30 Years ago today

Last show with Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff but not the last show with Izzy in general. This is also the last show before the release of the Use Your Illusion albums. Their next show was December 5, 1991 in Worcester MA which was Gilby Clarke's debut.

Edit: Scratch that first part. He played a few shows in 1993 when Slash and Duff were members but this is his last show as a full time member of the band. His last show with Guns in general was November 24, 2012 which was the Vegas residency.

Edited by mystery

I was at that show, we were unaware that Izzy was leaving and UYI still hadn't been released. It was the first time I heard KOHD live ( I don't remember it being as long as it is now )

Actually it was the first time for a lot of the songs for me. I still have the ticket 😍 :slash::axl92::izzy::duff:

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

1 minute ago, Gunner Gilby said:

You don't like the Gilby era shows? I love Izzy and Slash's guitar interplay Appetite - Illusions. But they did a lot of killer shows with Gilby.

I do like Gilby era, I do like Buckethead era and I do love 2006 era. 

but at the same time I maintain that when Izzy left, it was the end of GNR.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gunner Gilby said:

You don't like the Gilby era shows? I love Izzy and Slash's guitar interplay Appetite - Illusions. But they did a lot of killer shows with Gilby.

I liked Gilby a lot but I didn't like all extras that came after Izzy left, the back up singers etc. '91 and '93 were my best shows

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prettytiedup27 said:

I need to figure out which show I saw at msg in 91.... to think I could have seen perfect crime, locomotive and breakdown but have no memory of it haha...

My first show unfortunately was Gilby's first show.. Nothing against him but I would have loved to have seen Izzy... It was so long ago though.. I can't remember if we knew Izzy wasn't going to be there prior to the show or not.. I was 15 years old and the show was fucking amazing though.. They opened with Jungle... 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

My first show unfortunately was Gilby's first show.. Nothing against him but I would have loved to have seen Izzy... It was so long ago though.. I can't remember if we knew Izzy wasn't going to be there prior to the show or not.. I was 15 years old and the show was fucking amazing though.. They opened with Jungle... 

A friend's dad took my friend and I (we were 12!), pretty sure we left just before the encore iirc. Too young to have thought to kept the stub so I'll prob never know which date we went..  re: izzy same thing, I can't remember if I knew. However, I did buy the program so that might have clued me in if I was unaware haha..

Edited by prettytiedup27

2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I liked Gilby a lot but I didn't like all extras that came after Izzy left, the back up singers etc. '91 and '93 were my best shows

I agree about the extra players to a point. I fucking love the extended Move To The City tho. The horns, Teddy's organ solo, Dizzy's piano solo.

If they had all that extra stuff every tour it'd be lame. But it was only for part of one very long tour.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The bloatedness of the '92 shows killed off my interest. They used to be a sleazy, tight little group, now it was a mess - a show. It wasn't my band any more. 

exactly. 1992 is kinda meh to me for that reason. 1993 was a wasted mess running on fumes, that for some reason worked better than 1992 for me, but still - 1991 was the second peak of GNR, Gilby era was a spectacular overbloated but already dead band.

8 minutes ago, zombux said:

exactly. 1992 is kinda meh to me for that reason. 1993 was a wasted mess running on fumes, that for some reason worked better than 1992 for me, but still - 1991 was the second peak of GNR, Gilby era was a spectacular overbloated but already dead band.

Yeah, it wasn't just the shows - which I didn't really get to see much of - but how the band was presented in the media too. The band came across as an awfully disjointed mess with constant drama. And from the bootlegs I got, it didn't sound the same as it had in the 80s, so I found other bands to listen to.

26 minutes ago, zombux said:

Agree '92 was the weaker year to me but I really liked '93. I'd pick '92 over what we have now though

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Agree '92 was the weaker year to me but I really liked '93. I'd pick '92 over what we have now though

for sure any other year over what we get in the last decade. RIR2011 was the breaking point and since then the "quality" is of utter shit. even the generally hated BH "helium" era was vastly superior to the unlistenable crap we get now.

18 minutes ago, zombux said:

for sure any other year over what we get in the last decade. RIR2011 was the breaking point and since then the "quality" is of utter shit. even the generally hated BH "helium" era was vastly superior to the unlistenable crap we get now.

Yet people attending the shows say they are anything but "unlistenable crap". Did you attend a show lately?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yet people attending the shows say they are anything but "unlistenable crap". Did you attend a show lately?

@zombux

I don't know why you laughed.

Here's excerpt of a review from the last show by @MaskingApathy who was there:

5 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Axl was full of energy and very talkative, as noted by other people in this thread. As far as his voice goes, he sounded great overall. Low and mid voice was very strong and sounded like classic Axl, Mickey isn't really that big of a deal live. For me, watching him run around and interact with the crowd makes up for it, but overall I think he was very strong vocally. Certainly not as bad as people here make it out to be. He stayed on stage more for solos than in the past. He had a few timing issues too but it didn't throw off the band. One of my favorite moments was the little dance he did in the back during the guitar lead before the "so nobody ever told you baby" part in Estranged; another was when he came over to the stage left corner right by my section and waved, everyone near me went crazy. 

I am not denying that his voice has deteriorated since the 90s. It would be kind of strange if it happened. He also sings a bit differently now (less "rasp", but not everyone is as huge fans of that as many here seem to be; personally, I liked his clean and powerful vocals form the 80s more than the gravelly, often primitive vocals of the 90s). But still, nothing to make a lot of drama about. Axl is doing fine (now at least, not so much at the start of the tour....but we have been there before, too).

Edited by SoulMonster

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

@zombux

I don't know why you laughed.

because I'm not stupid to fall for the usual "dude Axel sounds better than ever, there is no Mickey, this is Gunses Roses in their prime and recordings sound totally different than live" argument.

see https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/denial for details.

10 minutes ago, zombux said:

because I'm not stupid to fall for the usual "dude Axel sounds better than ever, there is no Mickey, this is Gunses Roses in their prime and recordings sound totally different than live" argument.

see https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/denial for details.

But that's not what I was saying.

YOU claim his current voice is "unlistenable crap". People at the concerts disagree. That's all.

Edited by SoulMonster