DJ Ashba was approached to join the NITL Tour

38 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I would have been happy with that, then CD3 in 2012.

My ideal alt reality would be CD1 in 1999, CD2 in 2004 with Buckethead, CD3 with Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba sometime after, then an actual new album with NITL.

My ideal would’ve been CD 1,2&3 between 

99-04, maybe stretched out to early 06 pre-Bumble

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

My ideal would’ve been CD 1,2&3 between 

99-04

That would be absolutely amazing, especially after listening to the Village leaks. A number of those instrumentals with Axl on vocals would have been top tier tracks. Maybe we will hear a few or more on the next album. :)

• Like 1

That Let's Dance song wouldn't be so bad*, if it wasn't for the fact that Ashba is just a hit chaser. Whatever he thinks sells, he slaps his name on it. I bet he uses words like "target audience" and "demographic". Yuck!

And I do acknowledge that you have to be business savvy when you're a musician, but with Ashba it feels like he is a businessman first and a musician... third. Like when he started that solo project, he put out a press release first and a single like a month after.

I used to like him and I still think his early Sixx A.M. work was and still is cool, but other than that... hard pass on the guy.

*It still would be bad and cringey as hell. There's this Japanese musician, Miyavi, who does this kind of "rock meets pop meets dance" music and it actually sounds really banging, so I'm not trashing on the genre. 

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1

I have no idea if Ashba really was asked to be part of NITL, I don't miss him, and I think things worked out fine the way they did besides no new album.

But the idea that Slash wouldn't allow Ashba in the band is ridiculous. Not that many years ago Slash would have been against GNR just playing the same old songs and not releasing any new music. But when you're offered the shitload of money GNR has made off the nostalgia tour and when you have to pay alimony to Perla, your "It's all about the music and I'm not in it for the money maaaannn!" attitude is likely to change. Axl and Slash together, regardless of who else is on stage, is what brings the money in. And anyone still trying to say Slash is too principled to play with Ashba, I can't hear you over Slash playing with Frank on those songs Slash's beloved Paul Tobias wrote.

Edited by WayTooManyOstriches
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I know that Chris has not the best reputation among the fans but it means something when he was the only guy who was able to work with Axl (and Caram) in the studio. Which makes me wonder why Axl let him go so easily back in 2016. 

Based on what Chris wrote during and just after, it looks like Axl told him they are not going to release album they were working, and instead of this going to be another tour with no new songs.

Edited by loko
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Idk I can't belive that it's true, and even if it is Slash would've shut that down immediately had DJ accepted and showed up at rehearsal.

Yeah. I can not believe it is true either. But Axl is not dead. Would he really tell such a blatant lie? Wouldn't Axl come out and say that this is not true, if it in fact isn't??

23 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

"As for Dj Ashba....after the 2014 Las Vegas residency, the band was told to go find other work while Axl put the finishing touches on the album and submitted it to the label.

LOL yeah right. How he's gonna do that, without musicians? Or are "finishing touches" redoing vocals? Seems a strange statement.

Edited by PatrickS77

3 minutes ago, WayTooManyOstriches said:

I have no idea if Ashba really was asked to be part of NITL, I don't miss him, and I think things worked out fine the way they did besides no new album.

But the idea that Slash wouldn't allow Ashba in the band is ridiculous. Not that many years ago Slash would have been against GNR just playing the same old songs and not releasing any new music. But when you're offered the shitload of money GNR has made off the nostalgia tour and when you have to pay alimony to Perla, your "It's all about the music and I'm not in it for the money maaaannn!" attitude is likely to change. Axl and Slash together, regardless of who else is on stage, is what brings the money in. And anyone still trying to say Slash is too principled to play with Ashba, I can't hear you over Slash playing with Frank on those songs Slash's beloved Paul Tobias wrote.

In all the Slash pre-reunion interviews I've read, when he would say that it'd be cool to do a reunion "for the right reasons," he never mentioned new music as one of them. It was always about a tour or some shows with the original band or at least a "decent lineup" and Axl not being late for the shows. Maybe it was because he never thought that a long-term reunion for more than a few shows would be possible, but he never talked about reuniting to make new music. That was all he was saying, and the rest was just projection/wishful thinking by the fans.

The reason Slash wouldn't accept Ashba wouldn't necessary be his principles, but simply that he can't stand the guy. He can accept playing with a drummer that wasn't his first preference or a second keyboard player (like he had accepted the backup singers etc. in 1992), but I don't think he would accept a guitar player he couldn't play with.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

That Let's Dance song wouldn't be so bad*, if it wasn't for the fact that Ashba is just a hit chaser. Whatever he thinks sells, he slaps his name on it. I bet he uses words like "target audience" and "demographic". Yuck!

And I do acknowledge that you have to be business savvy when you're a musician, but with Ashba it feels like he is a businessman first and a musician... third. Like when he started that solo project, he put out a press release first and a single like a month after.

