Jump to content

Michael Jackson


lilacmess

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, lilacmess said:

His performances of Human Nature during the Dangerous Tour have me completely mesmerized. So beautiful and touching. This strange on point choreography! They're phenomenal!

It's a pity we can't share yt videos.

You can share YouTube videos that aren't GN'R :)

So.....Give In To Me might get dicey due to the (AMAZING) Slash solo, but MJ videos are just fine to share :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

"Human Nature" itself is a very strange song. It's incredibly beautiful ... but kind of haunting. It has this weird, "out of this world" touch that makes it kind of sad to me. I always imagine a very lonely person walking through a city at night. It's the same way Roy Orbison's songs make me feel.

Your description of the song fits perfectly with what I see in this performance. A perfect translation/transformation into choreography.

 

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I think his performance of Human Nature during the This is It rehearsals might be the finest one he did. His voice was sublime. 

 

It is because of that version that I cannot listen to ANY version of Human Nature without saying "BAM!" in the right spot. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I think his performance of Human Nature during the This is It rehearsals might be the finest one he did. His voice was sublime. 

 

This and "Smooth Criminal" are my favorite songs of the entire movie.

This "Human Nature" is pure magic. My favorite part, perhaps also of the entire movie is the one at 3:35 in this video. The way "Tell - them - that - it's - hu -man - na - ture" 100% harmonizes with the way the music goes. It's incredible.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

This and "Smooth Criminal" are my favorite songs of the entire movie.

This "Human Nature" is pure magic. My favorite part, perhaps also of the entire movie is the one at 3:35 in this video. The way "Tell - them - that - it's - hu -man - na - ture" 100% harmonizes with the way the music goes. It's incredible.

It is my favorite part as well. Magical. 

Haven't paid enough attention to Smooth Criminal (This is It) it seems, because I can't recall right now.

Will watch immediately. 😀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Michael Jackson fans seem very divided on This Is It. Many don't like watching it because of the overall shape Michael was in, and others feel like watching the movie only supports those who make money off of his death. 

While I hear parts of those arguments, I absolutely love the movie and I've seen it tons of times. I hate the fact that he's gone for many reasons but at the same time, I really enjoy seeing the magic of what could have been with those This Is It shows. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Michael Jackson fans seem very divided on This Is It. Many don't like watching it because of the overall shape Michael was in, and others feel like watching the movie only supports those who make money off of his death. 

While I hear parts of those arguments, I absolutely love the movie and I've seen it tons of times. I hate the fact that he's gone for many reasons but at the same time, I really enjoy seeing the magic of what could have been with those This Is It shows. 

I definitely have more bad feelings about it than I did when I first saw it in cinemas. Everything that came out about it was too much for me to ignore. I do still enjoy his performances though, it's kinda hard to watch him and not be mesmerised haha. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

Not much else I can add that others haven't already been said. Big fan. I think my favourite "lesser known" song would be Is It Scary. I love that it seems to be a "Halloween song" or typical Thriller type track that one may associate with MJ at first but develops into having an obviously deeper meaning. Really powerful and chilling towards the end imo. 

It's a masterpiece. I think, along with Billie Jean, his absolute best.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

It is my favorite part as well. Magical. 

Haven't paid enough attention to Smooth Criminal (This is It) it seems, because I can't recall right now.

Will watch immediately. 😀

If I remember correctly and if you can find a non-edited version of it on YouTube, he actually sang most of it live during this rehearsal. It's one of the few songs that hasn't been dubbed-over, so it's actually mostly his live vocals which is amazing - he never sang the song live in concert and to see him do it at 50 plus do the whole dance routine. It's this performance that always amazes me how, well, he still had it. The choreo is on point. He didn't give it his all but what he gave was already enough he was still sharper than the background dancers.

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Michael Jackson fans seem very divided on This Is It. Many don't like watching it because of the overall shape Michael was in, and others feel like watching the movie only supports those who make money off of his death. 

While I hear parts of those arguments, I absolutely love the movie and I've seen it tons of times. I hate the fact that he's gone for many reasons but at the same time, I really enjoy seeing the magic of what could have been with those This Is It shows. 

