Is CDII the final Guns release?

21 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Let’s say CDII is happening this year, next year, or soon.

Is that the end of the road for new Guns music? Do we really imagine Axl, with his current voice laying down vocals on new songs? With how long new music takes, would he be in his 70’s by the time it would be finished anyways? The way it currently feels is like that CDII will be the last hurrah for new music, and then the band will tour for a while followed by the typical finale tour.

I would hope to be wrong but the idea of them releasing anything after this alleged CDII, if it happens period, feels bleak, considering CDII will mostly use already written songs with already finished vocals.

The new album will be the last one imo. Axl will be knocking on 60 yrs next Feb. Last album was released 13 years ago, if he releases new album in 2021, i can't see him having a more productive output going forward, than he has in the past, as he ages. There is simply no evidence of that in the past imo. 

Fuck, this is a wake up call for me, as I never saw axl as 60, he's an old man (I know 60s is the new 50s). What have I done with my life other than idolise this band. Sorry team, just had a moment contemplating the end of the road for Gn'R, and considering my misconstrued purpose in life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the way the quality of GNR keeps deteriorating combined with how much support they still get from casuals and remembering that Axl pretty much adopted a Brazilian family, I would suggest selling rights to Axl's vault once he's dead will bring much more profit to Team Brazil rather than reinvent the wheel with a new album nowadays

• Haha 1

God I hope Quicksong gets released. It's so fucking cool with so many great riffs. That ''bridgey'' thing between verses and before the solo is made for Slash! The solo even is reminiscent of Slash in some ways, with that major arpeggio, so tasty! Love that song to bits.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but at this point, I wouldn't mind an EP of covers. They should announce an actual studio album for mid 2022, but drop a covers EP this winter to hold us over. They only need like 5 covers. I'd do The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Slither (imagine Axl putting studio rasp on the choruses...), Whole Lotta Rosie, and I Wanna Be Your Dog. Maybe even a studio Godfather theme jam too.

Marseilles, The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Riff Raff, I Wanna Be Your Dog, and maybe a Thin Lizzy cover (Don't Believe A Word, Parisienne Walkways, The Sun Goes Down... there's plenty to choose from) would be a great covers EP.

• Like 2

It's of course impossible to predict, but personally I'm hopeful that CD2 won't be the final album. 

At least according to Sebastian Bach, Axl wants The General to be on the album that comes out after CD2, so clearly there's been plans for an album after CD2.

Will they put all of their best songs on CD2 instead and then release that as their final album? That remains to be seen. If the General is not on CD2, then it's safe to say that there is a plan for another album.

According to Axl, CD2 has been very close to finished for pretty much a decade now. Of course Slash and Duff have been working on making the songs their own, but what has Axl been doing in the meantime? Clearly he hasn't been writing new lyrics for Absurd and Hard Skool doesn't seem to be drastically different from the old version either. So if he hasn't been tinkering on the CD2 songs too much, what has he been doing all these years? What has Axl been doing since CD1 was released, besides touring?

Either he's been doing nothing, or he's been writing new material. I'm in the camp who sees Axl as a creative person who actually enjoys writing music. He's a slow songwriter for sure, but I do  think that throughout the years they've created more unreleased music than most people believe. I mean look at the Village Sessions leaks and how much material they had in 1999. Do some people think that they just stopped writing new music after that?

I believe that there is enough great music for another album after CD2. My prediction is that the album after CD2 is about as ready as CD2 was when CD1 was released. But that's just my guess.

If all the so called big guns, like The General, Soulmonster and Seven end up being on CD2, that would make me more sceptical about future music, cause that would suggest that they're not saving anything for later.

But what ever ends up happening, I also believe that there is a lot of music that probably won't see the light of day before Axl has passed away, like "Daddy Can the Devil Do Mommy and Me" for example. So a lot of music will probably be released posthumously.

Edited by Lies They Tell

I don't think there will be a next album . Nobody, except the hardcore fans of any, cares about an album. I think GNR will probably do what they did with Absurd . Drop a single, milk the shit out of it with concerts, youtube and spotify hits , merch... Drop another single, the same strategy.

These days there's no need to release an album . And Axl already has a couple of albuns of material to secure this kind of release to the rest of his artistic life. So nobody will jeopardize the touring machine with a possibility of  "musical differences" trying to write an entire new album  that will not pay the costs of its making.

15 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Wouldn't it be sad, if the album that susan/beta alluded to, was a live album of Not in This Lifetime tour, with studio versions of Absurd / HS as bonus cuts. 

