A realization I had - a difference between "classic" GNR and "Chinese era" GNR I didn't think about before

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

The verses are complete rasp in ITW🤣 mickey and clean are also two very different things. Not sure what you're on about. We can agree to disagree on it being a good song though that is purely taste, like I said it's not a song everyone would enjoy.

As for the vocal, I meant the vocal he recorded all those years ago, didn't say it was a new vocal take. 

Not sure why you keep saying that Axl is releasing songs as a joke. At what point in time has he ever come across as a guy that releases music that he doesn't 100% stand behind. He 1000% believes that Absurd is a brilliant song.

Hardskool, he probably didn't re-record his vocals, but we'll have to see I suppose! I hope he did! At least with Absurd he can pull it off live!

I think self-confidence in his work is a major part of his lack of output.

He wants to be seen as some meticulous perfectionist writing epic masterpieces - yet he's churning out sub-par garbage like If The World, Riad, Scraped, Silkworms, Catcher etc and he is very sensitive to the criticism that he deep down knows is going to come. 

He knew it was coming for Scraped.

46 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Has it ever occurred to you that Axl means stuff he says? I don't understand this narrative you're presenting in which he just lies and makes excuses about everything. The vocals on Madagascar are clearly intentional for the song. Do you think he sang it like that accidentally? People not liking them is totally subjective. It's pretty clear that Axl has always enjoyed Silkworms, and Slash and Duff clearly enjoy playing it. It's not that deep.

I don;t think he means what he says.  That's the point.  I think he lies - over and over.  

Lol at 'three albums'.

He's 'enjoyed' Silkworms because it's one of 4 he has left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Has it ever occurred to you that Axl means stuff he says? I don't understand this narrative you're presenting in which he just lies and makes excuses about everything. The vocals on Madagascar are clearly intentional for the song. Do you think he sang it like that accidentally? People not liking them is totally subjective. It's pretty clear that Axl has always enjoyed Silkworms, and Slash and Duff clearly enjoy playing it. It's not that deep.

I've always said that I think Axl believes what he says when he's saying it. I don't think he ever says something knowing it won't end up happening, if that makes sense. I think he always has these grand plans that don't work out or he doesn't follow through on. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lilacmess said:

Following the recent shows on Youtube some of the humor and lightheartedness seems to have returned.

Axl definitely seems like he is feeling great, with his jokes and stuff on stage.  I remember in 2011 and 2012 at the shows I caught he barely talked at all, just when introducing the band, a couple of thanks yous, and a "fuck authority" sentiment at the end :lol:  Maybe having Slash and Duff, his old comrades in musical arms back, has helped with that

I just hope that translated when it comes to the next album

13 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've always said that I think Axl believes what he says when he's saying it. I don't think he ever says something knowing it won't end up happening, if that makes sense. I think he always has these grand plans that don't work out or he doesn't follow through on. 

Funnily enough, in 2013 he said something along the lines of wanting to release Silkworms as the next single.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Funnily enough, in 2013 he said something along the lines of wanting to release Silkworms as the next single.

Yeah, he's always been pretty consistent with that. He got asked about it a few times and said it was gonna be on the next album. Obviously it was a surprise to me when they played it but looking back he's pretty much been saying it is gonna happen so it's not all that surprising. 

Edited by Jw224
  • ABSUЯD 1

16 hours ago, Pele said:

He wants to be seen as some meticulous perfectionist writing epic masterpieces - yet he's churning out sub-par garbage like If The World, Riad, Scraped, Silkworms, Catcher etc and he is very sensitive to the criticism that he deep down knows is going to come. 

I don;t think he means what he says.  That's the point.  I think he lies - over and over.  

Lol at 'three albums'.

Yes, like you said, he didn't record the vocals on Madagascar the way he did intentionally, he actually did it accidentally and then said that later to save face. At least try to make points that make sense.

4 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Yes, like you said, he didn't record the vocals on Madagascar the way he did intentionally, he actually did it accidentally and then said that later to save face. At least try to make points that make sense.

