Matrix Resurrection

downzy

I'm intrigued by the idea of Neo having vague memories of the previous Matrix prior to it rebooting and trying to find his place. It's a premise with decent potential, so it should be a good watch at the very least if not on par with the impact of the original. I usually hate "resurrection" in movie titles but even that kind of works here.

Perhaps "The Matrix Rebooted" would have been a little too on the nose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Looks like a rehash. I hope the “Neo doesn’t remember who he is “ trope doesn’t last long and that there’s a good reason for Lawrence Fishburn now returning 

He's not in it as far as I can tell. I'm kind of impressed they recast instead of that deaging nonsense that seems to plague modern movies.

Very fond childhood memories of skipping school to go see 2 and 3 in the cinema.

To be honest, I'm not that intrigued by this trailer. I don't want to watch 2 hours of John Wick trying to remember that he's Neo.

I'd want a more ambitious film personally in line with the sequels. This doesn't really feel big, it feels toned down for those who didn't like the sequels imo.

Also it's worrying that they only just released the trailer now, when it's out in a few months. The hype machine feels absent.

If this is only a sequel to the first and ignores Reloaded/Revolutions... I don't really care that much about this one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Also it's worrying that they only just released the trailer now, when it's out in a few months. The hype machine feels absent.

I wonder if that has less to do with the film and more to do with covid.  Being a movie release schedule planner must be one of the hardest jobs in Hollywood right now.  

21 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I'll be shocked if it doesn't have woke bullshit.

The original film had a huge impact on me. The sequels had good parts but were pretty bad overall.

The first movie was and still is a stone cold classic. The less said about the sequels the better. Watched the second one at the cinema and that was enough for me. To this day I've still not seen the third. Bit like the Star Wars prequels in a way. Saw the first one and managed to enjoy it at the time based on goodwill from the original trilogy so went to see #2 and it was so shit that I've still not seen Revenge of the Sith. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Nicklord said:

What kind of woke bs?

Like women having proper parts and not getting their tits out every 5 minutes I'm guessing. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Looks cool, I hope it’s not more woke bs

The Wachowskis say that the first three films (mainly the send and third ones) were a subconscious allegory for trans rights, so I would imagine whatever “subconscious motifs” they were referring to will now be brought to the forefront in this new one.

• ABSUЯD 1

24 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

In the original the action served the philosophy in the sequels the philosophy served the action. It had some good bits but they were dumbed down and 'franchised' while having the audacity to be pretentious. Remember The Architect? Lol.

The prequels look like Shakespeare now compared to the dogshit Disney stuff. The Emporer was the best thing in the prequels. I remember Revenge of the Sith being the best of that trilogy.

P.S. Trinity was so fucking hot.

I’ve tried to watch Revenge of the Sith a bunch of times in recent years and can’t get through the first hour. The story is awful and I’ve seen better special effects on a PlayStation 2. 😂

2 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

I mean when they fuck up the mythology of a franchise just to please certain groups. Like how terminator dark fate or bill and Ted 3 had the male   Saviors completely cut out or killed off.  

So passing on the torch to a new generation of heroes who happen to be female = “fucking up the mythology”?

9 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Getting “red pilled” and “getting woke” aren’t the same concepts. 

In fairness, the alt-right's adopted definition of "red pilled" is a pretty recent development that I'd imagine is pretty far removed from the Wachowskis' original idea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2021 at 2:51 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Name some "now they're all women or trannies etc" woke reboots that you think are good.

Ghostbusters 2016? Absolute dogshit.

He-Man reboot? Pile of shit.

Disney Star Wars? Utter shit.

Race and gender swapping is almost always a pathetic stupid gimmick peddled out by people with poor judgement and no talent. It's obnoxious lazy virtue signalling.

The Last Jedi is good, and Rise of Skywalker I have mixed feelings about. Force Awakens though I think is very overrated and Rey is flat as hell in that one, so that much I’ll agree with at least. She had much more depth/ believability in the other two though.

Haven’t seen the He-Man one but it’s probably not as bad as everyone says. And if it really is that bad, it’s probably just cause Kevin Smith is a bit of a hack, and not necessarily cause it’s “woke” or whatever.

It was stupid of Ghostbusters 2016 to try to erase the continuity of the old ones, but I’ll still take it over Ghostbusters 2 any day of the week.

That new Terminator film was crap though, yeah. They really leaned too hard into the PC stuff with automatically assuming that the new young chick was the new messiah’s mother, and not the messiah herself, and then acted like it was a big deal when they revealed that she actually was the messiah herself. Total unnecessary pandering imo.

Bill & Ted 3 was pointless but if you absolutely have to make a third film all these years later it’s not bad. I liked the daughters, but yeah it was a little weird how they were retconned into being female after the end of the second film said they were male.

A lot of the movies above would still have the problems they do though, regardless of the new protagonist’s race or gender or orientation, with one exception being Terminator 6 because that one chose to make the new hero’s gender such a big part of the story for no fucking reason.

None of what I just said really matters anyway though cause most of the examples you listed are properties made for children. The old stuff was made for us when we were kids, and now the new stuff is made for the kids of today, so yeah it’s all going to have different sensibilities because things just change over time.

This speaks to a bigger issue though: Should sequels (or “legacy sequels,” at the very least) even be made to begin with?

Edited by rocknroll41

On 9/10/2021 at 3:41 PM, rocknroll41 said:

The Wachowskis say that the first three films (mainly the send and third ones) were a subconscious allegory for trans rights, so I would imagine whatever “subconscious motifs” they were referring to will now be brought to the forefront in this new one.

Yeah, the going woke comments are quite redundant and really cringe lol. 

On 9/11/2021 at 7:51 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Name some "now they're all women or trannies etc" woke reboots that you think are good.

Ghostbusters 2016? Absolute dogshit.

He-Man reboot? Pile of shit.

Disney Star Wars? Utter shit.

Race and gender swapping is almost always a pathetic stupid gimmick peddled out by people with poor judgement and no talent. It's obnoxious lazy virtue signalling.

He-Man reboot was great. 

Mad Max: Fury Road was amazing. 

Ghostbusters wasn’t shit because it was a female cast. It was shit because Paul Feig decided to remake Bridesmaids with ghosts. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...