20 years later - why was 2002 tour cancelled?

13 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Oh I really thought brain did the September dates

Wait....I don't want to spread misinformation....i don't know exactly when Frank took over. I just know that Brain was drumming when I saw them at the Hammerstein Ballroom in May, then Frank was drumming for them when I saw them in Detroit in November 2006.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Wait....I don't want to spread misinformation....i don't know exactly when Frank took over. I just know that Brain was drumming when I saw them at the Hammerstein Ballroom in May, then Frank was drumming for them when I saw them in Detroit in November 2006.

I saw GN'R in June 2006 and Frank replaced Brain a couple of shows before if i remembered it right. 

On-Topic: Mental illness. 

On 9/5/2021 at 4:59 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

Brain was offered a spot on the 2009-10 tour, but only to play the CD songs. Frank still would've played the classic songs, which is obviously a stupid arrangement, so Brain declined.

I'm glad I got to see the Brain/Brewer/Buckethead tour a few years ago... and I'm glad Axl is keeping Brains drums tracks on future material.

Brain would have played 1/3 or 1/2 of the set. That's not a bad arrangement at all.

36 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Frank actually played about 2/3 of the European tour I think, his first show was Graspop Metal Meeting. Brain came back for a few shows later in the year, but most of the '06 tour was with Frank.

Right on. I knew someone else would know better than I remembered lol. I just knew I saw them with 2 different drummers in the same year. 

That late 06 show in Detroit was great but it had a LOT to live up to since the last time I'd seen GN'R before that was at the first Hammerstein show. 

It's so weird that I saw GN'R in 91, 92 & 93. Then a 9 year break til I saw them again til 02. Then a 4 year break til I saw them in 06. Got to see them twice that year and figured it would be off to the races, seeing them many times over the coming years. Instead, I got another 4 year break lol

12 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Would it have really been any different to 2001/02? I mean, same line up, likely same problems, likely no album, so likely not all that awesome?! GNR were a joke by this point. I think the 2006 live performances actually got some credibility back but this was not a successful period in the band's history.

I would've loved to see the band do a one off in 2005 with Live 8 then comeback in 2006 like they actually did. It's just a shame that Axl spent most of the 1990s and 2000s on the bench and toured so sporadically.

Prime years absolutely wasted but now we have way past his prime Axl touring non-stop.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:16 PM, lost un the jungle said:

Does anybody believe the band was ready to tour again (RIR Lisbon I think) and because of Buckethead they cancelled? Seems like BS to me, and there is no single lead of the band rehearsing or being called by that time. Also, even Robin or Richard could have filled Bucket spot, since they were doing more AFD songs than CD by this time.

I also don't buy the Brain baby thing. Of course he had a child, but this was not the reason of his departure, otherwise he would have come back soon or later.

There was a pretty cool pic from the era that had Robin, Tommy, and Dizzy (I think), sitting on some stoop.

Haven't seen it in years, but I think the photographer suggested they were doing rehearsals and recordings.

55 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Why? 

Really? Having your new drummer come out to play your old songs while your previous drummer plays all the new songs doesn't seem like a weird idea, even for Axl?

The rotating lineup thing was always a joke around nuGNR but to literally rotate members throughout the show would've been some Spinal Tap shit :lol:

• GNFNR 2

16 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

He knew he was getting a baby but he had to return home sooner (complications, hard trimester, early delivery?). I don't know but it is not uncommon. Frank was already part of the tour, likely because he was intended to take over when Brain had to leave anyway. I see no reason to assume there is something hidden here about Brain's departure.

Man, it is hard for me to believe that Brain being Brain and no Lars Ulrich quit GNR and turn down the amount of money and career he could get being on tour. I know that a baby can change your life, etc, but doesn't happen to often. If wasn't cool with Axl I would say that he was fired, but is not the case. And maybe 99% of us agree that Brain is better than Frank (IMO at least).

In a long interview Brain gave many years ago (a podcast or radio show) he mentioned that was hard to resign the amount of money they were getting and also that this kind of money is not in the industry anymore (talking end 90's/beg 2000's)

10 hours ago, kever20 said:

There was a pretty cool pic from the era that had Robin, Tommy, and Dizzy (I think), sitting on some stoop.

Haven't seen it in years, but I think the photographer suggested they were doing rehearsals and recordings.

Yeah, I remember that. Never seen that photo again. Don’t know if it was Dizzy or Fortus.

On 9/1/2021 at 1:28 PM, mystery said:

Did Axl ever go on Howard Stern again after Stern's producer said this? Also how long was his bodyguard Earl employed by him? I'm surprised he was still there in the early 2000s.

It was Doug Goodstein who said it and Doug was the executive producer of Howard TV.  He hasn't been there for a long time so if Axl only had a problem with him, he could definitely go back on the show (slim chance I know).  Doug and Mike Gange had gone to the MSG show together.  I used to work with those guys in the late 2000's and when I asked them about it Doug felt kinda bad that he might have caused the tour cancellation.  Gange thought it was hilarious. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Packersfan#4#12 said:

I'm just happy that Axl is in a great place now with his band/friends. In the US we definitely don't do enough for mental health awareness which he could have been going through at the time. Whatever it was its his business and not ours. I respect the hell out of him for doing what he's doing now. 

Anybody who went through what Axl went through in their childhood and survived and made such a fortune for themselves in their lives sure are worthy of high respect ^_^ Sure he had a lot of failures and imperfections too but he survived the key test. What I really like about him is that is he is not a Narcissist who tried to make us all deluded that he is some perfect dude; he just let himself walk freely even he knew that he was making errors and imperfections and seemed to say "Well, that's just me; I've done a lot for the music world already and you can't expect something stellar on my end all the time; I'll make errors too"

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 9/12/2021 at 3:27 AM, Screamin' Demon said:

What I really like about him is that is he is not a Narcissist who tried to make us all deluded that he is some perfect dude; he just let himself walk freely even he knew that he was making errors and imperfections and seemed to say "Well, that's just me; I've done a lot for the music world already and you can't expect something stellar on my end all the time; I'll make errors too"

His line was that a whole bunch of other people were out to foil him. So he was trying, but, y'know, managers book tours without telling him, former members badmouth him in the press (as if the gossip columns would offer a balanced view, anyway), even guitar players skidoodle every now and then. He said he was trying to run an operation with integrity, while other people were, according to him, invested in running it to the ground.

One thing I wonder is if it would've made much of a difference even if they had finished that tour. I think things play out the same as they did but maybe the band tours again in 2004/2005 instead of 2006. The album was in a state of limbo even before the 2002 tour and would be for years after.

Edited by mystery