I too am divided about it. His shape is shocking, he was so fragile. The movie makes me a bit sad, because one thing about Michael's death is: it really did not have to happen. Out of every scenario of what could have happened on June 25th, 99% of them would result in him still being with us. He had a doctor, if that guy would have been even remotely competent, even if only with re-animating him he would have lasted a lot longer than he did. He could have been saved. I still don't understand it and I don't know how to explain it.

Like, for example, Elvis: IIRC Elvis died alone and was found when he was already gone. Nobody could have helped him because nobody knew about it. Michael wasn't alone and he wasn't gone, I think in 9 out of 10 scenarios he could have survived this, if you get what I mean.

But back to "This Is It", I loved seeing his vision for the shows. It would have been nothing less than epic. I always feel shitty and selfish saying this, but I just wish he could have at least done one show. Just to see what he wanted to create for the fans and for his children.

Oh and by the way, I don't watch the movie at all because it makes me sad and angry, but I do watch clips of it. I haven't seen it in its entirety since probably 2012.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

If I remember correctly and if you can find a non-edited version of it on YouTube, he actually sang most of it live during this rehearsal. It's one of the few songs that hasn't been dubbed-over, so it's actually mostly his live vocals which is amazing - he never sang the song live in concert and to see him do it at 50 plus do the whole dance routine. It's this performance that always amazes me how, well, he still had it. The choreo is on point. He didn't give it his all but what he gave was already enough he was still sharper than the background dancers.

I too am divided about it. His shape is shocking, he was so fragile. The movie makes me a bit sad, because one thing about Michael's death is: it really did not have to happen. Out of every scenario of what could have happened on June 25th, 99% of them would result in him still being with us. He had a doctor, if that guy would have been even remotely competent, even if only with re-animating him he would have lasted a lot longer than he did. He could have been saved. I still don't understand it and I don't know how to explain it.

Like, for example, Elvis: IIRC Elvis died alone and was found when he was already gone. Nobody could have helped him because nobody knew about it. Michael wasn't alone and he wasn't gone, I think in 9 out of 10 scenarios he could have survived this, if you get what I mean.

But back to "This Is It", I loved seeing his vision for the shows. It would have been nothing less than epic. I always feel shitty and selfish saying this, but I just wish he could have at least done one show. Just to see what he wanted to create for the fans and for his children.

Oh and by the way, I don't watch the movie at all because it makes me sad and angry, but I do watch clips of it. I haven't seen it in its entirety since probably 2012.

You're exactly correct on the Elvis situation and the difference with Michael. I agree that he should have made it through that. 

I also feel the same way about the London shows. I really wish he'd have been able to do one at the very least so his kids could have seen it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Michael Jackson fans seem very divided on This Is It. Many don't like watching it because of the overall shape Michael was in, and others feel like watching the movie only supports those who make money off of his death. 

While I hear parts of those arguments, I absolutely love the movie and I've seen it tons of times. I hate the fact that he's gone for many reasons but at the same time, I really enjoy seeing the magic of what could have been with those This Is It shows. 

Yes. But I'm not listening to those. I don't let what happened shortly after cloud my opinion on the movie. What I see is Michael in his element. Doing what he did best. Creating and performing. Enjoying to be back on stage again. Getting a glimpse of the master at work, wishing I could have put to use at least 1 of the 20 tickets I had. This truly is the greatest show that never was. And it would be a crime if that footage never would have gotten released.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

I don't understand how anybody could not see what the fuss is all about. Never before or since has one person embodied such supernatural levels of talent in so many different areas. I know we all have different tastes yada yada yada, but how anyone can fail to see MJs otherworldly talent honestly baffles me.

His talent is obvious, but I think it’s hyperbole to say “Never before or since has one person embodied such supernatural levels of talent in so many different areas”  I’m not a prince fan or a Stevie wonder fan, but I can see both the same as MJ. He was a talented guy no doubting that. 

This might seem dumb, but what is his music? Is it pop or R&B or both? 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

His talent is obvious, but I think it’s hyperbole to say “Never before or since has one person embodied such supernatural levels of talent in so many different areas”  I’m not a prince fan or a Stevie wonder fan, but I can see both the same as MJ. He was a talented guy no doubting that. 

This might seem dumb, but what is his music? Is it pop or R&B or both? 

