Perfect article: What rock fans don't want to admit

https://news.yahoo.com/rock-fans-dont-want-admit-103712304.html

After years of straining night after night on the road, with little proper rest and in many cases smoking, drinking, and drug abuse mixed in, damage is done. That's why rock singers often lose the capacity to sing their older songs as they were recorded and end up forced to play them in lower keys as they age. Their vocal range constricts. Their capacity to make large melodic leaps declines, leading many singers to embrace a form of talk-singing, in which a song's melody is merely gestured at and approximated. This damage can also limit an artist's capacity to produce new music as vibrant as what they once wrote and performed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Isn't all that just stating the bleeding obvious though? No-one expects a band to sound like they did when they were young. 

As for new material that isn't as 'vibrant' as that which they once wrote and performed, well, again, stating the obvious.

Not that we'd have a fucking clue what sort of music GNR could write these days though. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Those things have nothing to do with rock music, they effect every singer. Also, rock fans aren't stupid and don't need basic things explained to them lol 

This article started off well enough, but by the time I saw where he was going I utterly checked out haha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Those things have nothing to do with rock music, they effect every singer. Also, rock fans aren't stupid and don't need basic things explained to them lol 

The examples of groups doing their best work in their 20's and occasionally later is SPOT on.

There's nothing else to rage against

10 minutes ago, axlinkafayette said:

The examples of groups doing their best work in their 20's and occasionally later is SPOT on.

But is pointing out The Who aren't as wild as they were in their 20s or that The Rolling Stones aren't changing the face of music anymore REALLY news or a big revelation to anyone? 

It's a bit like an article telling us Marlon Brando wasn't such a hearthrob when he was 80. 

The article could really be just a line saying "young rockstars aren't as good when they get old". I'm not sure I've ever met one rock fan who would disagree with that let alone "don't want to admit it". 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, axlinkafayette said:

Rage.....what? 

Of course human beings sound better at an earlier age. It's a common sense issue, not something that rock fans don't understand. 

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Nope, sorry. I don’t want to admit this. Axl sounds beautiful and perfect and I have no idea how anyone can say otherwise. 

Until the very moment when I read this article, I was under the impression that human beings were impervious to the effects of age. 

Now that I've read this earth shaking information, everything has changed! 

• Haha 2

The article is mainly about the creativity and the impact, and not so much about how well aged rock musicians can perform and sound. And it makes a good point about the difference between rock and other musical genres (like jazz, classical, etc.), as well as other forms of art, in regards to the age factor: many writers, painters, classical and jazz musicians created their best and more impactful works later in their career, whereas this is very rare in rock, because rock has been considered "young people's music."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Rage.....what? 

Of course human beings sound better at an earlier age. It's a common sense issue, not something that rock fans don't understand. 

Exactly.  Singing uses muscles just like athletes use muscles to perform their skills.  Just like an athlete can't do the same things when he gets older, the same is going to be true for a singer.  For a huge majority of people, their talking voice changes when they get old so anybody who expects a singing voice not to is a moron.  I refuse to give that article any clicks for writing something so obvious and treating it like a revelation.

• Like 2

It really shouldn’t matter what an old band sounds like. Rock needs new talent, new sound, that captivates a majority. From what I’ve seen Guns N Roses were the last classic rock band to have achieved this. The personalities now don’t exist, the bands are rare, organic sound is lacking. These old bands aren’t meant to carry the torch forever, someone new should be there to take it and run with it. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 6:13 PM, axlinkafayette said:

https://news.yahoo.com/rock-fans-dont-want-admit-103712304.html

After years of straining night after night on the road, with little proper rest and in many cases smoking, drinking, and drug abuse mixed in, damage is done. That's why rock singers often lose the capacity to sing their older songs as they were recorded and end up forced to play them in lower keys as they age. Their vocal range constricts. Their capacity to make large melodic leaps declines, leading many singers to embrace a form of talk-singing, in which a song's melody is merely gestured at and approximated. This damage can also limit an artist's capacity to produce new music as vibrant as what they once wrote and performed.

Sounds like it's written by some anti-rock priest or church.

Yes that is mostly the case, as it is fact of aging....

A number of GNR fans are puzzled though & expect more because:

A) They tend to believe that if Axl took more care of his physical body (less weight, more exercise, better diet) he would sing better.

B) They believe as he managed to sing more like younger Axl at the ACDC shows, he can still do it at the GNR shows. They know he has not lost the rasp.

C) They believe that if Axl trained his voice muscles with regular exercises under a proffesional coach during the no touring periods he will sing better. 

Edited by GNROSAS

On 9/9/2021 at 11:53 PM, Top-Hatted One said:

^Then how do you explain old men belting out opera? It’s clear it can be done. The key is how you take care of and maintain/train your voice. And yes years of drinking/smoking will permanently effect your voice

Well, that's not really the case. When you listen to Plácido Domingo for example. He's 80 and he still sings in operas. But when you compare his voice to the one from the 1990s or before, it's evident, that age is a factor. It's just that the prime of Opera singers starts later. 

On 9/9/2021 at 3:16 PM, IncitingChaos said:

It really shouldn’t matter what an old band sounds like. Rock needs new talent, new sound, that captivates a majority. From what I’ve seen Guns N Roses were the last classic rock band to have achieved this. The personalities now don’t exist, the bands are rare, organic sound is lacking. These old bands aren’t meant to carry the torch forever, someone new should be there to take it and run with it. 

I think that there are many great modern rock bands out there, but because of rock not being the dominant mainstream force as it once was, and social media making music listening so personalized and therefore fragmented, means that  the "rock band that changes the world thing" just isn't possible.  Really it very even is possible in the pop world - you have a ton of personalities that are constantly in the news but so many of them, not a singular "one" like even Madonna was back in the day

So I think there are many great rock bands carrying the torch such as Rival Sons, but it is up to us to find them.