Why is Don't Cry Alt Lyrics so much better than the original?

Original lyrics are far superior. I do like the line, "Times that you took in stride, they're back in demand."

Also: "And when you're in need of someone, my heart won't deny you. So many seem so lonely with no one left to cry to."

That is good stuff. Axl should have worked those lines into the original and only recorded one version.

Overall, the original has better flow.

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I seriously never listen to the original. I wish Axl would perform the alt lyrics version live. 

It goes to show how good lyrics make a song so much better. The original seriously pales in comparison. 

The bridge alone makes the entire case of the alt lyrics being superior. 

I've always chalked it up to Axl just being better at writing lyrics by the time he wrote the alt version. 

• Like 1

I have also always preferred the alt version.  Just like the lyrics better.

Anyone ever layer the two versions on top of each other, just for shits and giggles?  It's not really an ideal way to listen to it, but it's just kinda fun cause the music track is completely identical so you can basically try to hear two Axls competing with each other.

Drop me a line if you'd be interesting in hearing it, even though it's kind of pointless.

They can even be mashed up and still manage to make sense.

[Verse 1]
Talk to me softly, there's something in your eyes
Don't hang your head in sorrow and please don't cry
Times that you took in stride, they're back in demand
I was the one who was washing blood off your hands

[Verse 2]
I know the things you wanted, they're not what you have
With all the people talking, it's driving you mad
Don't you take it so hard now and please don't take it so bad
I'll still be thinking of you and the times we had, baby

[Verse 3]
And please remember that I never lied, oh
And please remember how I felt inside now, honey
And when you're in need of someone, my heart won't deny you
So many seem so lonely with no one left to cry to, baby

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

I seriously never listen to the original. I wish Axl would perform the alt lyrics version live. 

It goes to show how good lyrics make a song so much better. The original seriously pales in comparison. 

To answer your question in the title: because of the line: and when you're in need of someone my heart won't deny you, so many seem so lonely  but there's no one left to cry to baby!!! And the emotion, burden drama and load he puts in it with his voice bringing it like he goes through it himself that's why

Doesn't  have to do with the Alt version, but there's a live version on YouTube I thought would be cool to watch that has Shannon Hoon on background vocals. Less cool than you'd think since he completely overpowers Axl and the background singers add too much on top of it.

Edited by mystery

19 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

I grew up with the original lyrics so that's what I prefer now. 

Did Axl do alt lyrics for Absurd 😂 

Okay, that was good. haha

Listen Sister, Brothers to the song that should be heard
Always sink it with my putter, more than I deserve

Anyways, I like both versions, but having heard the original much longer before hearing the 2nd version, it's hard for the flow to not feel off here and there. I do love the lyrics in the 3rd verse, they are amazing.

• Like 1

I like both. Would love to hear the alt lyrics live. It’s insane that he put both versions out on the same album (I know technically it’s two albums but really it’s just one giant album) Have any other artist ever done this? Are there other iconic songs with alternate lyrics out there?!