I just think it's the way he handles critiscm.

I actually see nothing wrong with Madagascar vocals and I think it's an excellent song.

That said, I read a number of complaints that said the vox were poor and that's how he responded.

I do think OMG is dreadful and I think he tried to save face with the demo talk.

I do think If The World is dreadful and I think he tried to save face with the 'intentionally corny' stuff.

I do think Silkworms is dreadful and I think he tried to save face with the 'just a bit of fun' stuff.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I think rock music in general lost the "Fun" aspect back in the early 90's and its never really returned.  

The grunge era really kick started rock music been associated with depression, suicide, emo etc and its kind of still like that today.   

Ironically, even grunge bands had some fun in retrospect lol.  Nirvana with Moist Vagina, Pearl Jam with Dirty Frank, Soundgarden with their version of Fopp.  I almost think every grunge band from Seattle took themselves personally a lot less seriously than Axl ended up taking things by the time he decided to unironically swim with dolphins :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Haha 1

Yeah CD is an album as "serious" as it gets, it's IMO more of an angry bitter statement/response by Axl to the world, since most of the world had the opinion that he broke up the band and was responsible and an asshole for that. I don't think he intended a song like "Scraped" to be good ear candy, that song was soley on the album because he wanted those lyrics on the album. That's the only explanation for me why a song like that ended up on CD and not others which are much better music.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

21 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yeah CD is an album as "serious" as it gets, it's IMO more of an angry bitter statement/response by Axl to the world, since most of the world had the opinion that he broke up the band and was responsible and an asshole for that. I don't think he intended a song like "Scraped" to be good ear candy, that song was soley on the album because he wanted those lyrics on the album. That's the only explanation for me why a song like that ended up on CD and not others which are much better music.

Yeah I'd agree with most of that. Some of the lyrics on ChiDem are sooooooo cringeworthy they are embarrassing though... e.g. Scraped, This I Love and Riad N' The Bedouins. Imagine being held responsible by the media and general public for splitting one of the biggest bands of the early 90s,  to take 13 years to record an album and churn out some of that guff in response!? I will however back Madagascar, Better, TWAT and CD as decent enough. So it's not all bad. But when it is bad... it is REALLY bad.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:36 AM, Lies They Tell said:

I always thought that Axl's: "but I don't want to do it" in Sorry was exactly that. A fun, tongue in cheek line, said with a freaking reggae voice. Did some people think he was dead serious there?

Not to mention Silkworms/Absurd of course, which is pretty much a tongue in cheek song from start to finish. The problem is that people often hate these not too serious lyrics by Axl. I've seen people whine about Absurd, saying that GNR used to be a grandious, artistic band and "pussy full of maggots" is not the GNR that they loved. 😂

I think there was an interview with him here long ago where he said he sung it that way for fun basically. Also no one has pointed out the "figaro, figaro" thing he did from the Big Daddy version of Sweet Child 'O Mine.

Edited by mystery

On 9/7/2021 at 6:56 AM, WhazUp said:

One thing I realized that I subconsciously knew was missing in the "nuGNR" era but never said it out loud, was humor and random fun.  This occurred to me when I was listening to the Illusion albums, just how many random sounds Axl made vocally or just things that you can tell they did not for artistic grandeur but with a wink and a smile

The announcement at the end of Get In the Ring, Axl's "wrecked my car" bit in the intro of Dead Horse, Axl's random "eyeyeyeye" at the start of Don't Damn Me, and even just the more jammy tunes like You Ain't The First that sounds like a band who wrote it together sitting by a campfire lol

I think you're on to something, but I'd change 'humour' and 'fun' to 'experimental creativity'. I think that's where the difference is.

Particularly noticeable in the little closing line bits. Yowza, smoke em if you got em, maybe you’ll do better next time punk, alright that sucked!

Me, I was always torn over whether those were fun or cringe. Just depended what kind of mood I was in when I listened fo those songs.

