Axl walk out on the show. 

Otherwise it was a standard 2002 level show, but those two things might make it noteworthy for review. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, North Korean Democracy said:

where can i watch those? :) send me a dm please

• GNFNR 1

As far as audio, I like the Pittsburgh 2002 one because Richard plays the best The Blues outro from all the versions, even the studio one. 

Video bootleg is a bit hard, because the quality is really bad in some of those bootlegs. I like the Docklands show, but the video is pretty much a Blair Witch Project remake. So I'd say the MSG show is the best performance overall, even if it's not as raw as Leeds (Patience in particular is awesome not just because Axl used the Google Maps to locate where Slash is).

• Like 2

Sadly I wasn't into GN'R back in the 2001-2002 era, so I never saw what would be considered my favorite lineup of Guns N' Roses. Axl, Brain, Robin and Bucket, I can't think of a cooler super group.

I've always noticed Axl didn't sound great during that time though. I do like his clean voice, it fits certain songs, but there's other songs where it's nice to have classic Axl rasp.

2006 was a big contrast from these shows, and 2010, even 2011 and 2012 he sounded pretty cool at times. 2016 to present, aside from AC/DC it seems to be inching closer to the 2002 Axl vocals.

I have no idea why, just my observations. Whatever he did in 2006, worked. He looked to be in great shape then too physically, which I'm sure helps. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

The Glasgow show was an absolute cracker. Oh hang on, no sorry... it cancelled and rescheduled like 5 times, that's right! I think it was around that then that I just gave up on GNR. Became kinda interested again around the period of the CD leaks, then sorta dropped off again until the NITL reunion. Have watched RiR2001 a few times and actually thought it was decent in parts. But REALLY don't understand why people get so excited about the handful of Buckethead gigs did with the band. They possibly played 4 or 5 original tracks and then rest was AFD heavy with everybody more or less playing exactly what was on the record? Have listened to a few BH solo albums and he's a helluva player for sure but for me... not in GNR. 

32 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

There's three on the north american leg of 2002 (?) that were released by some random label in a big pack, I think is Albany, Columbus and Cleveland maybe, can't really remember now... I really like those shows, I really like Boston 2002 and the two shows com 2001

Audio or video? I remember that "trilogy" 3-CD set, I think it was Tacoma, Cleveland and... Idaho?

10 hours ago, Evil Ash said:

Pukkelpop was my favourite, but because it was the only show I saw.

Is there any good audio from Pukkelpop out there?

I know there is a clip of Axl at Pukkelpop screaming "take it!" during Nightrain. It's probably the worst sound Axl ever made on stage.

If I recall it's also one of the few shows where they played Riad.

I was at the 12/29/01 show at the Joint in Vegas. I wrote about it at length awhile back in another thread. Couple of fun facts-

Axl was in the best shape physically that he has been in since the early 90s

One of only 4 shows to feature Silkworms until two weeks ago. 

Only the third show back since 1993. 

One of only four shows to feature Paul Huge Tobias on Rhythm guitar. 

One of only four shows in which Axl did not have corn rolls until 2009. 

One of only four shows to feature OMG.

Show had sound issues in the beginning that led to Axl leaving the stage and Robin slamming his guitar down. 

Bucket did his crazy nunchucks routine. 

Maybe not the best Buckethead era performance but it certainly was incredibly memorable. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

I know there is a clip of Axl at Pukkelpop screaming "take it!" during Nightrain. It's probably the worst sound Axl ever made on stage.

If I recall it's also one of the few shows where they played Riad.

Though, that Nightrain is one of the best versions of that song live. The energy is amazing.

• 1 month later...