DJ Ashba was approached to join the NITL Tour

"Axl called me and he really wanted me a part of the reunion, and I turned it down," Ashba said. "I felt if Slash is coming back, that's great — that's what the fans want, and I can go off and do what I really wanna do now… And we left [off on good terms]; everything is good. And I couldn't be happier for the fans out there. I'm a fan. Half of the band reunited, which excites me, but at the same time, it's the best of both worlds — I get to do what I really love to do, and that's play in SIXX:A.M."

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dj-ashba-on-his-exit-from-guns-n-roses-that-was-a-chapter-in-my-life-and-im-starting-a-new-chapter/

I still don't know what to think about that quote. Part of me is just laughing at it as a Bad joke but Axl has done crazier things in his life. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 2

• Sosso changed the title to DJ Ashba was approached to join the NITL Tour

From user jujuhounds on the Hoffman forums: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/guns-n-roses-tour-has-earned-230-million-and-still-going-stong.667760/page-9#post-17091617

"As for Dj Ashba....after the 2014 Las Vegas residency, the band was told to go find other work while Axl put the finishing touches on the album and submitted it to the label. The original plan was submit album in 2014, release album in 2015, tour in 2016. By the end of 2014, Guns had been touring pretty much non-stop since December of 2009. It was time for them to take a small break and let public demand build back up. During this time, Nikki Sixx approached Dj and offered him a choice. Quit Guns N' Roses and record a double album with Sixx: A.M. and go on a 2 year world tour OR stay in GN'R, quit Sixx: A.M. and have an uncertain future. While Dj had talked **** about Nikki to Axl, Ashba ended up choosing the guaranteed album/tour deal. He had a PR company draft up that letter and well, the rest is pretty much open.

• Like 4

This was already mentioned back in 2016 :) 

It seems like its working out well for everyone. Did you know that the GNR reunion was going to happen this year?

Absolutely. In fact, Axl wanted me to be a part of it. I couldn’t be more happy for it happening. I was stoked to find out about it, people have got to remember, If I wasn’t a fan of the band, I wouldn’t have joined the band. I have great admiration for Axl, Slash and Duff and, Steven, Izzy and everybodys put into that thing. I have even more respect now after playing in the band for so many years. I couldn’t be more happy, I’m just a biggest fan as I’ve always been, I’m so happy for the fans that they get to go out there and see at least half of the band reunited, its a big deal. This is what the fans have been wanting, me included in that. I just didnt feel like it was my place. If Slash has come back, I couldnt be more happy, this is great. At that point, its best I go do what I’m really good at doing. Its kind of the best of both worlds, I get to have my favorite band back and I get to go play in my favorite band again. Its a win win.

https://metalinsider.net/interviews/sixxa-m-s-dj-ashba-talks-new-album-guns-n-roses-reunion

5 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

From user jujuhounds on the Hoffman forums: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/guns-n-roses-tour-has-earned-230-million-and-still-going-stong.667760/page-9#post-17091617

"As for Dj Ashba....after the 2014 Las Vegas residency, the band was told to go find other work while Axl put the finishing touches on the album and submitted it to the label. The original plan was submit album in 2014, release album in 2015, tour in 2016. By the end of 2014, Guns had been touring pretty much non-stop since December of 2009. It was time for them to take a small break and let public demand build back up. During this time, Nikki Sixx approached Dj and offered him a choice. Quit Guns N' Roses and record a double album with Sixx: A.M. and go on a 2 year world tour OR stay in GN'R, quit Sixx: A.M. and have an uncertain future. While Dj had talked **** about Nikki to Axl, Ashba ended up choosing the guaranteed album/tour deal. He had a PR company draft up that letter and well, the rest is pretty much open.

Although it sounds plausible, I wouldn't trust that user's information.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I believe it because @downzy said he was in contact with the GNR camp in July 2015, that Axl and Pitman were working on the album every day, that DJ leaving had absolutely nothing to do with a reunion, and (I believe) he said that there was still negativity towards Slash at that point, so there weren't even any reunion talks going on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

DJ would have been off to the side, behind a curtain, playing.  I don't really think this was actually true though that he was offered a spot unless it was in place of 4tus.

