Michael Jackson

lilacmess

11 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I love that era of Elvis also. I just wanted to interject about Elvis dying alone. I guess it's the semantics of proximity really. Technically, Elvis was alone in that he was the only one in the bathroom. But, his girlfriend Ginger was in the bedroom adjacent to the bathroom and there were people downstairs. 

Right, but he was alone in that room for roughly 2+ hours when he passed. The idea from the original post was that he was unfortunately long gone by the time Ginger checked on him around 1:30pm. As opposed to Michael who had people with him and perhaps could have been saved. 

• Like 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

Right, but he was alone in that room for roughly 2+ hours when he passed. The idea from the original post was that he was unfortunately long gone by the time Ginger checked on him around 1:30pm. As opposed to Michael who had people with him and perhaps could have been saved. 

Well. Truth be told, Murray also checked on him too late. He was long gone.

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

Well. Truth be told, Murray also checked on him too late. He was long gone.

That very well may be true. I honestly never looked into the whole time line of Michael's actual day of death. I've done a lot of research surrounding Elvis' time line for 08/16 but I just haven't looked into it with Michael. 

30 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. Also the leaked version (not the one on the album) of Xscape is way better. But I liked the approach. The reworked songs on one disc and the, for the most part, original ones on the other. That's the way it should be done. For the most part I also prefer the originals. And yes, DYKWYCA are, the one not on the album, is indeed better.

As for Michael. That pissed me so of, that I never bought the album. It's a shame about Monster though, I like the song. And I somewhat can hear him inside the mix somewhere. Of course, I will never know if it is wishful thinking. If they had fragments that were augemented by the faker or if everything is fake. Considering Cascio was one of the people most close to Michael, it seems hard to believe.

Agreed on the leaked version of Xscape. The leaked version is much more dynamic and sounds more engaging as a result, even though it's a lq mp3. TBH most of the released original versions sound like trash, bad mastering and barely mixed. Chicago being in mono is indicative of the laziness presented when it comes to the presentation of the original versions. Seems like they were just thrown on without much care.

Yeah, it's honestly still something I'm annoyed about, the fact that they are still out there and people are listening to them and thinking it's MJ is really saddening to me. Monster and the rest of the tracks that the Estate bought from the cascios actually have MJ words and adlibs pasted throughout the songs to make them sound more like MJ. Monster is probably the worst out of the three released, with MJ saying "Why", "You", "Me" and an "Ing" sound from the song Invincible pasted in there. Kinda insane how much effort they went with copy and pasting.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That very well may be true. I honestly never looked into the whole time line of Michael's actual day of death. I've done a lot of research surrounding Elvis' time line for 08/16 but I just haven't looked into it with Michael. 

The fucker had one job. To make sure that Michael wouldn't stop breathing while under Propofol. But instead of monitoring him, he walked out to make a phone call and then screwed up in every possible way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

True. I saw an interview with one of Elvis' nurses who was also a good friend. She witnessed the resuscitation attempts at  the hospital and it was obvious he had been dead for a long period of time. But they had to try. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jw224 said:

Aw man, I never had the chance to see him live, Bad tour especially must have been epic to see. 

I don't know that I've ever shared this story here but I'll try to make it brief:

My mom got tickets for her and I. It was at The Palace of Auburn Hills, so it was an arena show instead of those huge stadium shows you always see footage of. 

On top of that, she got side stage tickets. So yeah, we were on the side of the stage but we were WAY closer than a lot of people in the arena. 

Anyway, here's the meat of the story: when he started Wanna Be Starting Something, he pointed in our general direction. I fainted instantly. Like one of those people you see on Michael Jackson concert film. BOOM, I went right down as soon as he pointed in our general direction. 

I woke up in the first aid unit of the arena near the start of Another Part of Me. I didn't know it at the time, but I only missed Heartbreak Hotel. They made sure I was fine, had my mom sign some waivers and let us go back to our seats. 

