how could Sorum get fired if he was a permanent member?

9 hours ago, Padme said:

Yeah, and so was Gilby. That's what the Live Era booklet says. I don't  remember if Dizzy is in that same boat

I was making a sarcastic remark to OP’s original post  

Dizzy was always considered part of “the band” by Axl. Matt was more of a member than Gilby because Matt actually recorded original material with the band. Gilby just replaced Izzy on tour. 

Matt being labeled an additional musician was a major jab at him directly from Axl. Matt and Axl have never really seen eye to eye. 

5 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I was making a sarcastic remark to OP’s original post  

Dizzy was always considered part of “the band” by Axl. Matt was more of a member than Gilby because Matt actually recorded original material with the band. Gilby just replaced Izzy on tour. 

Matt being labeled an additional musician was a major jab at him directly from Axl. Matt and Axl have never really seen eye to eye. 

Hence why he was shut out of the reunion.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Hence why he was shut out of the reunion.

I think there might have been other reasons for it. Axl wasn't going to fire Frank, the drummer position was already taken. Matt said he talked shit publicly so Axl wasn't going to work with him.

also, Axl talked about how when Matt joined Gn'R, Axl was excited just to have a drummer that was more technically proficient in the band, implying he wasn't into Matt's drumming style anymore so add to that the fact they didn't really agree on a lot of shit it makes sense imo that Axl wouldn't go out of his way to include Matt.

at least the Gn'R camp offered Matt to join in the fun as a guest. Too bad he didn't find the offer attractive enough. Always liked his drumming style even if I prefer Steven.

Edited by Rovim

5 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Pretty much. I would have preferred Matt over Frank. 

Yes

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

I would have preferred Brain over Matt and Frank. 

No

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl talked about how when Matt joined Gn'R, Axl was excited just to have a drummer that was more technically proficient in the band, implying he wasn't into Matt's drumming style anymore

What? If he was excited to have a more technically proficient drummer then he would be into his style.

7 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

What? If he was excited to have a more technically proficient drummer then he would be into his style.

I think Axl compared Matt to Steven, and said something like he was excited about just having a drummer that could actually play or something to that effect. Like it could have been anyone who was able to play the material kinda explaining why he was excited then compared to how he views Matt's UYI work now. This was after Chinese was released I believe.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I think Axl compared Matt to Steven, and said something like he was excited about just having a drummer that could actually play or something to that effect. Like it could have been anyone who was able to play the material kinda explaining why he was excited then compared to how he views Matt's UYI work now. This was after Chinese was released I believe.

He said that the drumming on UYI was technically proficient, but listening to it in hindsight he thought it was the main thing that was "off" about those albums.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 4:15 PM, Blackstar said:

There are some really funny stories about Axl firing and rehiring people.

Sad ones, too. He checked into Rumbo unannounced once or twice early in the morning, and found only Josh and some engineers were working late. Ax had a fit (expecting to meet the full lineup) and told everyone they were to shut down, pack it up and leave for good.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, denin said:

Sad ones, too. He checked into Rumbo unannounced once or twice early in the morning, and found only Josh and some engineers were working late. Ax had a fit (expecting to meet the full lineup) and told everyone they were to shut down, pack it up and leave for good.

Yes, I remember reading this one (it was in the What's On Dubai article, I think - Dominguez must have been the source). He would also call the studio and ask who was there, then he'd say he'd be there in two hours, but he wouldn't show up, except that time that he did.