Out Ta Get Me Philadelphia 1988

The back story:

Unfortunately, one thing Guns N’ Roses don’t always respect is the law—or laws of good conduct. As usual, it resulted in a few unfortunate incidents involving men with badges and hats. And of course, intrepid tour manager Goldstein would always come to the rescue. "In Philadelphia, Axl was coming to the show a little late. When Axl and his brother come to pull in, Stuart, Axl's brother, jumps out of the car and pulls the parking cones out of the way so they can get in. He tells the parking guy he’s got the lead singer in the car. The guy tells Stuart to f?!k off. Axl doesn’t want that to happen— he’s one of the most loyal people I've encountered—so he jumps out and gets into it with the parking attendant. It turned into a pretty big scene. So the lead singer’s being taken to jail with a half hour to go before the show.” Goldstein rescued Axl, five minutes to showtime. ”I practically had to blow every cop within a five-mile radius to get him out of jail,” jokes Goldstein. “Stuff like that would happen, and Tom Hamilton and Brad Whitford would come and go, 'Man, you're not making enough money.’”

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4336-1989-02-dd-rip-magazine-aerosmith-meets-guns-n-roses-doug-goldstein

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The back story:

Unfortunately, one thing Guns N’ Roses don’t always respect is the law—or laws of good conduct. As usual, it resulted in a few unfortunate incidents involving men with badges and hats. And of course, intrepid tour manager Goldstein would always come to the rescue. "In Philadelphia, Axl was coming to the show a little late. When Axl and his brother come to pull in, Stuart, Axl's brother, jumps out of the car and pulls the parking cones out of the way so they can get in. He tells the parking guy he’s got the lead singer in the car. The guy tells Stuart to f?!k off. Axl doesn’t want that to happen— he’s one of the most loyal people I've encountered—so he jumps out and gets into it with the parking attendant. It turned into a pretty big scene. So the lead singer’s being taken to jail with a half hour to go before the show.” Goldstein rescued Axl, five minutes to showtime. ”I practically had to blow every cop within a five-mile radius to get him out of jail,” jokes Goldstein. “Stuff like that would happen, and Tom Hamilton and Brad Whitford would come and go, 'Man, you're not making enough money.’”

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4336-1989-02-dd-rip-magazine-aerosmith-meets-guns-n-roses-doug-goldstein

Jesus I had no idea. That's probably the most passionate performance of OTGM we'll ever get, being that he was literally out of jail just minutes before:lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Jesus I had no idea. That's probably the most passionate performance of OTGM we'll ever get, being that he was literally out of jail just minutes before:lol:

Axl ranted about the incident before the song, although he didn't mention that he'd actually been arrested, lol - he only said that the cop had grabbed him and thrown him over the rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucR4ag6k_C0

He briefly mentioned it when GnR played in Philadelphia again in 1991, saying that the last time they'd played there he was in jail across the street.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

imagine some blu ray dics of all this classic gigs. I would sell my kidney and some liver parts

Seriously... Throw together some great past performances... Buy the rights to some of these bootlegs like Philly and remaster them?  I figured they would be on top of that shot now that Slash and Duff are back.. I would give my left nut to be able to buy quality shit from the Appetite tour.. Shows like the Felt Forum, CBGB, the Ritz, Melbourne Australia, Middletown and Philly are just phenomenal.. Imagine some  of those shows remastered? Or shows from that era that we haven't even seen?? Or of there is video from Pasadena shows? That bootleg has Axl's all time best song intros.. He was the fucking man back in the day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The back story:

Oh yep, I remembered this story but I didn't connect the dots, I couldn't remember it was before this show. The intensity during the performance of that song has more sense then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Underhardy said:

What does it for me is how he caught the bra during the first line without having to move a muscle, good throw I guess haha but awesome 

I watched that video for the first time last night and that had me dying. It was a literal perfect throw/no attempt catch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Padme said:

I don't give a fuck.

It was a heck of a show! One of my all time favorites :headbang:

To be honest I wasn't even talking shit about it, I meant it positively, it made the band more kickass:lol:

Speaking of coke, there's also that infamous Texas show just a month later what Slash said was "the worst GNR gig of all time" where Axl said something like "too much cocaine and too many airplanes" to the crowd to address the trainwreck. Maybe @Blackstar has more info about it? I don't remember it that well, but it's another funny story from this timeframe.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

To be honest I wasn't even talking shit about it, I meant it positively, it made the band more kickass:lol:

Speaking of coke, there's also that infamous Texas show just a month later what Slash said was "the worst GNR gig of all time" where Axl said something like "too much cocaine and too many airplanes" to the crowd to address the trainwreck. Maybe @Blackstar has more info about it? I don't remember it that well, but it's another funny story from this timeframe.

Ah, the one with INXS :D I have written about it here: (10) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com)

I don't have that quote from Axl, though, where is it from?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Ah, the one with INXS :D I have written about it here: (10) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com)

I don't have that quote from Axl, though, where is it from?

I listened to that entire shows bootleg but that was ages ago, but I believe he said that to the crowd between songs. And something about being jet lagged. But it's weird, might have seen it written somewhere aswell, might have been Slashs book he definitely wrote about it. Not sure at all now, it's been too long. 

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Thanks 1