When we got back to our seats, I sat down for the remainder of the show, holding on the both handles on my chair lol. I could see in between the two people standing in front of me, so it was fine. I *almost* stood up when Billie Jean started but stayed sitting just in case LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't know that I've ever shared this story here but I'll try to make it brief:

My mom got tickets for her and I. It was at The Palace of Auburn Hills, so it was an arena show instead of those huge stadium shows you always see footage of. 

On top of that, she got side stage tickets. So yeah, we were on the side of the stage but we were WAY closer than a lot of people in the arena. 

Anyway, here's the meat of the story: when he started Wanna Be Starting Something, he pointed in our general direction. I fainted instantly. Like one of those people you see on Michael Jackson concert film. BOOM, I went right down as soon as he pointed in our general direction. 

I woke up in the first aid unit of the arena near the start of Another Part of Me. I didn't know it at the time, but I only missed Heartbreak Hotel. They made sure I was fine, had my mom sign some waivers and let us go back to our seats. 

When we got back to our seats, I sat down for the remainder of the show, holding on the both handles on my chair lol. I could see in between the two people standing in front of me, so it was fine. I *almost* stood up when Billie Jean started but stayed sitting just in case LOL. 

:lol::lol: wow. This is the first time I'm hearing about someone fainting because Michael pointed at them. Usually it's the crappy condtions. The heat. The exhaustion. The not drinking. The standing for hours being crushed. Well. Michael was like no other. ;)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Hahaha that's amazing. At least you made it back and weren't carried out and had to leave like the many others that can be seen in his concert footage 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

:lol::lol: wow. This is the first time I'm hearing about someone fainting because Michael pointed at them. Usually it's the crappy condtions. The heat. The exhaustion. The not drinking. The standing for hours being crushed. Well. Michael was like no other. ;)

Yep and he didn't even point right at us. He pointed in our general direction haha. The show was in October and in an arena so it wasn't too hot. I was also 12, so I wasn't drinking. In short....no excuse other than I was just that excited haha

Just now, Jw224 said:

Hahaha that's amazing. At least you made it back and weren't carried out and had to leave like the many others that can be seen in his concert footage 😁

Haha, yeah, that's a plus. My mom said I just fell against the person next to us. I'm glad we didn't have aisle seats or I could went for a tumble down the steps! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

The night before my first Gn'R concert (Vienna 1992) I was so excited I hardly slept all night. I was 13.  😃 

Edited to add:

@RussTCB Don't you overload! Haha.

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 5:26 PM, lilacmess said:

Oh, that's great!

IIrc @Towelieis also a big Tori Amos fan. She has been my favorite artist forever.

In the last few days I had a lot of fun with 2000 Watts. Constantly listening to it, dancing around the house like crazy. More than I should have. Another spin always seemed like a good idea. :lol:

What's your opinion on the Album Invincible?

I certainly wasn't ready in 2001, but find it more appealing now. It's imho such a strange mixture of sweat Pop melodies, sometimes even bordering on kitsch and something dark, even disturbing. Musicially there is always something interesting going on.

It's not one of my great loves, but I like some of it and keep coming back because I find it intrigueing.

The Album cover is fantastic. You can get lost in it.

I would also be interesed in everyones favorite less known/underrated songs. I'd give them more attention. 😊

Alot of people like 2000 Watts, but have never liked it myself, but gravitated towards 'Shout' which was a b side on invincible single Cry. Definitely think invincible was underrated at the time. My favourite MJ less known songs are Cheater, Slave to the Rytheym (tricky remix), If you don't Love Me, and Abortion. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 6:10 AM, Jw224 said:

I think my favourite "lesser known" song would be Is It Scary. I love that it seems to be a "Halloween song" or typical Thriller type track that one may associate with MJ at first but develops into having an obviously deeper meaning. Really powerful and chilling towards the end imo. 

