The FIRST 50 GIGS

There's not really much discussion going on about this and it makes me fearful that they won't reach their intended goal of 6000 Patreons in order to complete the series. They're two episodes in and only on 127 Patreons. Granted, I could be looking in the wrong places, but I'm sure Canter popping by here and advertising, should the staff approve, doing some sort of AMA etc would help boost the numbers. I went for the Front Row tier. I don't mind spending the money each month which is essentially just a crate of beer, for something I'll get a lot of insight from and enjoyment out of, but I would like to see more being done to reach the wider audience to help boost the numbers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KURT19 said:

What is it? I’ve never heard of it…

It's the podcast Marc Canter has launched:

https://www.first50gigs.com/

48 minutes ago, Dean said:

There's not really much discussion going on about this and it makes me fearful that they won't reach their intended goal of 6000 Patreons in order to complete the series. They're two episodes in and only on 127 Patreons. Granted, I could be looking in the wrong places, but I'm sure Canter popping by here and advertising, should the staff approve, doing some sort of AMA etc would help boost the numbers. I went for the Front Row tier. I don't mind spending the money each month which is essentially just a crate of beer, for something I'll get a lot of insight from and enjoyment out of, but I would like to see more being done to reach the wider audience to help boost the numbers.

Yes, it'd be good if Marc Canter and Jason Porath did a Q&A about it here. I've noticed that @recklessroadhas visited the forum recently.

The production quality is very good and Marc will need support to cover the cost of it, but I wonder if the goal of subscribers is realistic. It seems that there may be a bit of GnR history fatigue in the hardcore fanbase right now (or at least not the level of interest that would prompt a good number of fans to pay a monthly subscription), as most fans' interest is in new music.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, it'd be good if Marc Canter and Jason Porath did a Q&A about it here. I've noticed that @recklessroadhas visited the forum recently.

The production quality is very good and Marc will need support to cover the cost of it, but I wonder if the goal of subscribers is realistic. It seems that there may be a bit of GnR history fatigue in the hardcore fanbase right now (or at least not the level of interest that would prompt a good number of fans to pay a monthly subscription), as most fans' interest is in new music.

Granted, my interest is definitely in new music. 100%. However, this is great on the side while I wait for the main course.

48 minutes ago, KURT19 said:

What is it? I’ve never heard of it…

@recklessroad Hi Marc, you’ve done great in getting this all together, but there appears to be loads of GNR fans none the wiser as to what this is. I’m using Kurt as an example, but it would be great to see you on here trying to get more people to jump on board!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

I wish there was a better explanation for what you get when you subscribe.  What do I get for 5 dollars a month?  1 episode per month?  I want to subscribe but not at $250 or more dollars for all the content lol. That is what has held me off honestly

It says you get two audio-only episodes. With 15 dollars you get the video episodes and potentially bonus material.

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Would be great if someone who has seen this would chime in how good this is

I've not watched the second episode yet, but the first was enjoyable and they interviewed one of the dudes that was in Slash's first and second bands. It's well structured and you can tell a lot of thought has went into how it's presented.

30 minutes ago, Dean said:

I've not watched the second episode yet, but the first was enjoyable and they interviewed one of the dudes that was in Slash's first and second bands. It's well structured and you can tell a lot of thought has went into how it's presented.

I’ve not got round to subscribing yet but plan to. I do have a worry that by going WAY back that some folk won’t latch on until later - some folk just won’t be interested in Slash’s first bands.

Is there a serious concern that this could stall before we get to the ‘main’ for instance?

Plus - there is clearly an issue regarding awareness off the site as evidenced by the lack of knowledge of it on here. That really needs addressed IMO.

8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I’ve not got round to subscribing yet but plan to. I do have a worry that by going WAY back that some folk won’t latch on until later - some folk just won’t be interested in Slash’s first bands.

Is there a serious concern that this could stall before we get to the ‘main’ for instance?

Plus - there is clearly an issue regarding awareness off the site as evidenced by the lack of knowledge of it on here. That really needs addressed IMO.

The first season is about the formation of the band, the coming together of the classic members and their journey's to that point, but if not advertised properly, I do feel that there is a chance that we won't get past the first season. Hopefully Marc sees this and speaks with the folks involved to remedy this, as what they've got going on is great.

My two cents though would be getting on here to promote it as opposed to Discord, so long as they have blessing from the staff obviously, along with getting on Brando's podcast for further publicity. I'm sure both would help in getting those numbers up.

54 minutes ago, Dean said:

The first season is about the formation of the band, the coming together of the classic members and their journey's to that point, but if not advertised properly, I do feel that there is a chance that we won't get past the first season. Hopefully Marc sees this and speaks with the folks involved to remedy this, as what they've got going on is great.

My two cents though would be getting on here to promote it as opposed to Discord, so long as they have blessing from the staff obviously, along with getting on Brando's podcast for further publicity. I'm sure both would help in getting those numbers up.

Agreed - there is a real danger of not getting to the 2nd season. Hopefully @recklessroadpicks up on this.

42 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

So if I sub next month do I still have access to episode 1&2 or do you only get the episodes for the month you sub?

That I don't know, but I guess so. I subscribed about a week ago and have access to the episodes that have been released so far.

49 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

So if I sub next month do I still have access to episode 1&2 or do you only get the episodes for the month you sub?

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That I don't know, but I guess so. I subscribed about a week ago and have access to the episodes that have been released so far.

It’s a good question actually….what’s to stop folk subbing near the end of the series? That way they would get access to everything and have paid way less? I don’t suppose that would really help getting another series off the ground though if everyone just subbed near the end.

Im not asking a question really….just thinking out loud…! 🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, axlvai said:

If they release at least 1 full show... take may money.

It's not possible, unfortunately, due to copyright. Guns would need to sign off on it. That said, it's audience recorded footage and you'll see snippets of the footage throughout the series where no music is being played.

10 minutes ago, Dean said:

It's not possible, unfortunately, due to copyright. Guns would need to sign off on it. That said, it's audience recorded footage and you'll see snippets of the footage throughout the series where no music is being played.

Yeah - I asked about that and it’s the ‘sync rights’ I gather that’s the problem. I’m sure they did have some audio snippets on one of the tester episodes but they got removed after….well…you know!

13 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah - I asked about that and it’s the ‘sync rights’ I gather that’s the problem. I’m sure they did have some audio snippets on one of the tester episodes but they got removed after….well…you know!

Yeah, sync rights is the problem for songs written by GnR and Hollywood Rose, but that normally shouldn't be a problem with live performances of covers, like Heartbreak Hotel and Jumping Jack Flash (they would need the respective copyright owners to sign off, not GnR).

Edited by Blackstar

52 minutes ago, Dean said:

So... they wouldnt get may maney

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, sync rights is the problem for songs written by GnR and Hollywood Rose, but that normally shouldn't be a problem with live performances of covers, like Heartbreak Hotel and Jumping Jack Flash (they would need the respective copyright owners to sign off, not GnR).

I think I put that exact scenario forward. 🤣 Unfortunately I can’t remember both snippets they played but one was definitely Heartbreak Hotel.

Edited by DTJ80

On 8/31/2021 at 1:42 PM, Blackstar said:

Marc over played his hand awhile back during the release of Reckless road. He should have either released it in 1990 or during the locked and loaded set. 

On 9/3/2021 at 2:46 AM, Ixtlan said:

Marc over played his hand awhile back during the release of Reckless road. He should have either released it in 1990 or during the locked and loaded set. 

You might have never been allowed to see it, so get over your strategical mastermind releasing theories. He is in fact releasing it NOW, enjoy!!