Maybe Axl wanted him to play some of Robin's solos? That's just pure speculation from me. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That user buys AshbaWater (seriously) so they are very pro-Ashba.

However that person is well connected (to other fans) and was part of the locker leaks deal.

They are banned from here so we can't really discuss.

16 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I believe it because @downzy said he was in contact with the GNR camp in July 2015, that Axl and Pitman were working on the album every day, that DJ leaving had absolutely nothing to do with a reunion, and (I believe) he said that there was still negativity towards Slash at that point, so there weren't even any reunion talks going on.

Yes, it's possible that Ashba's quitting didn't have to do with the reunion. But, about the rest, and considering who that user is and the other stuff he says in that post...

As for the negativity towards Slash then, it doesn't mean that there were no negotiations. But maybe the negotiations were in the beginning, and since it wasn't the first time there were negotiations for a reunion, TB thought it would be no different this time, so it was still "business as usual".

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

That user buys AshbaWater (seriously) so they are very pro-Ashba.

However that person is well connected (to other fans) and was part of the locker leaks deal.

They are banned from here so we can't really discuss.

Yeah, I know...

Sometimes the fates align and things work out they need to lol.  I just think that with Slash in the group there is no need for three guitarists - I always perferred the one-two punch of two guitars on stage.  I remember the shows I saw in 2011-2012 being unable to distinguish the wall of guitar sounds from each other whereas in the 2016 shows I caught I could pick apart each guitar part anytime

If this was indeed true, it sounds like Axl wanted initially for Slash to be a BBF replacement in his version of the band or something lol, and maybe BBF, DJ, and Tommy all leaving at once kind of forced his hand to make it a bit more of a full on traditional reunion/regrouping thing

Plus Slash next to DJ Ashba in his GNR stage attire on the same stage would be like a "Dr. Evil and Mini-Me" thing going on

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Idk I can't belive that it's true, and even if it is Slash would've shut that down immediately had DJ accepted and showed up at rehearsal.

I doubt that. Slash went along with Frank over Matt/Steven, Richard over Izzy, Melissa being in etc . He knew that hundreds of millions were on the line. He wasn't walking away from that over Ashba. Axl calls the shots. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

If this was indeed true, it sounds like Axl wanted initially for Slash to be a BBF replacement in his version of the band, and maybe BBF, DJ, and Tommy all leaving at once kind of forced his hand to make it a bit more of a full on traditional reunion/regrouping thing

The "original" NITL line-up would have been Axl, Slash, Richard, DJ, Duff, Frank, Dizzy and Chris. 

DJ declined and Chris was fired. 

28 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

There had to be reunion talks. The first show was in January. I doubt that all came together with multimillion dollar contracts in five months. It probably started as soon as Axl and Slash started talking again.

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Idk I can't belive that it's true, and even if it is Slash would've shut that down immediately had DJ accepted and showed up at rehearsal.

He played on Silkworms. I think Slash would play with Paul Tobias at this point.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

Part of me wonders if Axl wanted to piss Slash off to the point that it didn’t happen. I think Axl still has that destructive personality and would have been right at home if the reunion blew up because Slash didn’t agree with Axl. But I also think Slash understood that this was possible and just said “screw it we’ll do it your way, once we get it on stage together you’re going to love me”

16 minutes ago, Subtle Signs said:

There had to be reunion talks. The first show was in January. I doubt that all came together with multimillion dollar contracts in five months. It probably started as soon as Axl and Slash started talking again.

No, the rehearsals started in january.

The shows started three months later. 

Pitman was probably fired because he didn't get along with Slash and Duff, and then he bitched because only Axl's, Slash's and Duff's name were included in the reunion announcement, and his name wasn't.

So Slash and Duff didn't exactly join NuGnR. Slash had some leverage and I don't think he would accept Ashba.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Sosso said:

No, the rehearsals started in january.

The shows started three months later. 

I've been gnr-educated(tm) and rightly so. I meant that Coachella was announced in January. Either way I doubt GnR had plans in July that gave way to a Coachella announcement in January. But who knows.