DJ Ashba was approached to join the NITL Tour

42 minutes ago, 中国民主 said:

Many people still ridiculing Ashba for allegedly fucking up the SCOM intro, wow. 

Now listen up, you philistines. There were no mistakes in this performance, it was PERFECT. Ashba was waaaay ahead of his time and created a sophisticated microtonal intro to this legendary song that no one can replicate to this day. He was genius back then and still is today as you can easily hear in his recent masterpiece "Let's Dance". 

In his whole career, there was never even one single bend that sounded off, ever. Whoever says something else, hates humans and animals as well.

At the Golden Gods show?

I actually felt sorry for him at this, it's clearly the fault of his tech not tuning the guitar properly. However, was a shitshow of a performance anyway so...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Does anyone remember when we had that studio interview in 2009 when the band was rehearsing and you can clearly hear Ashba actually (trying to) playing that full SCOM solo?

When I'm sad I like to remember that solo just to laugh a bit. ^_^

Gps me in the general direction of finding this. News to me but damn, that sounds SO Ashba. 

46 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

Gps me in the general direction of finding this. News to me but damn, that sounds SO Ashba. 

Oh, I have no clue. Tried to search for it on YouTube, but didn't find anything. But you're not missing anything, really.

It was like an interview with the sound guys, and we could hear a bit of the instrumental version of SCOM. It was supposed to be something for the mid-2009 tour with Van Halen, I guess, which obviously didn't happen.

12 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Oh man that was awful. I’m embarrassed for the singer James Michael who I like

Yeah, musically, the vocals are honestly the worst part. They’re a weird mix of  cringe and infuriating that make me want to punch a wall. 

• Haha 1

I've commented on those Ashba singles elsewhere, but here we go again. They are awful, but I'd be willing to accept them as noble failures if I thought DJ actually had attachment to this type of music or a passion to make it. It seemed like this whole "embrace" of EDM was yet another callous calculation he made because he assumed that was where he could find money and attention. Over his career, he's played the roles of guitar shredder (his early instrumental album), hard rock dude (Beautiful Creatures/Guns n' Roses), and glam rock/ hair metal dude (his work with Sixx A.M. and Bullet Boys); none of which I would say he performed particularly well. I'd be honestly interested to discover what he considers his "true" musical interests as opposed to the song posted above. 

To be fair, I do not think he's the absolute terrible bottom of the barrel guitarist people make him out to be. I just think of Slash's comments on Paul Tobias when I think of DJ. He seems like a dude who can kind of sort of play guitar, but has no unique style or anything interesting to say on the instrument. From his own interviews, it seems he thinks of himself as a songwriter (and entrepreneur) more than a guitarist. 

In regards to the NITL tour, I'd take just about anything he says with a grain of salt. I'm sure Axl provided him the opportunity to poke his head in and out of various shows like Steven did (although I imagine it would have been more often than Steven's appearances), but I doubt he would have been up there with Richard and Slash the whole show. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs

Going by Ashba's interviews until the time he announced he was quitting, by October 2014 he hadn't played on "CD2" or any other material Axl had before he joined.

Considering that no one (other than Pitman, probably) seems to have been involved with whatever Axl was doing in the studio after the end of 2014, it's safe to say that Axl didn't have Ashba play on anything from the vault, and he wasn't going to use any of Ashba's new songs either.

• Like 2

I know that Chris has not the best reputation among the fans but it means something when he was the only guy who was able to work with Axl (and Caram) in the studio. Which makes me wonder why Axl let him go so easily back in 2016. 

Edited by Sosso

41 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

He’s just chasing trends and is years behind this one

Songs are junk. I liked Sixx AM and DJ as a teenager but then I grew out of that, luckily. He is a total hack IMO. 

I liked Sixx AM when I was in high school too but then I realized that most of it was really not all that great. Although apparently DJ was involved with that last Motley Crue album and there were some cool songs on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I liked Sixx AM when I was in high school too but then I realized that most of it was really not all that great. Although apparently DJ was involved with that last Motley Crue album and there were some cool songs on that.

SIXX:AM was good but I liked the first Brides of Destruction album much more. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I know that Chris has not the best reputation among the fans but it means something when he was the only guy who was able to work with Axl (and Caram) in the studio. Which makes me wonder why Axl let him go so easily back in 2016. 

I think it's simple.

Axl made a decision to reunite with Slash and Duff, which he had every right to make, since it was his band. As far as the NuGnR members that were still there, including Pitman, Axl did his part and kept them in the band. He didn't throw anyone out, but he also wouldn't let anyone fuck it up for him.

Pitman's part was to respect Axl's decision and behave accordingly, and apparently he didn't do that.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I wish we got CD1 in 2006 and CD2 in 2008

I would have been happy with that, then CD3 in 2012.

My ideal alt reality would be CD1 in 1999, CD2 in 2004 with Buckethead, CD3 with Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba sometime after, then an actual new album with NITL.

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Going by Ashba's interviews until the time he announced he was quitting, by October 2014 he hadn't played on "CD2" or any other material Axl had before he joined.

Considering that no one (other than Pitman, probably) seems to have been involved with whatever Axl was doing in the studio after the end of 2014, it's safe to say that Axl didn't have Ashba play on anything from the vault, and he wasn't going to use any of Ashba's new songs either.

Didn't Ashba play on the piano version of Better that leaked? We also got studio leaks of his two guitar solos he would play during the 2011 and 2012 shows. (And probably other years, that's just when I saw them)

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

Didn't Ashba play on the piano version of Better that leaked? We also got studio leaks of his two guitar solos he would play during the 2011 and 2012 shows. (And probably other years, that's just when I saw them)

That was just a remix and not comparable to the actual sequel albums 

Edit: I always thought the Going Down Version only Featured Bumble and not DJ

Edited by Sosso

Just now, Sweersa said:

Yes, I forgot about those. I went by this quote from October 2014, where he seemed to say that he hadn't done any work:

Ashba: ... Axl, of course, has, I believe, two complete albums worth of songs already recorded and probably a shit-load of other stuff I’ve never heard. He’s played me quite a bit of stuff that’s phenomenal, and, hopefully, I can get my hands on it and put my little stamp on it, before all is said and done [Guitar International, October 2014]

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sosso said:

That was just a remix and not comparable to the actual sequel albums 

Edit: I always thought the Going Down Version only Featured Bumble and not DJ

Yes, that is true. It has been said that CD2 as it was in 2009-2014 didn't have DJ on it, it was like CD in 2008 which was Robin and Bucket heavy, with Bumblefoot on some of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah, musically, the vocals are honestly the worst part. They’re a weird mix of  cringe and infuriating that make me want to punch a wall. 

Sorry that’s not what I meant. It’s not the vocals that bother me. I’m embarrassed for James for lending himself to this Uber shit song from DJ

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I would have been happy with that, then CD3 in 2012.

My ideal alt reality would be CD1 in 1999, CD2 in 2004 with Buckethead, CD3 with Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba sometime after, then an actual new album with NITL.

My ideal would’ve been CD 1,2&3 between 

99-04, maybe stretched out to early 06 pre-Bumble

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 4