Matrix Resurrection

downzy

• 2 weeks later...

I seen this in the afternoon.

I have mixed thoughts, but ultimately just thought meh. It does threaten at a few times to be interesting, but I did legitimately get the impression that the people involved did not want to make another Matrix film and they use a few meta scenes/lines to make the audience aware. I didn't leave the cinema thinking, "I really hope there's a Matrix 5".

Given the poor promotion/marketing campaign, I don't expect this to be as successful as it should/could've been.

Being a Matrix fan from 1999, I didn't like this trailer at all. Didn't have high hopes either. I liked the idea at the beginning of the story but then I got lost. Couldn't follow very well. Not a lot of action. Didn't like the recasting of Smith or Morpheus. Waited 18 years just to see it and was not that great. I give it a 4 out of 10.

Saw it last night. Mixed bag of feelings, but I liked more than I disliked. 

Pros:
Loved the actual premise set up throughout the first act - clever writing, albeit a bit too goofy at times. Worked really well I thought in a film that itself was part unnecessary sequel and part reboot. Glad I didn't know the premise ahead of time; I only watched the first trailer once and otherwise went in blind so I don't know if it was heavily alluded to in the promotional material but I really enjoyed discovering the layers of the onion being peeled back in real time watching the film.
- Acting was pretty solid throughout. Keanu played a good broken man at the beginning and later on seemed like a good extension of Neo where the character was left off in Revolutions. Great chemistry between Keanu and Carrie as expected. Enjoyed Neil Patrick Harris in his role and glad he was given plentiful screen time. Enjoyed Yahoo's portrayal of Morpheus despite the fact that it was a massive departure from Fishburne's portrayal - I say this in the best possible way, but at times it reminded me of Donald Glover's portrayal of Lando Calrissian in Solo. 
- Enjoyed the set design (Particularly Io - felt like a great evolution from Zion in the trilogy) and wardrobe. Wardrobe in the real world was spot on with the trilogy, the in-Matrix wardrobe for Neo and Trinity felt like a nice evolution that still had the Matrix look but more tailored to their age instead of the leather look, and I loved Morpheus' "flashy but classy" approach. 

Cons:

Spoiler

- While I loved the actual premise, the plot itself was clunky. The buildup and world-building throughout the first act is fantastic, and then once Neo is unplugged it quickly devolves in "gotta save Trinity". The stakes also never really felt that high. Niobe said that Neo had no idea the consequences he could be bringing about by going after Trinity, but nothing really ever comes of it in the big picture - all of the consequences seem based in their relationship and nothing more. 

- Action set pieces were too infrequent for a Matrix film, and disappointing when they came. Nothing that came even remotely close in feel to the lobby shootout in the original, the freeway chase in Reloaded, or the Club Hell fight in Revolutions. 
- Not enough techno in the soundtrack. 
- I miss the green hue from the originals during in-Matrix scenes. The real world still had the traditional blue hue, but the Matrix scenes felt too naturally colored and vibrant to me. 

Spoiler

- The ending was hilariously cheesy and nonsensical. Neo and Trinity gained control of the Matrix...how exactly? Smith didn't exactly kill the Analyst since they visited him in the final scene, Neo and Trinity escape the horde, fall back in love, and Trinity discovers she has the powers of The One...the end. 

- That RATM cover in the credits...pass. 

It was an entertaining film, and I'll watch it again for sure. The Matrix has always been, even before the initial sequels were released, a franchise where the mythology and the lore outweigh the source material. It's a franchise where there's an infinite number of stories which could be told. The source material is, objectively, inconsistent and polarizing. There's a considerable faction of the fanbase which would name any of the original three as their favorite, and a seemingly equal faction that could name at least either the second and third as something they'd less rather watch than a slow motion car crash. This new entry slots right in alongside the divisiveness of the original sequels and still feels like it belongs in the franchise to me, and that's about all I could ask of a Matrix film. 

For the record, my rankings of the films after seeing Resurrection once:
1. Reloaded
2. The Matrix
3. Resurrection
4. Revolutions (This is the one that's almost irredeemably bad for me)

On 12/22/2021 at 11:16 PM, AtariLegend said:

I seen this in the afternoon.

I have mixed thoughts, but ultimately just thought meh. It does threaten at a few times to be interesting, but I did legitimately get the impression that the people involved did not want to make another Matrix film and they use a few meta scenes/lines to make the audience aware. I didn't leave the cinema thinking, "I really hope there's a Matrix 5".

Given the poor promotion/marketing campaign, I don't expect this to be as successful as it should/could've been.

You're right that the people involved didn't want to make another Matrix. And they show it! They mean to show it. And that's something I like about the movie.

I wouldn't compare  Matrix with Star Wars (I've seen some people claming both are almost the same) You get see the Neo you're supposed to see. Luke became a loser in a mere supporting role. I'm not saying Matrix Resurrection is the best movie ever, not even close! But I'm not disappointed

Edited by Padme

• 2 weeks later...