wtf is Sorum releasing an ebook on vinyl?!

1 hour ago, LunsJail said:

I’ll be interested to see what else he changed. He came off terrible in the leaked version

He had come off like that in interviews over the years, too. I think it's conscious and, seeing it from another angle, there's a level of sincerity in the way he comes off that I kind of appreciate.

In the interviews he's done so far promoting the book he's been "gracious" about the reunion, so I suspect he has removed the part about Duff and Frank, too.

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He had come off like that in interviews over the years, too. I think it's conscious and, seeing it from another angle, there's a level of sincerity in the way he comes off that I kind of appreciate.

In the interviews he's done so far promoting the book he's been "gracious" about the reunion, so I suspect he has removed the part about Duff and Frank, too.

What did he say about Duff?

I know he said that Duff / Slash bitched about Frank not being a good drummer, did he say more?

On 8/28/2021 at 7:14 AM, mystery said:

What's your general opinion on Slash and Duff's books? I read Slash's about a decade ago when I knew less overall about the band than I know now. It came across as straightforward. The most interesting part being the period from 94-96.

I read Duff's book first. I hadn't read much then other what I remembered from back in the day. I thought it was well written and interesting, even though it was more focused on Duff's personal struggle and less on anecdotes about GnR.

Then I read Slash's, which is definitely more juicy and informative. Later I realised that there are a few instances of Slash misremembering things or not presenting some stories completely accurately (compared to what he had said before and other sources).

Overall, I think they're both very interesting as they reflect Slash and Duff's perspective of themselves and their history in GnR at the time the books where written.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

What did he say about Duff?

I know he said that Duff / Slash bitched about Frank not being a good drummer, did he say more?

More or less that (he said it only about Duff, not Slash).

Spoiler

He said that when the reunion rumours started floating around, he called Duff asking him what was going on and "demanding" that Duff should try to include him, and Duff told him that Axl wanted "his guy." Duff avoided him for a while, then the reunion happened and Matt got an offer from Fernando to do some guest spots, which Matt declined when he realised there was no money. Some time later, when GnR were rehearsing before a tour leg, Duff and Matt had dinner together and it was awkward. Duff asked him why he declined Fernando's offer and told him there would eventually have been money if he had turned up. Then Matt asked him why they were rehearsing so much, and Duff allegedly replied "because you're not the drummer."

1 hour ago, NostalgicRock said:

Lol what am I missing about matt sorum and stephanie seymour? they hooked up or is it a joke?

He said that Stephanie rubbed his balls one time he, she and Axl were together in a limo and while Axl was busy signing autographs. Then he talked about it with Duff and Duff told him she had done something similar to him, too.

Edited by Blackstar
Put story in spoilers in case someone hasn't read the book and intends to read it in the future
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I read Duff's book first. I hadn't read much then other what I remembered from back in the day. I thought it was well written and interesting, even though it was more focused on Duff's personal struggle and less on anecdotes about GnR.

Then I read Slash's, which is definitely more juicy and informative. Later I realised that there are a few instances of Slash misremembering things or not presenting some stories completely accurately (compared to what he had said before and other sources).

Overall, I think they're both very interesting as they reflect Slash and Duff's perspective of themselves and their history in GnR at the time the books where written.

Thanks for giving your input. I feel like later on I got the same feeling with Slash's book. It was a good read and like I said, the most informative parts were about the period from 94-96 and how from his perspective he was unable to connect or get through to Axl. The eye opening thing was the recording sessions booked late into the night which seemed kind of aimless after awhile. Axl either wouldn't show or would show up early in the morning when the other members would be gone.

I get the impression Axl was a very "boss" like figure who wouldn't be around much but would dictate what he wanted done. There didn't seem to be much of a relationship between Axl and some of the other band members outside of Guns. There also seemed to be no concrete goals in regards to getting an album recorded or really much pressure from Geffen. 

19 minutes ago, NostalgicRock said:

Yea not surprised by seymour anymore

I don't think that relationship was ever going to work out. Didn't she start seeing Peter Brant almost immediately after her relationship with Axl ended?

Edited by mystery

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I have heard from people firsthand that that part is true.

Whether it is or not, it takes a certain type of person to go on about it quite so relentlessly! 

Basically, I started the book being totally indifferent to him, finished it thinking he was an arse! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/29/2021 at 2:25 AM, allwaystired said:

I thought the Matt book was pretty tedious. Loads of stories that seemed wildly embellished and a whole lot of "I'm so great with women". 

Pretty much what you get from any drunk sitting at any bar on his own really! 

Guy wrote about “auditioning” hookers for Heidi Fleiss (I think) but couldn’t tell us dick about much of the recordings or how he came up with the parts etc. The music took a back seat to every thing else. 

Even if you’re in a shitty band playing to 30 people, you’re gonna get drunk, take some drugs and get laid. I just assume all that stuff. It’s the recording, writing and behind the scenes stuff I like from these type of books. 

Ive read a few books on The Doors and it’s funny to read 2 guys describe the exact same gig...from Manzareks point of view Morrison was a Dionysian god, a shaman, whirling around the stage, from Densmores point of view Morrison was out of it drunk and on stuff, and the gig was a borderline disaster. 

I like those insights..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I still want to know why she chose him to do it instead of any of her other clients. If I run into him at NAMM in January that's the first thing I'm going to ask him.

Probably no specific reason, just random cause he's a friend, I can't imagine there would be an exact reason. What special credentials can you have to fuck hookers

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

On 8/30/2021 at 8:41 AM, allwaystired said:

Whether it is or not, it takes a certain type of person to go on about it quite so relentlessly! 

Basically, I started the book being totally indifferent to him, finished it thinking he was an arse! 

Yup. Agree. 

Come VR, every interview I saw or read of him he came across as a sleeze and thinking he's all that. Even nowadays how he talks, dresses, etc the dude thinks he walks on water and is gods gift to women. 

Not suprised to here ppls opinions on the book here, I've not read it but by sounds of it it is what I was expecting. 

It's a shame though, as he had front seats to an interesting time wiht the band, recording, etc. 

You need some rock n roll anecdotes and stuff of course but so many people are more interested I the behind the scenes shit of albums, recording, dramas, touring etc. 

Mark Lanegan's book is a good read mind you. 

11 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

Is it really that much of a big deal that Seymour rubbed Sorum's balls? They're a bunch of coked up & piss drunk rockers. That kind of shit will happen. It's not like she fucked him is it. 

nah, you're right, it's cool. They're all "rockers". She did nothing wrong. If it was Jazz though I think it would have been frowned upon.

• Haha 1