Hard Skool is coming!

After seeing the trainwreck that was Paradise City with Dave Grohl I kinda want GN'R to stop touring. Just make some music in the studio, where Axl can still sound okay.

Dude is Vince Neiling his way through every song.

And it also really bothers me that we're getting 20+ year old songs from Chinese Democracy, instead of something written by Axl, Slash and Duff.

Releasing Silkworms was unforgivable imho, being so badly mixed made it even worse.

I hope Hardschool will be decent enough, and that there is more to come. But I really have to stop watching live videos from these past few years. Everything I loved about this band is absent in these videos.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

After seeing the trainwreck that was Paradise City with Dave Grohl I kinda want GN'R to stop touring. Just make some music in the studio, where Axl can still sound okay.

Dude is Vince Neiling his way through every song.

And it also really bothers me that we're getting 20+ year old songs from Chinese Democracy, instead of something written by Axl, Slash and Duff.

Releasing Silkworms was unforgivable imho, being so badly mixed made it even worse.

I hope Hardschool will be decent enough, and that there is more to come. But I really have to stop watching live videos from these past few years. Everything I loved about this band is absent in these videos.

To be honest - it sounds like GNR just aren’t the band for you anymore. 🤷🏼‍♂️

If it makes you feel any better - I’ve kinda given up on Iron Maiden now as I don’t like what they are churning out these days (albeit still great live). They just aren’t the band for me anymore.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

If it makes you feel any better - I’ve kinda given up on Iron Maiden now as I don’t like what they are churning out these days (albeit still great live). They just aren’t the band for me anymore.

I can't judge on that since GN'R isn't doing anything in particular since the release of CD in 2008. And since Silkworms isn't new I have no idea if I'd like their new work.

I'm fine with the band, I was fine with bad/sloppy guitarists and drunk Pitman. But the thing that made Axl so likeable is so far gone that it's almost sad to watch (for me).

Which takes me back to my previous post. I'm fine with checking out whatever single or album they release in the future (especially if it's something entirely new) and probably end up buying it. 

But the liveshows are becoming really painful to listen to.

And I get it, age and Axl/DC and straining etc. But it still sucks to hear him like this, especially when his gritty vocals were the reason I loved GN'R in the first place.

And somewhere deep down I really hope there is still some of that fire left in him, but you never know. At least he seems in a good place, so I'm happy for that.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

A couple Debbie Downers here I see. 

No. It’s a forum consisting of various people, i.e. a variety of views and opinions. It’s not like other forums, where all has to be almost 100% bright and the few who dare complain are automatically "haters". Much of what the dude says is true, and there’s nothing wrong with venting it here. Then there are people who complain about people who complain and keep saying the same things, without realizing the irony of it, as they keep saying the same things as well. I say to each their own. 
Being totally negative all the time is one thing; pretending everything’s always peachy is another. Extremes. 

32 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Nonsense. I see many of the observations the same way, yet it doesn’t mean I should move on to some other band, especially since I’ve been a fan my whole life. It’s just that they should and could put more effort in their approach. We can’t do much about Axl’s unstable vocal form, but the rest – lack of variety, releases etc. – is something that can be criticized, and rightfully so. 
IM is a different type of band, and Dickinson has a different type of vocal cords. Guns and Axl are truly unique, so the comparisons are sort of… inefficient. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

I can't judge on that since GN'R isn't doing anything in particular since the release of CD in 2008. And since Silkworms isn't new I have no idea if I'd like their new work.

I'm fine with the band, I was fine with bad/sloppy guitarists and drunk Pitman. But the thing that made Axl so likeable is so far gone that it's almost sad to watch (for me).

Which takes me back to my previous post. I'm fine with checking out whatever single or album they release in the future (especially if it's something entirely new) and probably end up buying it. 

But the liveshows are becoming really painful to listen to.

And I get it, age and Axl/DC and straining etc. But it still sucks to hear him like this, especially when his gritty vocals were the reason I loved GN'R in the first place.

And somewhere deep down I really hope there is still some of that fire left in him, but you never know. At least he seems in a good place, so I'm happy for that.

Which is fair enough - I noted the comment about the vocals/release of Absurd and general apparent apathy. Personally I think they sound pretty good and folk seem to be really enjoying the gigs? 🤷🏼‍♂️

50 minutes ago, jamillos said:

No. It’s a forum consisting of various people, i.e. a variety of views and opinions. It’s not like other forums, where all has to be almost 100% bright and the few who dare complain are automatically "haters". Much of what the dude says is true, and there’s nothing wrong with venting it here. Then there are people who complain about people who complain and keep saying the same things, without realizing the irony of it, as they keep saying the same things as well. I say to each their own. 
Being totally negative all the time is one thing; pretending everything’s always peachy is another. Extremes. 

Nonsense. I see many of the observations the same way, yet it doesn’t mean I should move on to some other band, especially since I’ve been a fan my whole life. It’s just that they should and could put more effort in their approach. We can’t do much about Axl’s unstable vocal form, but the rest – lack of variety, releases etc. – is something that can be criticized, and rightfully so. 
IM is a different type of band, and Dickinson has a different type of vocal cords. Guns and Axl are truly unique, so the comparisons are sort of… inefficient. 

I’m looking at it as a holistic view. I noted the comments about the vocals/release of Absurd and general apparent apathy. Axl is clearly not ‘Vince Neiling’ every song and whilst that Paradise City wasn’t great I didn’t think it was a train wreck.

It just sounded to me in general @YOUCOULDBEMINE.sounded ‘done’….I don’t know the person…was just an observation! And I likened it to my experience of IM….massive fan for years but now they don’t interest me at all (because IMO they are churning out boring stuff). That’s fine - doesn’t stop me playing BNW or SIT and rocking out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

I mean the gal who started all this hype is a super-fan from Brazil, right? Not too difficult to envision this all being kinda planned by Fernando to build up the buzz. I mean the fact she a supposed stranger was even backstage and having a beer with Axl while he’s playing a new tune for her (with a Covid bubble the only thing protecting the tour) raises the suspicion to me that this wasn’t totally spontaneous. Hopefully that’s the case. 

Excellent points! I believe it. Plus, let's be honest, I wouldn't expect her or most GN'R fans, even some of the hardcore fans to know what Hardskool is. In other words, she doesn't strike me as someone who would ask Axl (on her own accord) about an unreleased song that leaked a few years ago and has had some buzz up until that moment.

13 hours ago, RussTCB said:

They wouldn't have to worry about CDs until weeks after the surprise digital release. 

Taylor Swift, Eminem, Beyonce and many other artists have had huge albums in the last few years that were surprise releases on streaming. Then they released the CDs weeks later and the vinyl after that. 

Good to know, thanks! I guess I'm too old school.

11 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Good to know, thanks! I guess I'm too old school.

WELL YOU HAD TO BE A FOOL, HAD TO DO IT YOUR WAY! HAD TO BE A FOOL, HAD TO THROW...... wait....you said "old school", not "hard school". My bad, natural reaction. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

WELL YOU HAD TO BE A FOOL, HAD TO DO IT YOUR WAY! HAD TO BE A FOOL, HAD TO THROW...... wait....you said "old school", not "hard school". My bad, natural reaction. 

Is there a correct transcription of the lyrics anywhere in this forum?

On 9/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, allwaystired said:

I wouldn't class this as confirmation of anything really. It does seem rather unlikely that he's just whipped out a recording and played it for someone right after a show. 

Sorry, I'm not convinced on this one. We know how much trolling there is in the GNR world. 

Id whip out anything and everything if a girl that hot was in my presence :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Yep a forum it is and it has Debbie Downers. 

And who said anything about haters though? I just called it like it is, it's a Hard skool thread, everyone was going excited and optimistic for once. In comes these conflicters(reporting of slash's single) and the oh I'm don't wanna see them play it. Textbook Debbie Downer. Didn't say "fuck you I don't agree with you", just literally called it like it is. So take a chill pill. 

Edited by GoForJMark

It would be pretty awesome if they dropped a complete new album tomorrow exactly 30 years after the UYI album, with a physical release to follow. 

it would fit in with their “milking the fans dry” mentality too, because they’d get the digital purchases now, then the fans would purchase it again when the 80 Different physical copies get released prob just in time for the holidays 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

It would be pretty awesome if they dropped a complete new album tomorrow exactly 30 years after the UYI album, with a physical release to follow. 

it would fit in with their “milking the fans dry” mentality too, because they’d get the digital purchases now, then the fans would purchase it again when the 80 Different physical copies get released prob just in time for the holidays 

Assuming a new album comes out, I do expect SEVERAL vinyl versions. Here in the US, Walmart and Target have been back in the vinyl game big time. 

Nearly every big album that comes out has different color vinyl or cover variants at each of those retailers in addition to indie store variants. 

If GN'R ever releases a new album, I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least 4 vinyl variants if not more. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Assuming a new album comes out, I do expect SEVERAL vinyl versions. Here in the US, Walmart and Target have been back in the vinyl game big time. 

Nearly every big album that comes out has different color vinyl or cover variants at each of those retailers in addition to indie store variants. 

If GN'R ever releases a new album, I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least 4 vinyl variants if not more. 

And @Pele would be shocked to not see '99 KOHD in it. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Fingers crossed for an audio cassette version too. My '99 Mercedes-Benz and I need that to happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1