Axl's voice thread 2021

8 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Nobody saying Youtube videos lie, you just hear the voice differently when you're there. And that's a fact.

Nah. 

You hear the audience singing along and that masks Axl singing weak. He hits the note and the crowd add the body to his voice. That's fact🤠

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Nah. 

You hear the audience singing along and that masks Axl singing weak. He hits the note and the crowd add the body to his voice. That's fact🤠

I don't think most of the crowd is hitting the high notes and adding body to his voice!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

I don't think most of the crowd is hitting the high notes and adding body to his voice!

Exactly where did I say most of the crowd (or any) are hitting the high notes? I said Axl hits the high notes. You need to read more carefully. But yeah, they absofuckinglutely do add to the thickness of the lead vocal in a live setting. It's for that reason that people say "youtube videos aren't accurate. They hear this wall of sound and Axl riding on top of it, but if you strip the crowds singing and just hear Axl; he sounds weak. If that's not adding body/weight to his voice, how exactly would you describe it? I look forward to your nonsensical reply🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Exactly where did I say most of the crowd (or any) are hitting the high notes? I said Axl hits the high notes. You need to read more carefully. But yeah, they absofuckinglutely do add to the thickness of the lead vocal in a live setting. It's for that reason that people say "youtube videos aren't accurate. They hear this wall of sound and Axl riding on top of it, but if you strip the crowds singing and just hear Axl; he sounds weak. If that's not adding body/weight to his voice, how exactly would you describe it? I look forward to your nonsensical reply🤣

Why don't we hear this effect from the crowd singing on the youtube videos?  I can hear people talking near the person recording sometimes.  Most people don't sing along to things like YCBM and it is still a better vocal experience live than on YT.

52 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Why don't we hear this effect from the crowd singing on the youtube videos?  I can hear people talking near the person recording sometimes.  Most people don't sing along to things like YCBM and it is still a better vocal experience live than on YT.

Not having this debate. Right up there with flat earthers and all those "elightened" folk as far as i'm concerned.

Edited by Tom2112

I don’t think his voice improved from last year.

Tbh I think vocally 2021 is his worst year vocally. 2018 gets a lot of hate - but he was only struggling with TIL. Now he is struggling with a lot of songs. Dead Horse, Coma, TIL, SOYL, Locomotive all have been dropped because he can no longer sing them. If you listen to the bridge of Better of YCBM - he has a really hard time with hitting the notes. He could still pull it off in 2019 and 2020.

But I’m not hating on the guy. He seems to be trying his best every show, he seems like he’s enjoying himself a lot more than in past few years, he looks much better and it’s really fun to watch him perform again. I don’t think he is even able to improve his vocals from now. I mean - he can always improve but there will be no miracle. It’s permanently damaged.

I still can’t wait to see them live and as I said before, his attitude seems to be much better and the rest of the band is doing great, the energy is there. 

I hope COVID won’t fuck up EU tour next year and I’ll get to see them :slash:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sl4yer said:

I don’t think his voice improved from last year.

Tbh I think vocally 2021 is his worst year vocally. 2018 gets a lot of hate - but he was only struggling with TIL. Now he is struggling with a lot of songs. Dead Horse, Coma, TIL, SOYL, Locomotive all have been dropped because he can no longer sing them. If you listen to the bridge of Better of YCBM - he has a really hard time with hitting the notes. He could still pull it off in 2019 and 2020.

But I’m not hating on the guy. He seems to be trying his best every show, he seems like he’s enjoying himself a lot more than in past few years, he looks much better and it’s really fun to watch him perform again. I don’t think he is even able to improve his vocals from now. I mean - he can always improve but there will be no miracle. It’s permanently damaged.

I still can’t wait to see them live and as I said before, his attitude seems to be much better and the rest of the band is doing great, the energy is there. 

I hope COVID won’t fuck up EU tour next year and I’ll get to see them :slash:

Yeah, we're not getting to the 2016 level ever again, let alone anything better. It was the AC/DC thing that did the permanent damage, but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I understand that he had to do it, what with him being a fan and them being legends etc. I just hope he'll employ some sort of sustainable strategy so that he can sing and tour at all. And I still believe in his studio abilities. Listen to Berlin '18 and then to Rock the Rock. Same year, two different people. 

Edited by jamillos

On 8/27/2021 at 7:40 AM, whatashame said:

I watched a 2012 show the other day and I got to thinking how ever since 2006 every new rendition of GNR has been seen by me as the worst ever, only to grow on me once a newer , worse one came on the horizon. I never thought anything worse than 2016 could happen in the GNR universe, and then Axl got fatter and his hair got worse in 2018. And then I thought you can't beat that and we got Hershey 2021.

