9/11 - 20 Years Ago Today

AtariLegend

20 Years ago today the most important event of the 21st century (so far happened). Afterwards the West seen the war on Afghanistan and then the Iraq war (fuelled politically on the back of it). Numerous terror attacks afterwards and a changed world.

I was still a child at the time, but I remember it like it was last year. I had just got off a plane in Madrid around that the time the attacks happened that day. Once I arrived at the place I was staying at, it was all over the news,

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

20 Years ago today the most important event of the 21st century (so far happened). Afterwards the West seen the war on Afghanistan and then the Iraq war (fuelled politically on the back of it). Numerous terror attacks afterwards and a changed world.

I was still a child at the time, but I remember it like it was last year. I had just got off a plane in Madrid around that the time the attacks happened that day. Once I arrived at the place I was staying at, it was all over the news,

I was in the lab and someone told me something was happening in NY. We got on a TV and saw it unfold. I went to my grandma's place just about when the second tower collapsed. I was shook for a few days after. Such a watershed moment in history. So much hurt. 

I was in work and my mom called me. Such a sad day. We cried for days watching the footage.

My uncle had two friends who lost their lives that day.

We became united as a nation and as a world. I hope and pray we can become that nation we were that day.

We must never forget what happened and hope those monsters are rotting in hell, but we must do better as people and make this world a better place for our children.

Still cry to this day when I hear the names of those who were lost and the people who became heros that day.

We need to respect and honor them and we must do the same for each other.

I was in New Jersey when it happened. Saw the smoke from across the river on my way home from school. My aunt worked at the WTC but just so happened to have a day off that day. She lost all of her office friends and co-workers, though.

Could still see some smoke rising the next morning.

A few days/weeks later my whole family and I went down to the docks at night to see the big memorial lights be turned on for this first time.

A piece of the wreckage was later brought over to my grandmother’s town and turned into a park fountain.

Crazy times…

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

20 years and $6 trillion dollars later, here we are.

It seems so long ago but so much of the last twenty years has been defined by what happened on that one day.  The fallout from 9/11 will continue to reverberate and ripple.   It turned the most powerful nation on the planet into one of the most afraid countries out there. 

All of that money spent on chasing a fools errand.  Kind of blows my mind that if the concern was really about saving people's lives, the US could have spent half the money it spent on the "war on terror" on providing every citizen healthcare.  Likely millions of more people would still be living today.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

20 years and $6 trillion dollars later, here we are.

It seems so long ago but so much of the last twenty years has been defined by what happened on that one day.  The fallout from 9/11 will continue to reverberate and ripple.   It turned the most powerful nation on the planet into one of the most afraid countries out there. 

All of that money spent on chasing a fools errand.  Kind of blows my mind that if the concern was really about saving people's lives, the US could have spent half the money it spent on the "war on terror" on providing every citizen healthcare.  Likely millions of more people would still be living today.  

And it could be argued that due to the wars in Iraq in Afghanistan, the US actually created more terrorists than it killed due to all the collateral damage and death caused by them.

• Like 1

I know I’m a week late but as a 16 year year old in September, 2001 I’m of the generation who remembers that Tuesday afternoon(being in Ireland it was afternoon when the attacks first started), and I remember going to  my second to last class of the day at 2pm(need to remember twenty years ago smartphones weren’t a thing) and there was no teacher which was very strange and after a few minutes, a teacher passed the classroom  and said “ A plane has crashed into the world trade centre in New York City” and I only knew what they were because of the Simpson episode. I remember walking  into the city centre where I lived and seeing the pictures of the towers burning and the second plane hitting the second tower and even to this day seeing it back, it seem so surreal.