 

 

 

Yes. I kinda agree. That's why "One of..." is a nice thing to put in front. You don't need to use hyperbole then. As Elizabeth Taylor said, it's "pop, rock and soul" and RnB, of course. ;)

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. But I'm not listening to those. I don't let what happened shortly after cloud my opinion on the movie. What I see is Michael in his element. Doing what he did best. Creating and performing. Enjoying to be back on stage again. Getting a glimpse of the master at work, wishing I could have put to use at least 1 of the 20 tickets I had. This truly is the greatest show that never was. And it would be a crime if that footage never would have gotten released.

I totally agree. I love the film and watch it quite frequently. I was just saying that I can understand why others feel differently. 

For me, I had a weird history with it. I was looking forward to it so much, then a few days before release I got really worried that I wouldn't be able to handle watching it. 

The first time I saw it in the theater, I was super nervous right up til Michael emerged and started Wanna Be Starting Something. A huge grin went across my face and stayed glued there through the whole movie. 

I saw it again the very next day and had the exact opposite reaction. I cried through nearly the whole movie. Just from being sad over how he was tested, the fact that he was gone and the fact that he had so much more to give. 

When it came to blu-ray, I watched it again and had more of a reaction like the first time. I watch it at least once per yet and nearly every viewing is more of a celebration of him than anything. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I totally agree. I love the film and watch it quite frequently. I was just saying that I can understand why others feel differently. 

For me, I had a weird history with it. I was looking forward to it so much, then a few days before release I got really worried that I wouldn't be able to handle watching it. 

The first time I saw it in the theater, I was super nervous right up til Michael emerged and started Wanna Be Starting Something. A huge grin went across my face and stayed glued there through the whole movie. 

I saw it again the very next day and had the exact opposite reaction. I cried through nearly the whole movie. Just from being sad over how he was tested, the fact that he was gone and the fact that he had so much more to give. 

When it came to blu-ray, I watched it again and had more of a reaction like the first time. I watch it at least once per yet and nearly every viewing is more of a celebration of him than anything. 

Yeah. I had a matter of fact history with it. I had 15 concert tickets for 2009. So I vowed to watch it 15 times in the cinema. I felt that was something I needed to do. 5 times in the first 3 days. And another 9 in the next almost 2 weeks. On the first 2 days I watched it back to back. 1 time I was totally alone in the theater. So I had my own party, singing along, pretending I was at the concert. The last time I had to drive to a town in Germany, because they cancelled the last local showing. Once I had the BR, I didn't watch it that often. Maybe once a year. Until I didn't really watch it anymore, as I kept wanting to watch it, but kept putting it off. The thing that always gets me is the freeze frame at end of Man in the mirror. That somehow is when reality sets in and almost always breaks my heart. The last time last October I saw it, after a couple year break and I really tried to watch it with open eyes again, to maybe see some of the criticism and things some fans project on it. But I don't see it. I see a Michael that was having fun and loving what he was doing. And thus I love the movie even more, no matter the tragedy around it.  And yes, it is a celebration.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. I had a matter of fact history with it. I had 15 concert tickets for 2009. So I vowed to watch it 15 times in the cinema. I felt that was something I needed to do. 5 times in the first 3 days. And another 9 in the next almost 2 weeks. On the first 2 days I watched it back to back. 1 time I was totally alone in the theater. So I had my own party, singing along, pretending I was at the concert. The last time I had to drive to a town in Germany, because they cancelled the last local showing. Once I had the BR, I didn't watch it that often. Maybe once a year. Until I didn't really watch it anymore, as I kept wanting to watch it, but kept putting it off. The thing that always gets me is the freeze frame at end of Man in the mirror. That somehow is when reality sets in and almost always breaks my heart. The last time last October I saw it, after a couple year break and I really tried to watch it with open eyes again, to maybe see some of the criticism and things some fans project on it. But I don't see it. I see a Michael that was having fun and loving what he was doing. And thus I love the movie even more, no matter the tragedy around it.  And yes, it is a celebration.

That's awesome that you saw it so many times in the theater. I agree about the freeze frame at the end. The "Love Lives Forever" thing always helps keep me positive though. 

I do everything I can to spread positivity surrounding his legacy and memory. That "love lives forever" bit always reminds me that what I do is important. I couldn't do anything to help him while he was here, but I can absolutely do a lot to help him now that he isn't. 

