Axl's voice thread 2021

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It seemed so effortless for him to sing it that way too, barely any 'mickey' lol. It's definitely one of the better performances of that song since 2011...

https://streamable.com/3gpbcs

Thanks for sharing. It's crazy seeing where the band was at in that period compared to 2016-present. There's some rasp sprinkled in there especially at the end but he's using a lot of his cleaner voice. The difference is he's able to belt it out so he sounds good even though I prefer the rasp. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rockytop said:

I didn't think he would ever sound like his old self again and then he toured with ACDC, and he sounded insane! The notes he hit on that tour were incredible.

How did he do it? I'm curious why he can't sound like that more often with Guns. 

One of life's great mysteries. Trust me, we'd all love to know how and why the AC/DC run was insanely great.

3 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Yesterday I was mentioned of that specific show by @Gordon Comstock. Estranged was probably Axl’s raspiest version since the 90s (I always recommended Chile 2011 but I think this one beats it). A truly mindblowing performance :) 

That’s right! He did nail estranged on that second half. That was nuts 

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It seemed so effortless for him to sing it that way too, barely any 'mickey' lol. It's definitely one of the better performances of that song since 2011...

https://streamable.com/3gpbcs

That was the year he also opened that little show at the Brooklyn Bowl with Youre crazy and had one of the best vocal performances while sick. 

Just had a listen to that video on Blabbermouth with Dave Grohl. Those Axl ad libs over the intro chorus to PC are, eh, horrid. The late whistle is fucking bizarre. And his voice is bloody shot. Band sound tight. But who cares if the singer can't deliver. I have a ticket for a show next year. I won't be going.

Axl`s voice is always a mistery.

He had a great perfomance in Lubbock 2013 indeed and that was (vocally) a not so different year than 2011, 2012.

Also, 2014 was a very poor year vocally, but then he come out of nowhere in the last 3 vegas shows with a KILLER perfomance (TWAT, prostitute, yesterdays and others songs with rasp, better than 2016).

I really hope he can improves as seen in the last show (rasp in jungle, better perfomance in YCBM, but he still not consistent).

On 8/30/2021 at 2:10 AM, mystery said:

I really wonder how much of his current voice is irreparable damage and how much of it is due to lifestyle, training, and rehearsing. Rob Halford of Judas Priest is 10 years older than Axl and he came out in 2018/19 sounding the best he'd been since the early 2000s with Halford and since the Painkiller tour with Judas Priest.

Before that Rob sounded pretty bad at times on certain songs like Painkiller, the Sentinel, and Freewheel Burning to name a few.

The rasp might be gone but Axl can still try to sing with power even with his cleaner voice. It sounds recently like even that's failing him.

I'm not a Judas Priest expert, but I don't think we can compare Axl to any other singer. A lot of Guns songs are impossible to sing. Only Axl can sing them. But I too always think of Steven Tyler and wish Axl was still rocking Guns like Steven rocks Aerosmith. I guess it's just not the same exact style & voice (without trying to make excuses for Axl).

I had a band over 10 years ago, we had a lot of auditions. I'll always remember that guy who told me it was easy to imitate Axl's voice, that Axl wasn't a real singer and he was, that he just had to force his voice...

The audition with him was a complete disaster. He could sing a lot of stuff (from other bands, and did a great job at it), but not Nightrain for example. It was terrible. Needless to say we didn't hire him.

We went for a girl, because only women can somehow do an "okay" rendition of some Guns songs. It's not genius, I hate that we had to lower our exceptations and hire a girl, but that's the only way really.

I've heard some guys cover Guns on YouTube, it's never amazing. Girls do a better job at it, but even then, I don't like it.

I think Axl's voice is mostly shot, or he would have at least redone the vocals for Silkworms/Absurd. And judging from the recent shows... he clearly can't sing the higher parts. He still does a great job on Chinese Democracy (the song) and It's so easy, songs that only require a lower register. So he can still sing and have power in his voice, just not on the higher parts.

I don't know if it's the lifestyle/training/rehearsing. Axl wasn't very fit in 2010 but he was much better than in 2006 where he was fitter. I guess it's just his vocal chords & aging and you can't do much about it.

I would prefer Axl to be very fit, but I think it's pretty clear he doesn't train throughout the year :') He must train like a month or two before the beginning of a tour, then trains during the tour, but as soon as it's over he's enjoying life. That's his way of living, that's what works for him, and who knows, he may live for another 30 years and perform in a wheelchair with the worst performance ever of his career. And you'll look back at 2021 and realize it was great! Hahaha

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 2:08 PM, ChrisMaciel said:

I`ve heard the best madagascar made by this lineup (Atlantic City, 09-11-21 show) but unfourtanely the video is gone.
I thought that Axl`s voice reached his peak couple weeks ago, but it`s getting better and hopefully keeps improving show by show.

I agree. It's full Mickey most of the time... But his breath control is getting better.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:08 PM, ChrisMaciel said:

I`ve heard the best madagascar made by this lineup (Atlantic City, 09-11-21 show) but unfourtanely the video is gone.
I thought that Axl`s voice reached his peak couple weeks ago, but it`s getting better and hopefully keeps improving show by show.