That would be sad indeed at this point.Would have been good in 2016/17 though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Wouldn't it be sad, if the album that susan/beta alluded to, was a live album of Not in This Lifetime tour, with studio versions of Absurd / HS as bonus cuts. 

Yeah, I posted the same thing a couple of days back and that's what I'm pretty worried about at this point. 

Just a guess of course but I'm worried we're going to get a double live album with 2016 / re-touched studio vocals, then studio versions of HS & Absurd tacked on. 

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I posted the same thing a couple of days back and that's what I'm pretty worried about at this point. 

Just a guess of course but I'm worried we're going to get a double live album with 2016 / re-touched studio vocals, then studio versions of HS & Absurd tacked on. 

I've a feeling you might be right - minus re-touched studio vocals.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Just a guess of course but I'm worried we're going to get a double live album with 2016 / re-touched studio vocals, then studio versions of HS & Absurd tacked on

Hope we're wrong. But the fact he released a song that is considered a b_side at best, as the first song back, when we know he has better songs, I fear this maybe a sign of things to come and we may not see another proper Gnr album. Hence the fear of the worst possible album idea....... Highlights from a never ending world tour. 

• GNFNR 1

On 8/27/2021 at 2:45 AM, invisible_rose said:

I think that would require him recording line by line - which IIRC is how it's believed he recorded much of Chinese, right? It's possible, but I suspect unlikely. I think it's far more likely that they're using the CD sessions as the basis because Axl's voice was in great shape at periods, it's the best option they have, and honestly, I think Axl needs to let go and put it out there for his own good.

We might see the odd track after that, but I suspect they'll probably end up on the festival circuit and rinse the vault for all it's worth. 

Do you have a link to anything about recording of CD vocals line by line? 

Vaguely remember something like that too, burried as a one line in a wider article/post/thread (which in itself was an interesting read). 

5 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Vaguely remember something like that too, burried as a one line in a wider article/post/thread (which in itself was an interesting read). 

I don't know if it was ever officially confirmed but there are several songs and parts of songs on UYI that couldn't have sounded the way they did if it wasn't recorded a line or two at a time.  There's just too many words in too little time for Axl to have enough breath to sound powerful if it was sung straight through.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Steven said the he did that on Appetite that was his first record... With all the pressure over Chinese I really wouldn't doubt the he recorded word by word;

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beto 22 said:

Steven said the he did that on Appetite that was his first record... With all the pressure over Chinese I really wouldn't doubt the he recorded word by word;

I recall reading from interviews and such that Axl would usually only need to do one or two vocal takes. Then touchups can be added later, if needed.

7 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Yes, Steven said that, but he's the only source for it and wasn't there when Axl recorded the vocals. There was a interview with the engineer who recorded Axl's vocals on AFD a while ago, and he said that Axl recorded some songs in one take and in others he did more takes. I guess Mike Clink would be the most reliable source for this.

• Like 2

Im hopeful we will get atleast 2 new records... the first one the reworked CD2 and then a new record from scratch. I would imagine they have compromised something like this after seeing axl singing Slither and Slash/Duff playing everything from CD they want. Makes sense (so it might not happen lol). Lets hope!

With how difficult it is to get Axl to release music for whatever reasons and it appearing that the music they're working on now are leftover CD tracks that Slash and Druff re-work while using Axl's vocals from 20 years ago....I'd say the next album is the last.

Maybe it's Axl's voice, maybe he just has nothing left to say....but Slash and Duff working on CD leftover feels like that's all there's left to squeeze out of GNR as far as new music goes.

• Like 1

Based on the songs we know and if this really is a collection of old stuff, how will your tracklist look like??

1. Absurd

2. Hard Skool

3. Atlas Shrugged

4. Soul Monster

5. Goin Down (w/ Duff & Axl)

6. State of Grace

7. Quick Song

8. Perhaps

9. Oklahoma

10. Circus Maximus

11. Zodiac

12. The General

59 minutes ago, betterman said:

Based on the songs we know and if this really is a collection of old stuff, how will your tracklist look like??

1. Absurd

2. Hard Skool

3. Atlas Shrugged

4. Soul Monster

5. Goin Down (w/ Duff & Axl)

6. State of Grace

7. Quick Song

8. Perhaps

9. Oklahoma

10. Circus Maximus

11. Zodiac

12. The General

GNR must be the only band in existence that take this long to release music, only for fans to have already heard leaked versions of all, some or most of the songs already. I've never heard of another band having such a problem.