Michael Jackson

lilacmess

7 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

Well, tonight I'm going to watch Moonwalker for the first time. 😊

There's a lot of good things in Moonwalker but it's definitely got its issues. Watching it in pieces works much better for me than watching it straight through. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilacmess said:

Honestly, my expectations aren't that high.

I expect to like it better than poking sticks in my eyes though. 😂 I mean, I know there's got to be 'Come Togheter' in there somewhere.

It's fine if like Russ said you approach it as a bunch of mini vignettes, It's not a movie at all so as long as you understand that you should be fine. I just have PTSD from when I saw it as a kid at the movies and it just made no sense at all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dazey said:

It's fine if like Russ said you approach it as a bunch of mini vignettes, It's not a movie at all so as long as you understand that you should be fine. I just have PTSD from when I saw it as a kid at the movies and it just made no sense at all.

Geez. What was not to love then? Man in the mirror live with cinema sound. A few, at least for me at the time, seldom seen snippets of old Jackson 5 days, the first airing of the Leave me alone video, the Speed demon dance sequence, the overlong Smooth Criminal video and a kick ass performance of Come together in a live setting. Everything you love Michael Jackson for. And you were told from the beginning that it's a movie like no other. ;) I loved it back in '88 and it was the first movie I saw twice at the cinema. Really, fuck the haters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

In my mind I always view BOTD as EP and never think of the remixes. Love all the new songs.

My favorite is 'Morphine'. It's one of the better songs about drug addiction out there and musicially haunting. Very bleak at the end. "You just sit around. Just talking nothing. Just taking morphine."

'Is It Scary' was mentioned here many times. Rightfully so. These must be amongst his best lyrics for sure.

I feel 'Morphine' and 'Is It Scary' are some of MJ's more personal songs.

And MJ = King of Bridges!

'Blood on the Danceflor' is a killer track. Very underrated. Love the video. Burgundy red suite, burgundy red lipstick, french plait, sitting on a chair. Truly bold and unique.

Really like 'Ghosts'. And like 'Superfly Sister' too.

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 9:15 AM, lilacmess said:

This has nothing to do with anything.  Beta just shared a picture of MJ and Paul from Say Say Say. Made me think of this thread. 😀

So I just watched the video. It's been a while.

Say Say Say is such a jam. I've always loved that song. A couple years back, I picked up a 12" single that had a remix of sorts on it. 

It's basically the same track with with the alternating vocals on the verses reversed. So where Paul usually sings then first line, then Michael and so on. The version on the 12" single has Michael singing first, then Paul and so on. 

It's nothing Earth shaking but it's near to hear each of them sing different lines than I've heard my whole life. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lilacmess said:

Yesterday I was at a somewhat hip pizza place in the small town where I'm living. During the hour I spent there they played 3 MJ songs AND Welcome to the Jungle. 😀👍

nice. I went to a shawarma place called "The Magician" many times and all they ever play is blues. One constant and imo the best feature of the place is that one of the older guys there asks you what do you want in your shawarma very calmly but then he gets all serious and shit and asks in a super loud voice "EGGPLANT?!" while looking you straight in the eye trying to anticipate the answer as if it was the most important decision you'll ever make. I think it's sweet and admirable that he seems to really value eggplant and now I value eggplant as well and cherish it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lilacmess said:

Yesterday I was at a somewhat hip pizza place in the small town where I'm living. During the hour I spent there they played 3 MJ songs AND Welcome to the Jungle. 😀👍

I'm not sure if it's because I live in Detroit and the Motown connection but I constantly hear MJ in public here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lilacmess said:

I'm glad Bad gets some love. It often gets overlooked even by fans.

It's one of my least favorite songs on that album and I'm not even sure why. Whenever I'm actually listening to it, I love it. I just never think to put it on. 

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

It's one of my least favorite songs on that album and I'm not even sure why. Whenever I'm actually listening to it, I love it. I just never think to put it on. 

Oh, it's one of my least favorite on that album too, but that album is insane! So many hits. One fabulous pop song after the other! It's my favorite MJ album for its consitency.

My Bad song ranking: 1. Dirty Diana 2. Smooth Criminal 3. Man In The Mirror 4. Liberian Girl  5. Another Part of Me 6. Speed Demon 7. Leave Me Alone 8. Bad 9. IJCSLY 10. The Way You Make Me Feel 11. Just Good Friends

MJ fans, please join in to the Bad discussion/ranking. I'd love to read your thoughts.

1 hour ago, lilacmess said:

Oh, it's one of my least favorite on that album too, but that album is insane! So many hits. One fabulous pop song after the other! It's my favorite MJ album for its consitency.

My Bad song ranking: 1. Dirty Diana 2. Smooth Criminal 3. Man In The Mirror 4. Liberian Girl  5. Another Part of Me 6. Speed Demon 7. Leave Me Alone 8. Bad 9. IJCSLY 10. The Way You Make Me Feel 11. Just Good Friends

MJ fans, please join in to the Bad discussion/ranking. I'd love to read your thoughts.

OK, I'll get in on this:

1. Man In The Mirror

2. The Way You Make Me Feel

3. Streetwalker

4. Smooth Criminal

5. Another Part of Me

6. Dirty Diana

7. Leave Me Alone

8. Liberian Girl 

9. IJCSLY

10. Speed Demon

11. Bad

12. Just Good Friends

Yes, I know Streetwalker isn't part of the official album, but it is in my heart lol

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2021 at 7:22 PM, lilacmess said:

MJ fans, please join in to the Bad discussion/ranking.

Your wish is my comand, although this is hard. Really hard.

1. Bad

2. Man in the Mirror

3. Smooth Criminal

4. The Way You Make Me Feel

5. Another Part of Me

6. I Just Can't Stop Loving You

7. Liberian Girl

8. Dirty Diana

9. Leave Me Alone

10. Speed Demon

11. Just Good Friends

Let me add that the first 9 are really tough to rate. I really love them all. 10 and 11 are among my least favorite MJ songs, so they weren't that hard. But I still like them.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:30 PM, RussTCB said:

Yes, I know Streetwalker isn't part of the official album, but it is in my heart lol

It's such a brilliant song. Would be Top 3 from this album. Amazing that it evolved into "Dangerous", which I also love.

Also, everyone who hasn't already should give a listen to "Fly Away". This and "Streetwalker" would have made this fantastic album even better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mendez said:

MJ stans are gonna flame me, but the Chicago rewprk that was released on Xscape is a banger. The original is also a banger

I'm not the biggest expert on all the tracks prior to his death and what they ended up as on the posthumous albums. I actually need to look into that more 

EDIT- if it weren't for @Towelie, wouldn't even know Much Too Soon which is now one of my all time favorite Michael songs. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not the biggest expert on all the tracks prior to his death and what they ended up as on the posthumous albums. I actually need to look into that more 

EDIT- if it weren't for @Towelie, wouldn't even know Much Too Soon which is now one of my all time favorite Michael songs. 

well i hope you at least check that one out, the refrain is very modern sounding IMO even on the original

• Like 1