Hard Skool is coming!

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think he doesn't want to play it, but he just can't operate under pressure; it probably makes it worse for him, especially if he's nervous about playing it (although he wants to).

This. 

I’m just as annoyed, tired, disappointed, and frustrated as everybody else that they haven’t played the song, but deep down I know this is why (or at least, what I believe). 

I guess I’m just really empathetic when it comes to stuff like this. I get it. 

I foolishly am still holding out hope. We might get lucky one of these last handful of shows and Axl is just really feeling it and we finally get the debut. We’ll see. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think he doesn't want to play it, but he just can't operate under pressure; it probably makes it worse for him, especially if he's nervous about playing it (although he wants to).

It's a plausible theory, however I think if he really felt that way he would be doing way more soundchecks and singing it a million times there until he feels good about it.

4 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

This. 

I’m just as annoyed, tired, disappointed, and frustrated as everybody else that they haven’t played the song, but deep down I know this is why (or at least, what I believe is part of it). 

I foolishly am still holding out hope. We might get lucky one of these last handful of shows and Axl is just really feeling it and we finally get the debut. We’ll see. 

3 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

This. 

I’m just as annoyed, tired, disappointed, and frustrated as everybody else that they haven’t played the song, but deep down I know this is why (or at least, what I believe). 

I want to feel like this, but I feel too burned out by the band and wanting to hear this song. I have been following every show since 2019 hoping for it, and a certain point I feel like I just need to move on from it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's a plausible theory, however I think if he really felt that way he would be doing way more soundchecks and singing it a million times there until he feels good about it.

It may be more than just about not feeling able/confident to sing it. I have wondered if @RussTCB's theory about why Street Of Dreams hasn't been played applies to Hard School, too - maybe Axl doesn't feel comfortable to sing these lyrics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I want to feel like this, but I feel too burned out by the band and wanting to hear this song. I have been following every show since 2019 hoping for it, and a certain point I feel like I just need to move on from it.

I’m just the same as you, believe me. That first show back in 2019 with the song in the alt setlist and everybody freaking out about it, only for it to not be played feels like child’s play compared to where we’re at now. 

If it’s any consolation, the US tour (and probably the rest of the shows in 2021) is almost over so at least our suffering will also end soon enough. :lol:

7 minutes ago, LandOla said:

It was posted as an instagram story. Aren't those only available for a short period of time and then get deleted automatically?

They don't get deleted automatically so soon. The stories she posted before this one are still there.

50 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He's been the lead singer of a band for about 40 years. I don't think "pressure" is a big issue. I also don't think he's too shy or nervous to sing a song in front of people. Maybe he just doesn't like the song? There's a reason it didn't end up on Chinese Democracy. 

Edited by RockstarDealingacademy

25 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It may be more than just about not feeling able/confident to sing it. I have wondered if @RussTCB's theory about why Street Of Dreams hasn't been played applies to Hard School, too - maybe Axl doesn't feel comfortable to sing these lyrics.

I don't think it's plausible at all that the song is being soundchecked a million times if it was never going to be played anyway. He also sang it at atleast 1 soundcheck before, so I don't think this entire theory holds any truth to it that he's insecure or something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RockstarDealingacademy said:

He's been the lead singer of a band for about 40 years. I don't think "pressure" is a big issue. I also don't think he's too shy or nervous to sing a song in front of people. Maybe he just doesn't like the song? There's a reason it didn't end up on Chinese Democracy. 

You think Axl would want the band to rework a song he doesn't like, and then release it as a single? ..just no

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RockstarDealingacademy said:

If he didn't like the song, he wouldn't want to release it at all. He also mentioned it in the 2008 chats, so it's clear that he never abandoned it. I guess the reason it didn't make CD was that it didn't fit, because it's more a straight rocker compared to the other songs on there.

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't think it's plausible at all that the song is being soundchecked a million times if it was never going to be played anyway. He also sang it at atleast 1 soundcheck before, so I don't think this entire theory holds any truth to it that he's insecure or something.

I can't think of another explanation, though.

Edited by Blackstar

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It wouldn't be too surprising if Axl saves the 'new' stuff until 2the last 2 or 3 shows, like he's done before. I have no idea what they're waiting for at this point, though. Clearly the band wants to play it and the studio version is ready to go... :shrugs:

when has he done that before?

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

If he didn't like the song, he wouldn't want to release it at all. He also mentioned it in the 2008 chats, so it's clear that he never abandoned it. I guess the reason it didn't make CD was that it didn't fit, because it's more a straight rocker compared to the other songs on there.

I can't think of another explanation, though.

This is a big guess, but worst case could be that HS is just planned for a later release date than anything close to now, and Slash and Duff just soundcheck it to either have some fun at soundcheck, or just to have it possible as an option to start playing it now already, if Axl wants to.

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

when has he done that before?

2014 at least (Yesterdays and Marseilles, and Prostitute and TWAT which were rarities). The last few shows in 2006 he played stuff like Down On The Farm and brought out guests like Izzy and Lars... idk he seems to 'bring it' more near the end of a tour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe are under pressure to bring Axl diarrhea....:D

• Haha 1

I think Hardskool is clearly part of a digital marketing campaign right now, and already has an internal pre-determined release schedule set (on or after which it will be played live). It may not be a coincidence that the random woman met Axl and told people on social media she heard HS, followed by Slash, Meeghan and Susan further sharing soundcheck recordings. The events are either related (meaning the initial social media post and subsequent media coverage was planned or intended) or the GN'R PR team jumped on the initial social/media hype. Either way, it is good news.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I think Hardskool is clearly part of a digital marketing campaign right now, and already has an internal pre-determined release schedule set (on or after which it will be played live). It may not be a coincidence that the random woman met Axl and told people on social media she heard HS, followed by Slash, Meeghan and Susan further sharing soundcheck recordings. The events are either related (meaning the initial social media post and subsequent media coverage was planned or intended) or the GN'R PR team jumped on the initial social/media hype. Either way, it is good news.

Just a detail: Meegan shared the soundcheck clip (and then deleted it) a few shows and a couple of weeks before the fan posted on social media about meeting Axl and hearing HS.

• Like 1