On 9/11/2021 at 11:10 AM, Flayer said:

Me, I was always torn over whether those were fun or cringe. Just depended what kind of mood I was in when I listened fo those songs.

I always kinda likes those tbh, I dunno, to me the fun factor overtook the cheese factor lol

On 9/8/2021 at 1:46 AM, Pele said:

Lol at 'three albums'.

Sorry, but if there's 4 left, basing it on the Village leaks, explain Scrapped? Explain Rock the Rock. 

If they release a track with vocals you were unfamiliar with will you change your crap about Axl not having recorded vocals since 2001. Despite Shacklers, Scraped, Better etc...

You're such a troll. Of course he has been in the studio since those Village sessions, so much proof and songs recorded since then that you know nothing about clearly, pathetic.

Likewise, 4 songs? What about The General which was played in 2010 over a p.a at a party, a leak of which is out there with vox. What about Soul Monster. 

State of Grace
Zodiac
Quick Song
General
Perhaps
Hard Skool
Tonto
Soul Monster
Atlas
Oklahoma

and so. 

Fact is if you go solely by the 2001 discs and Scraped or Better were still unreleased then you'd still be saying the same crap over and over again, not knowing there were more tracks with vox. You know nothing, just a troll... But go on, deny The General exists even though we've heard it with vox  

5 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Sorry, but if there's 4 left, basing it on the Village leaks, explain Scrapped? Explain Rock the Rock. 

If they release a track with vocals you were unfamiliar with will you change your crap about Axl not having recorded vocals since 2001. Despite Shacklers, Scraped, Better etc...

You're such a troll. Of course he has been in the studio since those Village sessions, so much proof and songs recorded since then that you know nothing about clearly, pathetic.

Lol - I've been through this numerous times.

It's clear he did some additional recording in 05/06, and recorded Better, Scraped, General etc.

The well is dry, which s why we are getting yet another version of Silkworms with the same vocal track.

You're gonna be awfully disappointed when this album drops.

5 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Likewise, 4 songs? What about The General which was played in 2010 over a p.a at a party, a leak of which is out there with vox. What about Soul Monster. 

State of Grace
Zodiac
Quick Song
General
Perhaps
Hard Skool
Tonto
Soul Monster
Atlas
Oklahoma

and so. 

Fact is if you go solely by the 2001 discs and Scraped or Better were still unreleased then you'd still be saying the same crap over and over again, not knowing there were more tracks with vox. You know nothing, just a troll... But go on, deny The General exists even though we've heard it with vox  

Lol at Soulmonster.  Where is it?  A song he supposedly recorded vocals for over a decade ago.

The 'vocals' for that are probably like Quick Song.

Absolute lol at thinking Zodiac and Tonto ever got lyrics written, let alone vocals recorded.

At the end of the day, I've given my opinion and you've given yours.

Let's see what the album track-list brings.

31 minutes ago, Pele said:

Lol at Soulmonster.  Where is it?  A song he supposedly recorded vocals for over a decade ago.

The 'vocals' for that are probably like Quick Song.

Absolute lol at thinking Zodiac and Tonto ever got lyrics written, let alone vocals recorded.

At the end of the day, I've given my opinion and you've given yours.

Let's see what the album track-list brings.

What do you mean "where is it?" Just because it hasn't been played or released means it does not exist? Where is The General? You concede that it has vocals, of course only because we have the leak. If we hadn't gotten the party recording of The General you'd be saying it had no vocals either, because you are acting in bad faith. Always amazing when someone talking nonsense has the audacity to "lol" at others.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

What do you mean "where is it?" Just because it hasn't been played or released means it does not exist? Where is The General? You concede that it has vocals, of course only because we have the leak. If we hadn't gotten the party recording of The General you'd be saying it had no vocals either, because you are acting in bad faith. Always amazing when someone talking nonsense has the audacity to "lol" at others.

Ok.  Wait for the track-list then we'll talk.