Is CDII the final Guns release?

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Probably the last album of original material. I wouldn’t be too surprised if they did another covers album with stuff like Wichita and The Seeker at some point. Bands like Aerosmith and the Stones have done cover albums later in their careers.

Didn't even consider this possibility, but this is a really good point. They can also pick and choose songs Axl doesn't sound like shit trying to sing.

• Like 1

I am not convinced a new album is coming, even with the Absurd single. If one does get released, which would be fantastic, I think it would be the last full album of original material

Axl just doesn’t seem to have the inspiration that he had from the 1980s to the early/mid-2000s. Not sure what happened - would make for a fascinating documentary to go in-depth on the arc of his musical career and personal journey.  Unfortunately, seems like everyone close to him had to sign an NDA for the past 25 years. 

• Like 1

Me and my buddies were once thinking how it would be if we had the talent to form a band. 

They said "And after we made enough money touring we can stop doing anything for yeeears" with which I had to disagree. If I were passionate about my band, I'd stop doing anything for around two days - then I'd get back to writing, laying out ideas for songs and even when we'd be all burned out on writing etc. our own new songs my foot would still be up their asses every day "Oh let's record this cover, that could be fun!". There'd be hundreds of cover songs recorded by my band just to release out of boredom. It's just the kind of person I am when I really love doing something.

Anyway, that discussion just got me wondering what kind of mentality Axl has towards new music. Yeah, he never releases it but we don't know what's really going on in his head or heart about it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Me and my buddies were once thinking how it would be if we had the talent to form a band. 

They said "And after we made enough money touring we can stop doing anything for yeeears" with which I had to disagree. If I were passionate about my band, I'd stop doing anything for around two days - then I'd get back to writing, laying out ideas for songs and even when we'd be all burned out on writing etc. our own new songs my foot would still be up their asses every day "Oh let's record this cover, that could be fun!". There'd be hundreds of cover songs recorded by my band just to release out of boredom. It's just the kind of person I am when I really love doing something.

Anyway, that discussion just got me wondering what kind of mentality Axl has towards new music. Yeah, he never releases it but we don't know what's really going on in his head or heart about it.

he said in the china exchance that he in restrospective would made his own discography firm, and he has a lot of troubles for releasing music back in the days pre-reunion, in 2010 it was this rumour he was about to release cd 2 but the discography didn t let him, i think that could be one thing and the other are mental problems he has to worck , his life was not easy in those terms.

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

but what if he doesn't need to record full length songs anymore to release more music in the future? we don't know how many tunes with finished vocals exist in the vault.

there could be 2 albums worth of music with vocals so they can release CD ll next year, and another album 5 years from now.

anyway, my focus is on CD ll. I hope they will manage to get it out soon. Everything else is gravy.

This is certainly the case with any “full-length” vocal recordings we will ever get. It just doesn’t sit well with me that there’s a possibility of future recordings being comprised of nearly three decade-old recordings from Axl’s early CD sessions. Realistically, we just don’t know the breadth of all the vocal material that’s out there. 

What if they started planning to make a Hardschool release based on the positive response it got from the leaks? I mean, Atlas, Perhaps and SOG also had some positive feedback but Hardschool has that Angry Axl RNR vibe. I don’t think it was a random choice to play it and then (probably) release it 

7 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

Followed by The Fusilli Whoopsie-Daisy!

But yeah, I'm going full-blown delusional and say that not only do we get CDII (or whatever that'll be called) and one more studio album after that :wow:

Maybe they'll put out two separate discs like they did with Illusions 1 and 2. Maybe a double album.

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but at this point, I wouldn't mind an EP of covers. They should announce an actual studio album for mid 2022, but drop a covers EP this winter to hold us over. They only need like 5 covers. I'd do The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Slither (imagine Axl putting studio rasp on the choruses...), Whole Lotta Rosie, and I Wanna Be Your Dog. Maybe even a studio Godfather theme jam too.

34 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but at this point, I wouldn't mind an EP of covers. They should announce an actual studio album for mid 2022, but drop a covers EP this winter to hold us over. They only need like 5 covers. I'd do The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Slither (imagine Axl putting studio rasp on the choruses...), Whole Lotta Rosie, and I Wanna Be Your Dog. Maybe even a studio Godfather theme jam too.

Don't forget black hole sun.

2 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

I wouldn't mind this at all :headbang:

2 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

I would be down with this.

3 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

Throw in Sailing and you have a deal 👍

• Like 1

I wouldn't be against a cover album at some point in the future, but it shouldn't come before new music. It's not like GN'R have released tons of their own music in recent decades. So whatever the content of the first "comeback" album will be, it should be their own material. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Following the trajectory of their career so far, IF we get just one more album we'd be doing well. 

Should it come out, you can guarantee that the next 10+ years will be taken up with touring it. 

They should make it a double album then! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

This is certainly the case with any “full-length” vocal recordings we will ever get. It just doesn’t sit well with me that there’s a possibility of future recordings being comprised of nearly three decade-old recordings from Axl’s early CD sessions. Realistically, we just don’t know the breadth of all the vocal material that’s out there. 

just to clarify I still think Axl is capable of recording new vocals in the studio, I'm not sure how interested he is in doing so and I want Gn'R to release as much material as possible as soon as possible. The stale vocals thing doesn't bother me personally, only the lack of new music.

I agree that 20 year old vocals, even great vocals is not the same thing as getting something fresh as it doesn't reflect where the artist is currently but this is something I've accepted when it comes to Axl and I believe whatever album he releases will not disappoint.

Edited by Rovim
  • GNFNR 1