DJ Ashba was approached to join the NITL Tour

53 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Axl didn't want to have three guitarists before Slash left in the same way he had them in NuGnR; it seems he had thought of that as a solution to the Gilby/Paul situation (one for the studio and the other for the tour). And NuGnR started as a two guitar band. The three guitar thing was not planned. Axl replaced Finck with Buckethead, but then Finck returned and Axl didn't want to lose any of them, so it turned into a three guitar band.

I thought axl wanted 3 guitarists in GNR. 

http://www.alternativenation.net/axl-rose-bizarre-plan-three-guitarists-slash-guns-n-roses-revealed/

4 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I believe it because @downzy said he was in contact with the GNR camp in July 2015, that Axl and Pitman were working on the album every day, that DJ leaving had absolutely nothing to do with a reunion, and (I believe) he said that there was still negativity towards Slash at that point, so there weren't even any reunion talks going on.

I’m not sure if there were absolutely no reunion talks at that point. It is at all possible Axl and Slash were getting reacquainted and some ideas were being thrown around. But nothing in earnest or with urgency until August of that year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimisbatman said:

I think Gilby meant what I wrote above, but he didn't like the idea of him being sidelined in the writing process and being kept only as a side/tour guy.

Doug Goldstein said this back in 2000 (and I believe he was speaking on behalf of Axl then):

Goldstein: [...] We were able to find Gilby Clarke. Gilby toured with us to complete the "Illusions" tour. Shortly thereafter Axl and Gilby spoke about what Axl wanted to try next. After Izzy's departure Axl felt Guns could use a little help in the writing department. Axl thought the addition of another guitar player (#3) would help the situation. Unhappy with this, Gilby stated "I don't want to be in Molly Hatchet" and quit.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4667-2000-01-06-newsweek-letter-from-doug-goldstein

Given that the writer would be Paul Tobias (who wouldn't tour), Gilby would be for the tour, but probably didn't get that (and who can blame him - I can imagine how difficult it is to follow Axl's thought process). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Gilby meant what I wrote above, but he didn't like the idea of him being sidelined in the writing process and being kept only as a side/tour guy.

Doug Goldstein said this back in 2000 (and I believe he was speaking on behalf of Axl then):

Goldstein: [...] We were able to find Gilby Clarke. Gilby toured with us to complete the "Illusions" tour. Shortly thereafter Axl and Gilby spoke about what Axl wanted to try next. After Izzy's departure Axl felt Guns could use a little help in the writing department. Axl thought the addition of another guitar player (#3) would help the situation. Unhappy with this, Gilby stated "I don't want to be in Molly Hatchet" and quit.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4667-2000-01-06-newsweek-letter-from-doug-goldstein

Given that the writer would be Paul Tobias (who wouldn't tour), Gilby would be for the tour, but probably didn't get that (and who can blame him - I can imagine how difficult it is to follow Axl's thought process). 

That makes sense, I didn't see it that way. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, downzy said:

I’m not sure if there were absolutely no reunion talks at that point. It is at all possible Axl and Slash were getting reacquainted and some ideas were being thrown around. But nothing in earnest or with urgency until August of that year.

Well, before the Axl/Slash phone call of March 2015, you have both GnR's "Appetite For Democracy" and Slash's "Live At The Roxy" releases, which according to Marc Canter they signed each other's in 2014 (citing an old post from @Blackstar from 2019 that has the actual quote). So things were slooowly going in that direction even as early as 2014.

It's also quite amazing how in May 2015 (2 months after the phone call), Slash started with these kind of comments, slowly paving the way to the reunion. And we weren't aware of anything back then :D 

"[Rose and I] haven't really talked in a long time. But a lot of the tension that you were talking about has dissipated," Slash said. "We don't have all those issues anymore. There's not a lot of controversy. It's something that's more perpetuated by the media than anything."

Slash, CBS, May 2015

And in August 2015, Slash had that weird interview with Aftonbladet where the interviewer "magically" knew that Axl and Slash were on speaking terms again (or Slash mentioning it without anyone asking) :D Literally out of nowhere.

Speaking to Aftonbladet TV in Sweden, where Slash was making a special appearance on Friday (August 21) for a launch event for the Marshall London phone, the guitarist said of his restored relationship with Axl: "It was probably way overdue, you know. But it's…. you know, it's very cool at this point. You know, let some of that, sort of, negative… dispel some of that negative stuff that was going on for so long."

Slash, Aftonbladet, August 2015

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Pitman was probably fired because he didn't get along with Slash and Duff, and then he bitched because only Axl's, Slash's and Duff's name were included in the reunion announcement, and his name wasn't.

So Slash and Duff didn't exactly join NuGnR. Slash had some leverage and I don't think he would accept Ashba.

I always felt like Pitman self-sabotaged on purpose. He wanted out so he put some shit on social media to get fired. Then he could proceed with a lawsuit about past money owed. That’s a better case in court if you were let go rather than still working there

6 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

I always felt like Pitman self-sabotaged on purpose. He wanted out so he put some shit on social media to get fired. Then he could proceed with a lawsuit about past money owed. That’s a better case in court if you were let go rather than still working there

That's possible, I guess. But then again, at first he was tweeting all happy about Coachella, and then he said that he was told by management to not tweet about Coachella. So it looks like something had already been going on behind the scenes (there were rumours about an incident with Duff at rehearsals, but we'll never know if there was any truth to them).

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I have a hard time with Fortus in the band with his showboating etc, no way I could've been ok with DJ.

Lmao all that showboating from Richard. Then you watch footage of his solos and it’s all for naught. The guy recording never moved his camera off Slash strumming the same chord for 2mins😂

54 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Lmao all that showboating from Richard. Then you watch footage of his solos and it’s all for naught. The guy recording never moved his camera off Slash strumming the same chord for 2mins😂

I kinda thought the same about Richard at first. After watching some of his interviews, he comes off as a really nice, humble guy. He's an amazing guitarist and I give him a lot of props for playing great on the old stuff and backing up Slash. He would be a phenomenal lead player in his own band. I think the flinging the guitar stuff around and all that is just him having some fun. The average fan digs it.

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

Of all the links the mods haven't immediately taken down. God damn it.

It's also amazing that they managed to track down every single Ashba fan for that video.

Hmm imagine 2013 era gnr doing this, axl in full mickey, some pitman sub bass, bumblefoot doing a fretless tapping killswitch solo. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sosso said:

The "original" NITL line-up would have been Axl, Slash, Richard, DJ, Duff, Frank, Dizzy and Chris. 

DJ declined and Chris was fired. 

That is a situation not worth thinking about!

I did always find it weird that Ashba said he was invited for NITL. I don't disbelieve his story but I just couldn't imagine it happening. As some other users here have pointed out, it could be a matter of Ashba reading the room. Having said that, as much as I believe he is sincere the fact that he got a PR company to write his letter was the final nail in the truly cringeworthy Ashba/GN'R coffin for me.

• Like 1