Love Is It Scary, and Ghosts and the sound effects of what he's singing about in the moment. It has a cinematic feel to it, if that makes sense?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

Alot of people like 2000 Watts, but have never liked it myself, but gravitated towards 'Shout' which was a b side on invincible single Cry. Definitely think invincible was underrated at the time. My favourite MJ less known songs are Cheater, Slave to the Rytheym (tricky remix), If you don't Love Me, and Abortion. 

I haven't heard most of the songs you mention. Will do. 😊

I realky didn't expect to find a bunch of hardcore superfans here. It is nice, though. I now almost feel unworthy having started this thread. 😅

Edited by lilacmess
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Love Is It Scary, and Ghosts and the sound effects of what he's singing about in the moment. It has a cinematic feel to it, if that makes sense?

Yeah Both Is It Scary and Ghosts do have a cinematic vibe at the start, IIS especially throughout. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

I don't mind "2000 Watts". If we're talking Invincible, I have a much bigger problem with the length of some songs. "Heartbreaker" is ruined by it's length, I mean the song itself is fine but it's around 2 minutes too long which makes me not want to listen to it. "Unbreakable" is a personal top 10 MJ track for me, but it also could have very well ended around the 4:45 minute mark.

My favorite lesser known songs have to be "2 Bad" and "We've Had Enough" and I agree, "Is It Scary" and "Ghosts" are fantastic.

EDIT: I've always been wondering: Am I the only one thinking "Unbreakable" and "Invincible" sound incredibly similar?

Edited by TheGeneral

39 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

I haven't heard most of the songs you mention. Will do. 😊

I realky didn't expect to find a bunch of hardcore superfans here. It is nice, though. I now almost feel unworthy having started this thread. 😅

I'm so glad you did! I've avoided discussing Michael on here for years because I assumed things would go south quickly. I'm very happy to see and read so much positive discussion :)

4 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

I don't mind "2000 Watts". If we're talking Invincible, I have a much bigger problem with the length of some songs. "Heartbreaker" is ruined by it's length, I mean the song itself is fine but it's around 2 minutes too long which makes me not want to listen to it. "Unbreakable" is a personal top 10 MJ track for me, but it also could have very well ended around the 4:45 minute mark.

My favorite lesser known songs have to be "2 Bad" and "We've Had Enough" and I agree, "Is It Scary" and "Ghosts" are fantastic.

EDIT: I've always been wondering: Am I the only one thinking "Unbreakable" and "Invincible" sound incredibly similar?

Length of tracks is definitely a problem with Invincible. I love 2 Bad as well btw! 

Also, I agree on Unbreakable and Invincible. I love them both but they are similar. 

• Like 2

A few of the Invincible songs blend together for me. I honestly think MJ's idea to change direction with the project and start again was a mistake. We could have gotten songs like APWNN or Chicago but ended up with mostly mediocre material that Darkchild produced (IMO). I know that MJ always took the current trends and elevated them to his standard but I think in this instance his documented total lack of interest in the project caused it to not be as great as it could have been. 

Don't get me wrong I don't hate Invincible but compared to anything that had come before it wasn't the best.

End of rant :lol:

Also yes 2Bad is a tune.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm so glad you did! I've avoided discussing Michael on here for years because I assumed things would go south quickly. I'm very happy to see and read so much positive discussion :)

I agree, same here. Michael was somebody that everybody has an opinion on, whether you know alot about him or have just seen a picture of him. Most people attack him on his looks, his behavior or the allegations and I'm glad this isn't the case here - and I'm also glad that there's more MJ fans here than I expected :lol:

So thank you, @lilacmess for uniting us :lol:

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Same haha, this thread has worked out nicely and it's cool there's a few us here discussing.

• Like 1

Alot of people like 2000 Watts, but have never liked it myself, but gravitated towards 'Shout' which was a b side on invincible single Cry.

Yep. I don't like it either. I don't understand the fascination by some with it. It's a bit dull and too long. Always thought it was a shame that Shout was left off for that god awful You are my life. Damn kids. ;)

• Like 1