Will it bother you if you already know half of the new album?

Will you be disappointed if you already know half the songs on the next GNR album?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, jbhutto said:

I think Absurd being loud was more of a style choice and is likely more of a one-off in that regard, at least we can hope.  Axl seems pretty in tune with how he wants an album to sound ( picking the CD master with the best dynamic range, that Brain story about Axl picking up on a small drum bit missing ).

Just guessing, I feel like we'll get 1/3 new/unheard stuff that is Slash heavy, 1/3 stuff we've already heard ( we're already close to that once Hard School drops ), and 1/3 unheard CD stuff.

I hope that's the case with axl choosing the best dynamic range version, I was just shocked at how absurd sounded. 

I'd be pretty disappointed if for the second time in their career GNR released an album with a bunch of songs that had already been widely leaked, albeit with a few new coats of overdubs from different players. I'd be horrified if all the band had to offer is leftover junk that didn't make it onto to the original CD album. 

On 8/19/2021 at 2:59 AM, Joraz said:

Imagine they release an EP called “The Village Democracy” then they release a full album of new songs called “Appetite for Illusions” or sumn like that. Itd be sick as hell. 

Appetite For Spaghetti is likely more apt at this point!!

• Like 1

I wouldn’t mind if those known songs from the Village were there. Because when you think about it, all we actually “know” is just 4 songs. The rest is either without vocals (so we can’t really say we know them) or previously heard stuff (Silkworms). Not counting Eye on You, which sounds nothing like GN'R (although I can imagine it could work if they reworked it properly and Slash added some sweet slow solos), we’re basically left just with HS, Atlas, SoG, and Perhaps. I don’t care about the “no vox” rest, it sounds mostly like some video game music to me, and I don’t think I gave a second listen to any of them. 
Again, throw in some material from the 80s/90s and a bunch of brand new songs – and all is fine. 

I haven't listened to any of the leaks.. Wasn't a fan of NuGnR or CD so those songs don't interest me in the slightest. . The thought of the band just covering NuGnR songs for an album doesn't even remotely interest me either.. A couple reworked songs sure, but I would rather an album consist mostly of their collaborations.  These guys released some of the greatest rock songs of all time.. The thought of Slash and Duff just covering other people's music for an album seems like such a waste..  And sad..

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I'd be pretty disappointed if for the second time in their career GNR released an album with a bunch of songs that had already been widely leaked, albeit with a few new coats of overdubs from different players. I'd be horrified if all the band had to offer is leftover junk that didn't make it onto to the original CD album. 

I don't think Axl excluded songs because they were "'junk". Scraped was on the fucking album, while he left off things like State Of Grace and Soul Monster. He had other reasons for what he put on CD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't think Axl excluded songs because they were "'junk". Scraped was on the fucking album, while he left off things like State Of Grace and Soul Monster. He had other reasons for what he put on CD.

Yeah okay fair enough, that's a reasonable call out! 

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother me knowing some of the songs, however I don't want another "copy and pasted parts from across decades" album - I want a real rock and roll band rhythm section going in and feeding off each other's musicianship and recording organic basic tracks live for everyone else to add to.  I don't even care if that means Axl sounding not as sharp as his older vocal takes, I just think that all the songs could benefit from a fresh take started by the people actually in the band

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I haven't listened to any of the leaks.. Wasn't a fan of NuGnR or CD so those songs don't interest me in the slightest. . The thought of the band just covering NuGnR songs for an album doesn't even remotely interest me either.. A couple reworked songs sure, but I would rather an album consist mostly of their collaborations.  These guys released some of the greatest rock songs of all time.. The thought of Slash and Duff just covering other people's music for an album seems like such a waste..  And sad..

I hear that, but reality is reworked CD stuff is a high possibility. At the start of the reunion, If someone were to say in 2016, there would be no new music until 2021 and they'd continue touring though, I would have said that's ridiculous.  On top of that, if someone were to say at the reunion, their new song would be a remake of Silkworms, the forum would have laughed sooooo hard. My point, old school fans who aren't into CD era stuff, may need to temper their expectations as if history is anything to go by, we'll be getting rehashed stuff. And I can see why people would be disappointed in that as the talent is too good to be wasted on playing on other people's songs. 

Edited by jimisbatman
  • Like 1

It's not a given that Slash will just cover guitar parts written by others. He didn't do that on Absurd, which was written on synthesizer. Two of the other songs that will probably be on the album, Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps, sound like they were mostly or entirely written by Axl, so there wouldn't be a problem. Hardschool (the main idea of it) very likely predates the CD era, and it's not unlikely that a couple of the instrumentals were developed from earlier ideas.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 2:23 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’m a huge fan of the CD era, and Eye on You is probably the only song that I think is completely garbage. It would be kinda funny as a joke but it’s more of a rap song than a rock song. Maybe you could take the main “eye on you” line and write some lyrics in between them with a riff, but at that point it’s a different song.

Eye on you a “rap” song. Jesus Christ. The amount of morons on this forum continues to astound.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nintari said:

I heard about half the CD songs before they released, and I ended up not liking the experience. This time, if they do release another record, I'm going in like Frank Costanza: fresh.

So you haven't listened to the leaks?

I haven't spent nearly as much time with the leaks as I did the pre-Chinese Democracy leaks so everything is going to be fairly fresh for me regardless. Initially I was more into the idea of a handful of leaks reworked in addition to some brand new songs with the current line-up, but honestly I'll take an album in whatever form it may end up coming in. Absurd proved to me what a difference even a throwaway track has when Slash and Duff play on it, so I'm more than happy to hear what they add to others as well. Hopefully a few new ones thrown in for good measure.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, Blackstar said:

It's not a given that Slash will just cover guitar parts written by others. He didn't do that on Absurd, which was written on synthesizer. Two of the other songs that will probably be on the album, Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps, sound like they were mostly or entirely written by Axl, so there wouldn't be a problem. Hardschool (the main idea of it) very likely predates the CD era, and it's not unlikely that a couple of the instrumentals were developed from earlier ideas.

This is a longshot, but if what Sebastian Bach said about The General being a sequel to Estranged is true (If i recall that correctly...), then it may show up on a new album too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

This is a longshot, but if what Sebastian Bach said about The General being a sequel to Estranged is true (If i recall that correctly...), then it may show up on a new album too.

If the album is released, I hope its on there so we can finally put it to rest. That's been the most hyped fan song for ages.

26 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

That's been the most hyped fan song for ages.

What a let down Atlas Shrugged was after hearing the hype over it on here. Just goes to show you never really know if you will like a song and want to listen to it until you hear it, no matter what "info" you have about it.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What a let down Atlas Shrugged was after hearing the hype over it on here. Just goes to show you never really know if you will like a song and want to listen to it until you hear it, no matter what "info" you have about it.

Yeah that's true about songs not meeting expectations. I felt that way about the CD album being bloated w/ constant tinkering and had an affinity with the demo's. 

4 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

If the album is released, I hope its on there so we can finally put it to rest. That's been the most hyped fan song for ages.

The orchestral intro from 2006 till 2011 they used is like sinister James bond vibe strings, I can't see how the song can be a let down with those strings. 

• GNFNR 1