@lilacmessto get back to the music some, one of my favorite MJ tracks over the past 5 years or so has been "Much Too Soon". A beautiful song with an amazing vocal. I didn't even know about it until @Towelietipped me off to it 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my favourite MJ tracks is Best Of Joy, just has a special place to me seeing as it was the final full vocal he recorded. A beautiful one at that. I really want to hear the demo for that one. It apparently has an extra verse that was cut from the released remix.

Also agree about Much Too Soon, very nice track. I think they could have left it a bit more basic instead of adding stuff like they did but I still enjoy it.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

One of my favourite MJ tracks is Best Of Joy, just has a special place to me seeing as it was the final full vocal he recorded. A beautiful vocal at that.

Also agree about Much Too Soon, very nice track. I think they could have left it a bit more basic instead of adding stuff like they did but I still enjoy it.

Being a big Elvis fan, there's a certain era of Elvis that I absolutely love. 1969 - 1971 is "my" era of Elvis. The stuff he did in the studio in Nashville in 1969 sounds exactly like Much Too Soon, so I think that's why I'm so drawn to it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the lesser known ones I really love is "A place with no name". A snippet of it was released just a day or two after he died and it just was heavenly. And the full thing, even though it's not an original song, is just great. That bridge is to die for. Also another song that is highly underrated is the reworked version of "Love never felt so good". But the Michael solo one. Not the one with Timberlake, which is absolutely pointless with him just aping Michael's lyrics. They could have at least written new lyrics for him.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

One of the lesser known ones I really love is "A place with no name". A snippet of it was released just a day or two after he died and it just was heavenly. And the full thing, even though it's not an original song, is just great. That bridge is to die for. Also another song that is highly underrated is the reworked version of "Love never felt so good". But the Michael solo one. Not the one with Timberlake, which is absolutely pointles with him just aping Michael's lyrics. They could have at least written new lyrics for him.

A Place With No Name (Original Version) is one of my favourite tracks that released after his death. I also agree about LNFSG, the reworked version is how this kind of thing should be done (Reworking it whilst keeping it true to the original). John McClain did a wonderful job on both that and Behind The Mask.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

All songs which featured on the posthumous albums mostly leaked in some fashion years before the release. Do you know where your children are? Slave to the rhythm and more, they all sound incredible to what was released. 

Do you guys think an impersonator did the Michael record? (lol)

Threatened is a banger. 

I'm in agreement that most the remixes are average at best, the worst thing is that they disregard any of the work MJ did and just totally redo it. This would be fine if it was presented as remixes but it's being presented as the main versions and as MJ's work. The unreleased 2010 remix of DYKWYCA is much better in this regard than the released one.

Yeah, Breaking News, Monster and Keep Your Head Up are indeed sung by someone else. All the other songs on there are MJ though.

Edited by Jw224
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Being a big Elvis fan, there's a certain era of Elvis that I absolutely love. 1969 - 1971 is "my" era of Elvis. The stuff he did in the studio in Nashville in 1969 sounds exactly like Much Too Soon, so I think that's why I'm so drawn to it. 

I love that era of Elvis also. I just wanted to interject about Elvis dying alone. I guess it's the semantics of proximity really. Technically, Elvis was alone in that he was the only one in the bathroom. But, his girlfriend Ginger was in the bedroom adjacent to the bathroom and there were people downstairs. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I'm in agreement that most the remixes are average at best, the worst thing is that they disregard any of the work MJ did and just totally redo it. This would be fine if it was presented as remixes but it's being presented as the main versions and as MJ's work. The unreleased 2010 remix of DYKWYCA is much better in this regard than the released one.

Yeah, Breaking News, Monster and Keep Your Head Up are indeed sung by someone else. All the other songs on there are MJ though.

Yeah. Also the leaked version (not the one on the album) of Xscape is way better. But I liked the approach. The reworked songs on one disc and the, for the most part, original ones on the other. That's the way it should be done. For the most part I also prefer the originals. And yes, DYKWYCA are, the one not on the album, is indeed better.

As for Michael. That pissed me so of, that I never bought the album. It's a shame about Monster though, I like the song. And I somewhat can hear him inside the mix somewhere. Of course, I will never know if it is wishful thinking. If they had fragments that were augemented by the faker or if everything is fake. Considering Cascio was one of the people most close to Michael, it seems hard to believe.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...