Why is there Plexiglass Around Frank's Cymbals?

I don't think they were there on the NITL tour but I noticed at the show I attended and in videos that there is plexiglass around Frank's cymbals on this tour.  Does anybody know why?  I don't think there have been reports that cymbals have COVID so I assume there is some acoustic reason for it but I can't think of what it could be.

You don’t usually see it in big arena rock shows but you’ll see it all the time in acoustic/small venue shows. 

While I haven’t watched many clips of this tour so far. The ones I did see I thought the stage seemed small. Probably doing it on this tour as the dizzy/frank/Melissa area is much more compressed then in previous tours

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jonah said:

You don’t usually see it in big arena rock shows but you’ll see it all the time in acoustic/small venue shows. 

While I haven’t watched many clips of this tour so far. The ones I did see I thought the stage seemed small. Probably doing it on this tour as the dizzy/frank/Melissa area is much more compressed then in previous tours

I guess that is possible since they took the stairs away from the sides of the drum kit on this setup.  I've seen bands do that around drums in small venues or even on stages set up on the Vegas Strip but I don't think I've ever noticed it in a stadium or arena (that's not to say it has never been done before).

43 minutes ago, rocco said:

Like the others said, it‘s to prevent the cymbals from bleeding into other mics. Same thing with the drummer from Ghost. They also have 2 keyboardists standing next to both sides of the drums, probably that‘s why.

One of them could be Pitman for all we know. :devilshades: