Hard Skool is coming!

31 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Yet another good shout! Add him to the list of fan expectations for appearing on the new GNR song. What key is Hard School in? Perhaps they found a recording of Tracii Guns from the mid-80s playing a chord that appears in the song. I certainly hope so. Hearing Tracii, Slash, Paul, Robin, Bucket, DJ, and Tricky Dicky play together would be a dream. Ron's contributions have been left off this one for some reason. 

‘Tricky Dicky’ hahaha

They absolutely have to get Ron on there in some form and at least let Matt Sorum play the bongos or something.

10 hours ago, betterman said:

I guess this is AXls way of doing a press release! :lol:

Well they knew that word would get out once they played it for her.

8 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

On behalf of @Sweersa, I really hope that this version of Hard School retains Robin and Buckethead's parts. Would also prefer Josh's drum tracks. That's the expectation! 😁😛😋 It's a given the vocals were recorded in 1999!

Nah

4 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Excellent shout. A quick recap for everybody, the expectation on lineup for the new improved version of Hard School:

Axl Rose - vocals (all recorded in 1999, period)

Slash - lead guitar

Buckethead - lead guitar

Robin Finck - lead guitar

Paul Huge - rhythm guitar

Richard Fortus - rhythm guitar

Tommy Stinson - bass and backing vocals

Duff McKagan - bass and backing vocals

Dizzy Reed - piano, keyboards, tambourine, bongos and backing vocals

Melissa Reese - synthesizers, flute trills, backing vocals, shakers and backing vocals

Christopher Roy Pitman - subbass, synthesizers, tambourine and backing vocals

Josh Freese - drum arrangements

Brain Mantia - drums 

Frank Ferrer - drums 

Steven Adler - cymbals 

Izzy Stradlin - backing vocals 

:axl::axl92::P

wait.  Pittman isn't on it doing towel sound effects????   in that case I refuse to listen.  

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

It'd be cool in future if they released alt versions of any potential new releases. Sure it might only cater to the hardcore fans but just my opinion. Hope the marketing and advertising campaign will be better when material does come out. 

18 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

If I had to guess, more people think its a completely original composition, since very few people know its from the CD era. Silkworms was already played at the 2001 shows. It doesn't have the "CD leftover" reputation.

I dunno. The articles I saw yesterday mentioned that it was an old CD leftover, I think. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

The following things would explode, in this order, if an entire album dropped on Friday:

My head

This board

If that somehow became a reality, and on the 30th anniversary of the last GNR album(s) of original material to feature Axl, Slash & Duff, the word "epic" would not suffice.  I'd probably stare at my phone stunned for a good 60 seconds just looking at the tracklist before pressing play. 

• Like 4

GN'R and/or their management have been known to utilize viral marketing, with intentional leaks of info to generate buzz, etc. Perhaps the thing with the fan girl is that, or maybe not. 

Has anyone searched for songs like "Soul Monster" etc. to see if they bring up GN'R stuff on Spotify?

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Imagine having a full, new, surprise album from GNR. Then getting over being stunned and clicking on Absurd first by accident. 

It's possible. I just wonder if they can press CDs weeks prior without anyone leaking info or the album itself. The did keep Absurd a secret, which has a fairly wide digital release, so it's certainly possible. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It's possible. I just wonder if they can press CDs weeks prior without anyone leaking info or the album itself. The did keep Absurd a secret, which has a fairly wide digital release, so it's certainly possible. 

If it's a surprise release, they'd just list pre-orders for CDs and vinyl, which would be released a few weeks/months later.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If that's the case, maybe they haven't started to press anything yet. It's happening more and more often lately that artists release new albums just in digital format at first, with physical editions coming out months later. Sometimes it's because the pressing plants, especially for vinyl, are clogged.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

They wouldn't have to worry about CDs until weeks after the surprise digital release. 

Taylor Swift, Eminem, Beyonce and many other artists have had huge albums in the last few years that were surprise releases on streaming. Then they released the CDs weeks later and the vinyl after that. 

• Like 3

If there is a desire to get the material out ahead of leaks of various kinds, 100% you’d want to go the surprise release route.

You have to also see that *most* people who would purchase a physical GNR release in 2021 are going to do so regardless of whether they’ve already purchased it digitally at an earlier date. Not all. But most. That’s icing on the cake GNR & the label(s).

In fact, doing a traditional slow rollout release would very likely be a huge misstep. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

If there is a desire to get the material out ahead of leaks of various kinds, 100% you’d want to go the surprise release route.

You have to also see that *most* people who would purchase a physical GNR release in 2021 are going to do so regardless of whether they’ve already purchased it digitally at an earlier date. Not all. But most. That’s icing on the cake GNR & the label(s).

In fact, doing a traditional slow rollout release would very likely be a huge misstep. 

I've been saying this for a while...

If they do a slow rollout, people will dissect the tracklist before it's released and it could have a negative effect ("this is just CD leftovers, fuck this", "Down By The Ocean? Izzy confirmed!", etc.)

Just drop it and let the music speak for itself. Like you said, most people who are gonna buy physical copies, are gonna buy it regardless of whether it's been on spotify/youtube/etc for a few weeks. A surprise drop is definitely the way to go, IMO.

• Like 3

People who want to buy something physically will do so eventually. Surprise releases in general are the way of the future. Feels like a win/win if physical media stays around in that way but digital gets to be the front-runner for new releases. If this band had a year lead up to an album it would go poorly because plans change, Axl might want to change the tracklist, add electronic farts, whatever. Just get the album out, like ripping a dirty bandaid off.

• Like 2