Hard Skool is coming!

28 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Assuming a new album comes out, I do expect SEVERAL vinyl versions. Here in the US, Walmart and Target have been back in the vinyl game big time. 

Nearly every big album that comes out has different color vinyl or cover variants at each of those retailers in addition to indie store variants. 

If GN'R ever releases a new album, I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least 4 vinyl variants if not more. 

I think, across the formats, there were 53 different variants of the Abba album. 

The sane thing seems to have become 'just pick a preference' on the cover rather than fill your home with hundreds of copies of the same albums. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think, across the formats, there were 53 different variants of the Abba album. 

The sane thing seems to have become 'just pick a preference' on the cover rather than fill your home with hundreds of copies of the same albums. 

Yeah, I can't bring myself to do variants. If there's extra tracks MAYBE I'll pick up a variant but if not, I just pick a cover I like and stick with that. One of my long running mottos is "you don't play the cover". So as long as I have all the music available, I'm set. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I can't bring myself to do variants. If there's extra tracks MAYBE I'll pick up a variant but if not, I just pick a cover I like and stick with that. One of my long running mottos is "you don't play the cover". So as long as I have all the music available, I'm set. 

McCartney put a different extra track on each variant of the CD, which seems a pretty shitty thing to do to fans really. That sort of thing seems rare though fortunately. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I’m kinda a boring guy, but I always just get the normal, basic cover- the one you could search and it comes up first on google. I just like having the standards instead of anything fancy. (Extra tracks obviously different)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’m kinda a boring guy, but I always just get the normal, basic cover- the one you could search and it comes up first on google. I just like having the standards instead of anything fancy. (Extra tracks obviously different)

I get that totally. You sort of want the 'classic' cover rather than a variant a lot of the time. 

6 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I know a dude who buys every color vinyl and every cover variant. To each their own, I guess. For me, I just want the music. My vinyl collection happens to be worth an insane amount but that's not why I own any of the music I own. I own every record I own for the music. 

I do have a few albums I have variants of, but each one is justified. Different tracks and/or completely different mixes of an album I love. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I know a dude who buys every color vinyl and every cover variant. To each their own, I guess. For me, I just want the music. My vinyl collection happens to be worth an insane amount but that's not why I own any of the music I own. I own every record I own for the music. 

I do have a few albums I have variants of, but each one is justified. Different tracks and/or completely different mixes of an album I love. 

Motley Crue Too Fast For Love original Leather pressing is a holy grail item for me. Them mixes are far far superior in my opinion to the final album

40 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The new one coming out, you mean?

Isn’t it their first album in exactly 40 years? You’d think the hype of that alone would be enough for it to sell well. Not sure why they feel the need to do so many variants, but whatever.

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Excellent points! I believe it. Plus, let's be honest, I wouldn't expect her or most GN'R fans, even some of the hardcore fans to know what Hardskool is. In other words, she doesn't strike me as someone who would ask Axl (on her own accord) about an unreleased song that leaked a few years ago and has had some buzz up until that moment.

Why? How on earth could you figure this just based on those pictures? The girl went to several shows, she's obviously a fan. And no, not a chance that a hardcore fan wouldn't know what Hard Skool is. Every single streaming that I've watched has lots of people asking for Hard Skool, it's actually annoying as fuck.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The new one coming out, you mean?

Isn’t it their first album in exactly 40 years? You’d think the hype of that alone would be enough for it to sell well. Not sure why they feel the need to do so many variants, but whatever.

Yeah the new one. It's sold nearly 90,000 physical copies on pre-order in the UK alone, so is clearly going to be a massive success, sales wise! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Joraz said:

Motley Crue Too Fast For Love original Leather pressing is a holy grail item for me. Them mixes are far far superior in my opinion to the final album

I almost picked that up not long ago. It's so pricey, but I agree the mixes are superior. I can see if my local guy still has the copy if you want. Shoot me a PM if so. 

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

They wouldn't have to worry about CDs until weeks after the surprise digital release. 

Taylor Swift, Eminem, Beyonce and many other artists have had huge albums in the last few years that were surprise releases on streaming. Then they released the CDs weeks later and the vinyl after that. 

Pretty funny i brought this up a couple of years ago when Eminem was doing it and got laughed at. Then other artists started doing it and now it seems funny that it is a more believable scenario now then maybe actually getting a release date.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wabby said:

Pretty funny i brought this up a couple of years ago when Eminem was doing it and got laughed at. Then other artists started doing it and now it seems funny that it is a more believable scenario now then maybe actually getting a release date.

Beyonce and others have done it prior to Eminem but I'm surprised anyone laughed at you suggesting it for GN'R. If anything, they laughter probably came from people not expecting GNR to do something right lol 

• Like 2

Kanye did it with Yeezus (digital first, then physical, not sure if it was a surprise). And let's not forget when U2 spammed everyone with iTunes with their shit (not sure if that one ended up getting a physical release)

Edited by Coma16
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Why? How on earth could you figure this just based on those pictures? The girl went to several shows, she's obviously a fan. And no, not a chance that a hardcore fan wouldn't know what Hard Skool is. Every single streaming that I've watched has lots of people asking for Hard Skool, it's actually annoying as fuck.

It's just one of many theories. Who knows. I'd love to ask her myself.

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

That user likes to make shallow assumptions about someone based on their appearance (and probably gender). 

Of course. One of two genders. :D

Edited by Sweersa

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

Kanye did it with Yeezus (digital first, then physical, not sure if it was a surprise). And let's not forget when U2 spammed everyone with iTunes with their shit (not sure if that one ended up getting a physical release)

Yeah it did, a month or so later I think.....

Just now, Original said:

With only a handful of shows left I don't se what the point of playing Hard Skool would be?  

Just getting the damn thing out there?! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Original said:

With only a handful of shows left I don't se what the point of playing Hard Skool would be?  

You mean outside of the obvious point that it’s cool/normal for bands to play/release new music?

Why did Lana Del Rey randomly release 3 songs from an upcoming album four months ago..and then a new single last week when the full album doesn’t even come out until late October? I’m honestly not really sure but I’ll take it over artists not releasing new stuff.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Original said:

Really? An established band that has done zero press since partially reuniting 5.5 years ago, released 1 album in almost 30 years, and still sells out stadiums. The point is... releasing new music rather than appearing to be just some nostalgia act? Proving they have something to offer?  Seems a little far fetched though!

• Like 2