I used to like him and I still think his early Sixx A.M. work was and still is cool, but other than that... hard pass on the guy.

*It still would be bad and cringey as hell. There's this Japanese musician, Miyavi, who does this kind of "rock meets pop meets dance" music and it actually sounds really banging, so I'm not trashing on the genre. 

Press release came out then a single came out a year plus later.  he’s junk 

Miyavi is also a real artist, DJ is not 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

Not even that good of a businessman. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Edit: I always thought the Going Down Version only Featured Bumble and not DJ

You mean, besides Bucket and Robin right? 

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

His playing has aged horribly for me. He was okay on GNR stuff when he didn’t overly simplify things, but his style is very bad. The melodramatic teenage circus haunted house playing doesn’t work for GNR or me.

Didn't know you guys are that young. Or maybe I'm too old.

IMO, it wasn't even about his lack of technical skills. It's just that every note he chooses is a cliche. His tone is also generic. I met him and he was nice, but I don't believe he should be on anything more than a Vegas cover band playing in the Mandalay Bay corridor from the Excalibur.

31 minutes ago, WayTooManyOstriches said:

As far as I know, Slash has to agree to some decisions, even though Ashba would be in Axl's payroll. For the money POV, he wouldn't get any less. But of course it would be a huge problem to share the stage with another guitar player.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

Of all the links the mods haven't immediately taken down. God damn it.

Sadly it's from an official channel. If it was from an Ashba fan channel (lol) we would remove it. Sorry it has to stay ;)

Let’s Dance is an artistic masterpiece that the masses are just unable to comprehend. Beethoven would sell his soul to write something even a fraction of the grandiose tune by Ashba. It’s avant garde, and Axl unfortunately lost a masterpiece demo from the Ashba sessions.

• Haha 2

I used to really hold that butchering of SCOM at the Golden Gods against Ashba. But admittedly it probably was the guitar tech's fault, not his. Question is, what should he have done in that situ? Stopped playing? All he could do was hope no one noticed really..

I don't think he's a terrible player. Clearly anyone playing in GnR has to be a certain standard. Sure, there are probably amateur players on this forum that are arguably better than him. I don't think the gripe is really about his playing as much as the whole image thing, which I suppose is superficial really. And as for people slating him personally, I'm sure anyone who actually sat down and talked to him would find him just fine. People develop hatred so easily for what they think famous people are about, even though they don't know them at all.

Still though, SCOM butchery, wearing a top hat, Ashba water and Hogan ears are all heavy indictments. Unforgivable.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Nice Boy said:

Question is, what should he have done in that situ? Stopped playing?

Yes. That is exactly what should be done when it is that bad. Especially on the most famous song of the night. 

I remember the Golden Gods very well, it was hilarious on here. Joan Jett fucked up "I Hate Myself For Loving You" so they played that twice. It wasn't aired live and even if it was, they should have definitely stopped the song. 

I saw The Who in person once and the guitar was fucked up on Pinball Wizard. Pete stopped, laughed it off, got another guitar, and they redid it

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yes. That is exactly what should be done when it is that bad. Especially on the most famous song of the night. 

I remember the Golden Gods very well, it was hilarious on here. Joan Jett fucked up "I Hate Myself For Loving You" so they played that twice. It wasn't aired live and even if it was, they should have definitely stopped the song. 

I saw The Who in person once and the guitar was fucked up on Pinball Wizard. Pete stopped, laughed it off, got another guitar, and they redid it

Yeah, I guess they could have edited the fuck up out of the video recording maybe.. so apart from those at the show, no one would be any the wiser..

29 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

I used to really hold that butchering of SCOM at the Golden Gods against Ashba. But admittedly it probably was the guitar tech's fault, not his. Question is, what should he have done in that situ? Stopped playing? All he could do was hope no one noticed really..

He could've absolutely stopped playing, don't know any professional guitar player that would've carried on with a guitar completely out of tune. He could've done just like slash when he notices that it's out of tune, tune it on the spot fast as hell (though I doubt that ashba has the ability to do so) or just let BBF or fortus play the intro while ashba tuned/switched guitars.

Ashba is one of the few musicians I know of that makes my skin crawl.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MattleyCrue said:

I have been an Ashba fan since the Beautiful Creatures days and the new music is absolutely horrible! Not sure who is into EDM but at this point in 2021 it has no place!  Maybe in like 2010 lol!

Maybe his wife is into it

I know Ashba gets a bad rep, but the fact remains that he played Robin’s CD solos live a lot better than how Slash is playing them. In particular ‘This I Love’ which Slash has reduced to emotionless noodling improv that goes nowhere. Perhaps that was why Ashba was invited back? Just to play the solos that Slash is either incapable of or refuses to learn?

I want to point out that I’m not some massive Ashba fan, his showboating on stage made me cringe and I’ve never listened to his work outside Guns. I’m just giving an honest opinion on his playing of ChiDem material compared to Slash.

• Like 2