There's plenty of versions from 2017 that are miles better than the 2021 versions.

Not even close.

On 7/9/2021 at 00:43, D.. said:

Non sono un esperto dei Judas Priest, ma non credo che possiamo paragonare Axl a nessun altro cantante. Molte canzoni dei Guns sono impossibili da cantare. Solo Axl può cantarli. Ma anch'io penso sempre a Steven Tyler e vorrei che Axl stesse ancora suonando i Guns come Steven fa con gli Aerosmith. Immagino che non sia esattamente lo stesso stile e voce (senza cercare di trovare scuse per Axl).

Avevo una band più di 10 anni fa, abbiamo fatto molte audizioni. Ricorderò sempre quel ragazzo che mi disse che era facile imitare la voce di Axl, che Axl non era un vero cantante e lo era, che doveva solo forzare la sua voce...

L'audizione con lui è stata un completo disastro. Poteva cantare un sacco di roba (da altre band, e ha fatto un ottimo lavoro), ma non i Nightrain per esempio. È stato terribile. Inutile dire che non l'abbiamo assunto.

Abbiamo scelto una ragazza, perché solo le donne possono in qualche modo fare una resa "ok" di alcune canzoni dei Guns. Non è geniale, odio che abbiamo dovuto abbassare le nostre eccezioni e assumere una ragazza, ma è davvero l'unico modo.

Ho sentito alcuni ragazzi coprire i Guns su YouTube, non è mai fantastico. Le ragazze fanno un lavoro migliore, ma anche così non mi piace.

Penso che la voce di Axl sia per lo più girata, o almeno avrebbe rifatto la voce per Silkworms/Absurd. E a giudicare dagli spettacoli recenti... chiaramente non può cantare le parti alte. Fa ancora un ottimo lavoro su Chinese Democracy (la canzone) ed è così facile, canzoni che richiedono solo un registro più basso. Quindi può ancora cantare e avere potere nella sua voce, ma non nelle parti più alte.

Non so se è lo stile di vita/l'allenamento/le prove. Axl non era molto in forma nel 2010 ma era molto meglio che nel 2006 dove era più in forma. Immagino che siano solo le sue corde vocali e l'invecchiamento e non puoi farci molto.

Preferirei che Axl fosse molto in forma, ma penso sia abbastanza chiaro che non si alleni tutto l'anno :') Deve allenarsi tipo un mese o due prima dell'inizio di un tour, poi si allena durante il tour, ma non appena come è finita si sta godendo la vita. Questo è il suo modo di vivere, è quello che funziona per lui, e chissà, potrebbe vivere per altri 30 anni e esibirsi su una sedia a rotelle con la peggiore performance di sempre della sua carriera. E guarderai indietro al 2021 e realizzerai che è stato fantastico! Hahaha

I understand what you're saying. I have some friends who play, they do Jam Sessions in some pubs in my town, playing Blues or Rock music. I have asked them why they never play Guns songs, and they always tell me that there is no one with a voice that can sing them...maybe only a woman could have such a high vocal pitch.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, D.. said:

I'm not a Judas Priest expert, but I don't think we can compare Axl to any other singer. A lot of Guns songs are impossible to sing. Only Axl can sing them. But I too always think of Steven Tyler and wish Axl was still rocking Guns like Steven rocks Aerosmith. I guess it's just not the same exact style & voice (without trying to make excuses for Axl).

I had a band over 10 years ago, we had a lot of auditions. I'll always remember that guy who told me it was easy to imitate Axl's voice, that Axl wasn't a real singer and he was, that he just had to force his voice...

The audition with him was a complete disaster. He could sing a lot of stuff (from other bands, and did a great job at it), but not Nightrain for example. It was terrible. Needless to say we didn't hire him.

We went for a girl, because only women can somehow do an "okay" rendition of some Guns songs. It's not genius, I hate that we had to lower our exceptations and hire a girl, but that's the only way really.

I've heard some guys cover Guns on YouTube, it's never amazing. Girls do a better job at it, but even then, I don't like it.

I think Axl's voice is mostly shot, or he would have at least redone the vocals for Silkworms/Absurd. And judging from the recent shows... he clearly can't sing the higher parts. He still does a great job on Chinese Democracy (the song) and It's so easy, songs that only require a lower register. So he can still sing and have power in his voice, just not on the higher parts.

I don't know if it's the lifestyle/training/rehearsing. Axl wasn't very fit in 2010 but he was much better than in 2006 where he was fitter. I guess it's just his vocal chords & aging and you can't do much about it.

I would prefer Axl to be very fit, but I think it's pretty clear he doesn't train throughout the year :') He must train like a month or two before the beginning of a tour, then trains during the tour, but as soon as it's over he's enjoying life. That's his way of living, that's what works for him, and who knows, he may live for another 30 years and perform in a wheelchair with the worst performance ever of his career. And you'll look back at 2021 and realize it was great! Hahaha

I think this Dude does a really good job.

Edited by Beto 22