Songs not played

2 minutes ago, mystery said:

I just find it odd that the band doesn't play certain songs that they released as singles. Stuff like Sympathy for the Devil, Since I Don't Have You, Ain't it Fun, Oh My God etc.

I think in the case of Sympathy For The Devil it's obvious why.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think in the case of Sympathy For The Devil it's obvious why.

I don't think Slash ever had a problem recording that song; just that Axl had Paul Tobias record over his guitar parts. Its just odd to me because people bought that as a single and probably the soundtrack album in 1995 to hear Guns n Roses. Same with Oh My God in 1999. I give them credit for Dead Horse and Locomotive which no one probably thought they'd ever play again but I feel like they ignore way too much of their history. 

11 minutes ago, mystery said:

I don't think Slash ever had a problem recording that song; just that Axl had Paul Tobias record over his guitar parts. Its just odd to me because people bought that as a single and probably the soundtrack album in 1995 to hear Guns n Roses. Same with Oh My God in 1999. I give them credit for Dead Horse and Locomotive which no one probably thought they'd ever play again but I feel like they ignore way too much of their history. 

Slash did say that he had a problem recording it in the first place (because he didn't like the movie). According to his side of things (we don't have Axl's) he did it reluctantly only as a way to get the band back together in the studio, which didn't happen, then he was pissed off because Axl asked him to re-record the solo so that it would be more faithful to Keith Richards' original, and then the Paul Tobias thing, hence "the sound of a band breaking up."

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash did say that he had a problem recording it in the first place (because he didn't like the movie). According to his side of things (we don't have Axl's) he did it reluctantly only as a way to get the band back together in the studio, which didn't happen, Axl asked him to re-record the solo so that it would be more faithful to Keith Richards' original, and then the Paul Tobias thing, hence "the sound of a band breaking up."

I think it could be water under the bridge at this point. I can see them pulling it off with Axl singing and Duff on backing vocals. Let Slash run wild with whatever solo he wants.

Edit: I like Slash but so many of his positions in that era limited Guns in their success and potential. Hate Axl all you want, but his decisions then are why they're still one of the most popular rock bands out there. There's an ambition that Axl had that went beyond straight hard rock that attracted a diverse crowd that still supports them today.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, mystery said:

I think it could be water under the bridge at this point. I can see them pulling it off with Axl singing and Duff on backing vocals. Let Slash run wild with whatever solo he wants.

Edit: I like Slash but so many of his positions in that era limited Guns in their success and potential. Hate Axl all you want, but his decisions then are why they're still one of the most popular rock bands out there. There's an ambition that Axl had that went beyond straight hard rock that attracted a diverse crowd that still supports them today.

thats true, slash  even say that the piano songs was a bad thing, i mean the fucking november rain make slash iconic with the chapel solo, 

1 minute ago, darkside259 said:

thats true, slash  even say that the piano songs was a bad thing, i mean the fucking november rain make slash iconic with the chapel solo, 

He was insistent on having Guns be a strictly hard rock band but Don't Cry, November Rain, and Live and Let Die gave them such massive appeal. The videos for Don't Cry and NR still hold up 30 years later. If I was a young kid I'd be transfixed by those videos. Axl really should've continued his ambition to the Chinese Democracy era. So many of those songs would be elevated by good concept videos and 13 years on you'd have a new generation that got hooked with Chinese Democracy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Oh well, Back Off Bitch is my most disliked song on UYI's - all the classic era, actually :lol:

I feel similar with Bad Obsession :lol:, though I liked it once.

Steven Adler and Izzy doing great during the intro of Back Off Bitch and Slash's awesome guitar solo and the combination of his leads and Axls high voice makes it impossible for me to dislike this song.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

I feel similar with Bad Obsession :lol:, though I liked it once.

Steven Adler and Izzy doing great during the intro of Back Off Bitch and Slash's awesome guitar solo and the combination of his leads and Axls high voice makes it impossible for me to dislike this song.

What won me over with Back Off Bitch was a live version I saw from 1986. Absolutely badass live.

• Like 2

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's missing the Izzy intro from the album. The song itself is only okay, but that intro is a stroke of genius, maybe my favourite next to WTTJ.

I first saw the live version a while back but I know exactly what you mean with the intro. Didn't know that was Izzy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's missing the Izzy intro from the album. The song itself is only okay, but that intro is a stroke of genius, maybe my favourite next to WTTJ.

100% with you... if I had to show someone GNR who never heard them and only have a few seconds time, I'd play the Back Off Bitch intro

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There aren't really many good ones left that could realistically be introduced in the set now.

Excluding those that won't be played for obvious reasons (like OIAM and others that have never been performed anyway like GITR, My World, SFTD, etc.), those that would be pointless or cringe to be brought back now (like Anything Goes, Mama Kin, Back Off Bitch), and those that would be impossible for Axl to sing (Don't Damn Me - which has never been played live anyway, Garden Of Eden, etc.), then the ones left that could be played are:

AFD: Think About You.

Lies: Move To The City.

UYI I & II: Dust N' Bones, Bad Obsession, The Garden, Bad Apples, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Don't Cry alt. Maybe also Right Next Door To Hell and Perfect Crime, but they'd probably be hard for Axl to sing. 14 Years and You Ain't The First would need Izzy.

TSI: Down On The Farm - and maybe Ain't It Fun and Since I Don't Have You, although they have never been played.

CD: Only Street Of Dreams.

Yeah, Better should go (and should've been gone for a long time) and be replaced by any of the above, or another CD song from the current alt setlist, or, hopefully, Hardschool.

Dunno - I think Duff could do vocals on this (and think he has in his solo career or maybe Dust N Bones…).

Aside from that…..there is loads in the list you noted they could add here and there. And let’s not forget they could add more new tracks!

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I really like what Izzy play but to me the drums are even more important on that intro. I just love 'em. But the studio version as it is, is awesome of course and better than just Adler's drumming.

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Dunno - I think Duff could do vocals on this (and think he has in his solo career or maybe Dust N Bones…).

Aside from that…..there is loads in the list you noted they could add here and there. And let’s not forget they could add more new tracks!

I think Duff did Dust N' Bones, yes. I don't remember anything about 14 years.

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Duff did Dust N' Bones, yes. I don't remember anything about 14 years.

According to setlist.com Duff hasn’t done it. But I reckon he could easily do it…I’d be cool with it as opposed to never hearing it again!

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

According to setlist.com Duff hasn’t done it. But I reckon he could easily do it…I’d be cool with it as opposed to never hearing it again!

Yes, he could. But I mainly meant it in regards to it being a personal song for Izzy, Axl and their relationship.

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, he could. But I mainly meant it in regards to it being a personal song for Izzy, Axl and their relationship.

True enough - I had thought that it had been performed without Izzy but on the 7 or so occasions it was played after 91 it’s when Izzy guested. Maybe Izzy could rock up randomly one of these days and it’ll get an airing then…it could happen…🤣

Sidenote - on checking setlist.com I noted the gig in Saint Tropez….Izzy played about 2/3 of the set!

• Like 1