Going back to 2006 shows is such a blast. And to think we used to consider Axl fat in 2006.

Did anyone consider him fat in 2006? That was probably the best he looked publicly since 1993. I remember that being a criticism in 2001, feel like so much so that he was in real good shape at the end of 2001. He looked amazing at those December 2001 shows, somehow he let himself go real quick only 8 months later in August 2002.

11 hours ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, we're not getting to the 2016 level ever again, let alone anything better. It was the AC/DC thing that did the permanent damage, but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I understand that he had to do it, what with him being a fan and them being legends etc. I just hope he'll employ some sort of sustainable strategy so that he can sing and tour at all. And I still believe in his studio abilities. Listen to Berlin '18 and then to Rock the Rock. Same year, two different people. 

About the AC/DC thing I don't think it destroyed his voice. Imo it's more about Axl not taking care of his voice 24/7. I could be wrong but the more he sings the better he sounds... 

Edited by TheDemocracyRose

8 minutes ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

About the AC/DC thing I don't think it destroyed his voice. Imo it's more about Axl not taking care of his voice 24/7. I could be wrong but the more he sings the better he sounds... 

It's been going steadily downhill since 2017... 

2 hours ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

It feels like he used a decade worth of rasp in those few months touring with AC/DC. It almost feels like the UYI tour where it was all rasp all the time. Honestly felt like he put way more effort with AC/DC than his own band.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mystery said:

I Honestly felt like he put way more effort with AC/DC than his own band.

He rehearsed a lot with them before the tour. I guess he don't do that with GNR. He should work on his voice everyday...

It would be interesting to hear how Axl would handle a new round with Angus...

11 hours ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Yes but with long breaks. I don't think he is taking enough care of his voice in these breaks. He's always starting out weak also before AC/DC...

Long or short, his condition nowadays is like something we would call "his voice was shot", like Berlin 2018, only now it's permanent. Even those rare moments where he goes for rasp are bad (with some exceptions). 2016 is levels away. I'm not bitching btw, but this is the thread to discuss it. I don't see him getting back even to the 2017 level; I just hope he'll preserve the voice somehow to be able to sing at all in the future. And as I've said, I believe he's still a beast in the studio. 

9 hours ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

He rehearsed a lot with them before the tour. I guess he don't do that with GNR. He should work on his voice everyday...

It would be interesting to hear how Axl would handle a new round with Angus...

He wouldn't. There's no way in hell he could sing any of that in 2021. 

Edited by jamillos

11 hours ago, kanecrescente said:

His 2001 voice was worse than this yet in 2006 was arguably at its best ever it seems from show videos... he got it back somehow before

I saw Guns in 2006 and 2010 and 2006 was worse.

2010 was the best year after 1993. Strong voice, Had rasp and a lot of energy.

I saw them in 2017 too, and was great, but the best voice for me was 2010.

Edited by axljungle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, axljungle said:

I saw Guns in 2006 and 2010 and 2006 was worse.

2010 was the best year after 1993. Strong voice, Had rasp and a lot of energy.

I saw them in 2017 too, and was great, but the best voice for me was 2010.

Absolutely, saw a clip from the pro shot puerto Rico show the other day of Rocket Queen. Even from the start, the lower range parts are full rasp, sand paper aggression. Superb. Of course it couldn't last and I'm guessing it really damaged him long term after 2010. Since then he's had moments of rasp of course and 2016 was solid, but give him a break. He's still great just singing differently, and I don't mind at all takjng into account his age. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Absolutely, saw a clip from the pro shot puerto Rico show the other day of Rocket Queen. Even from the start, the lower range parts are full rasp, sand paper aggression. Superb. Of course it couldn't last and I'm guessing it really damaged him long term after 2010. Since then he's had moments of rasp of course and 2016 was solid, but give him a break. He's still great just singing differently, and I don't mind at all takjng into account his age. 

And YouTube vids sound like shit. I remember see some vídeos after Madrid show, and sound worse.

IMO the whole AC/DC tour thing damaged permanently Axl's voice and since '17 his voice was never the same especially at higher pitch/rasp where he obviously suffers now. Maybe it's also age related. All in all Axl's still got one hell of voice at his age - a shame he's loosing his legendary stamina on stage too. Let's take it for what it is. 

• Like 2